Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

one more simple little install for you guys :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 16psibrick
3 way kicks in a G, regardless of sedan or coupe, would look MUCH more recessed than in the IS350, keep in mind the IS does NOT have a plastic stock kick piece, and has the emergency brake there so the kick panel has to be where it is

anyway, here is hwat 3 way kicks in a G pretty much looks like:

Wow,

The sedan picks looks awesome. I'm trying to find out if the new G without the Bose system has the same opening in the front door as the Bose version (which comes with 10" subs in the front). If so, I'd love to put 8's or 10's in the front doors and mids in the kicks like you've shown in the above pictures. I could also put 8's in the doors and tweeters in the "a" pillars, but I'm afraid there would be too big a gap in the frequencies between these two speakers. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

If I can't get the car set up that way, how would you suggest I go about getting decent bass response without resorting to a sub? I'm not gonna be pounding out my music, just want to listen to some rock & roll (Rush might be as hard as it gets). I can't afford to lose any trunk space with 2 kids and all the cr@p they bring in tow. Would love to hear your suggestions.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
if you can, i suggest DLS ultimate iridium 8.3 3 way set, 8" midbass, 3" mid, and 1" tweet, it should fit and give you AWESOME midbass, but be sure to dampen your doors well

i dont suggest a sub int he door, as it would be very heavy, difficult to install and VERY difficult to tune to sound right (lots of AP tuning and lots of fabrication)

B

Old 12-01-2006, 05:35 PM
if you can, i suggest DLS ultimate iridium 8.3 3 way set, 8" midbass, 3" mid, and 1" tweet, it should fit and give you AWESOME midbass, but be sure to dampen your doors well

i dont suggest a sub int he door, as it would be very heavy, difficult to install and VERY difficult to tune to sound right (lots of AP tuning and lots of fabrication)

B
Thanks. I'm sure an 8" 3 way will be fine, too. The G comes with tweeter mounts in the a pillars, would you suggest I keep 'em there? If so, would you suggest that I put the mid range ini the kick pod or mount it in/on the door panel somewhere? Also, I know the DLS speakers are great, but my budget can't do $1000 on a set of speakers. In the under $200 range, what would you recommend? I've read good things about CDT and Cadence among others.

One last question (for now). What do you suggest for back deck speakers? I've heard getting coax speakers just confuses things. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by shoeless; 12-01-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:23 PM
i suggest keeping hte tweet and midrange in the kicks also froget rear deck sapekarse, take them out to get better bass into the car

there isnt a 3 way comp set in the 200 dollar range or below...

for that kind of money, umm...i suggest either saving up a bit, or say..elemental designs edi6500 6.5" comp set for 250 bucks, or DLS 426 component coax for around 150, tere are tons of others in that price range as well...

but the Edi works well in that range

Old 12-01-2006, 10:13 PM
i suggest keeping hte tweet and midrange in the kicks also froget rear deck sapekarse, take them out to get better bass into the car

there isnt a 3 way comp set in the 200 dollar range or below...

for that kind of money, umm...i suggest either saving up a bit, or say..elemental designs edi6500 6.5" comp set for 250 bucks, or DLS 426 component coax for around 150, tere are tons of others in that price range as well...

but the Edi works well in that range
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to up my limits to get some decent stuff So... while I have heard great things about the LDS, I just can't go that high in price. Can I buy a decent set of 8" dirvers and some crossovers and hook them up to a 4" 2-way component system to round out the range in the front of the car?

Please bear with me as I have a couple more noob-esque questions. I know I don't want to put coax speakers in the rear as it screws up imaging, but can I place a couple of 6x9 woofers in the holes back there for a little more low end? Also, with the exising tweeters already in the "a" pillars do I just disconnect them and put the tweeters in the kick pod? If so, do I assume that I need to angle them in such a way that they bounce off the opposite door's window for better imaging?

Thanks for enduring me.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:58 AM
well not really, for some reason a lot of people seem to thin all speakers are like lasers, where hte sound travels in a beam towardsa a certain point. in all honesty, if we could see audio waves, you will see that most tweets radiate in a pretty wide pattern, some are more directional than others of course...

the DLS tweet for example, seem to work well in offaxis (pointed away form listener) set ups so...you dont really need to point them at you to achieve good sound.

back to yoru questions though.

in my strongest opinion, the rear deck speakres should be removed, and the grilles left in place to act as a pass through for the bass to getinto the cabin. get a subwoofer in the trunk to take care of your low frequencies. two 6x9s in the rear deck playing free air isnt going to get you much real low frequencies and probably sound bad and cause rattles while doing it it, not to mention having a terrible time just findin ga 6x9 that would fit there...

and aside from kicker a while back, i dont recall many people making quality 6x9 woofers anymore

if you are on a budget, i would forget about an 8", very few manufactuers make quality 8" midbasses (not 8"sub, you want a true midbass in the door)...and those are most likely NOT in your price range.

so i would make some kind of adapater and just do a 6.5" in the door

Old 12-02-2006, 01:10 AM
Edited w/ updated url's.

Got it. Unfortunately, as I said before, a sub is just not gonna work with two kiddies and all their crap. If I can't have a sub, here's what I'm thinkin':

I have seen these 8" drivers which I think could fit nicely in the front door panels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MB-QUART-Q-8-MIDBASS-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-NEW-QM-210TX2_W0QQitemZ230058145513QQihZ013QQcategoryZ18800QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
My first question is can/could I pair them with a set of 4" or 5 1/4" MB quart components just using a 3-way x/o or is this a bad idea.

Secondly, this 4 channel amp caught my eye:

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2886

Since I'll be keeping the stock H/U, I plan to use this and a LOC to drive the system.

I can't sacrifice the trunk space for a sub due to two small children and all the cr@p this car is gonna have to carry so I'm thinking I might install these in the 6 x 9 slots on the rear deck, as I read that coax speakers in the back totally screw up imaging.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-837

If you have a better suggestion (s) on the rear deck (no sub in trunk) I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by shoeless; 12-02-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:10 PM
amp is fine, speakres is fine, but i still dont sugegst the 6x9s, TB 6x9s freeair int he stock location, provided it will fit, wont give you much real bass and prolly rattle a bit...

still suggest doing a real sub in the trunk, how a 4080 box

b

Old 12-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
On the IS, why did you go with a lighter carpet?

Old 12-02-2006, 07:20 PM
there is nothing within my upholstery supplier's inventory that matched, plus the bottom carpet is of a different shade than the side walls.

in the carpet i use, there is black, and then next darkest is this graphite, the black looked bad when i tried it, so this was the closest color i can come up with.

think of the trunk color as about one to two shades darker than the G35's carpet. my carpet matches with the G really well: