Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Video while driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Video while driving?

Searched for this but couldn't find anything: I have a new 07 G sedan, and the screen is capable of playing video when the parking brake is on (using a video ipod). Is there a way to disable the parking brake requirement?

Note that I'm not a fan of video while driving, but I have young kids and longish trips go much more smoothly with video...

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
parking brake as in e-brake? if so, thent hey basically did all the work for you, just hit the e-brake until it clicks just once, it doesnt engage till about3 clicks

Old 12-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Otacon132
parking brake as in e-brake? if so, thent hey basically did all the work for you, just hit the e-brake until it clicks just once, it doesnt engage till about3 clicks
Thanks for the answer - I'm guessing there's a way to actually bypass though? Also, I just realized that once the car starts rolling (ebrake or not) the video goes off again. That one's probably harder to beat...

Old 12-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are going to have to install a switch that interrupts the vehicle speed sensor. It should be a wire going to the navigation unit. I do not know first hand on the 07 g sedan, so you will have to try and find a service manual to find out which wire, cut it and install a switch. The only thing is that the navigation will not track your movements unless the switch is completing the circuit.

Mark

Old 02-21-2007, 02:09 AM
Unhappy Where can vehicle speed bypass switch instructions be found?

I have an 07 G35 Sedan. I hate the fact I can't use a LOT of the navigation features while the car is moving. At least the Garmin I used in my last car enabled via a setting you do enable that protection or disable it.

In any event, I've heard lots about the ability to install a switch to temporarily by pass the vehicle speed sensor to enable you to fake the Nav system out while you look for Points of Interests, etc. and then click it back on and let it locate you and route you.

Can anyone route me to a forum thread where the actual procedure can be found to put a switch like this in? I'm thinking a rocker switch mounted between the heated seat switches would be great, but I guess to avoid voiding any warranties, hiding the switch somewhere is best.

Of course with my luck, Infiniti probably figured out a way to stop users from doing this in '07 but I hope not. It's the most stupid thing I've ever seen. If I'm in the passenger seat and my wife is driving, why shouldn't I be able to find the next CostCo on the road ahead? They could have at least wired the sensor into the passenger seat weight check so that if it were occupied, you could access all features of the Nav and phone book.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated?

Old 02-21-2007, 02:24 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cbrmark923
You are going to have to install a switch that interrupts the vehicle speed sensor.
Don't mess with the speed sensor if you just want to watch video. You need to find the wire that the screen is getting it's signal from the parking brake and ground it. That will allow you to watch video while driving.

For interrupting the speed sensor so you can program your nav while driving:

All you need to do is find out which wire sends the speed sensor signal to the nav system. Cut it and wire it to a switch. I used my trunk lock since it was right there and I didn't use it for anything else. You can still use the trunk lock for what it was used for originally as well.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:10 PM
So is there any way without purchasing the wiring manual to determine the color and location of the vehicle speed wire in the 07 G35 Sedan and the parking break signal to the DVD screen? Anyone have the technical docs for an 07 yet that might be able to help?

Old 02-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Meatshackle.... Any more info on how you used your trunk lock button (I am not sure what button that is. The one in the glove box for valet?) How hard was it for you to wire this. Can it be done without pulling pieces of the car apart (in other words, just reaching up from underneith?

Old 02-21-2007, 12:27 PM
im not sure about the g, but when i had my 3series, i had to install a switch in the wire i used to ground the ebrake. it was an aftermarket head unit though, but ive heard alot of the factory ones are like that now. the good thing about the switch is you can turn it on or off so your brake warning light doesnt have to be on all the time

Old 02-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
You only need to remove the glove compartment. From there you can access the nav harnesses. Then you just cut the speed sensor wire, use some couplers and wire to extend them to be able to reach the switch, and hook them up to the switch. When the trunk/valet switch is "on" the speed sensor wire "circuit" is closed and your nav will receive the signal. When you switch it to "off" it opens the circuit and your nav will think your are not moving.

-2' of small gauge wire (18-22)
-2 couplers
-2 splicers for the trunk wires

The following users liked this post:
Cabrito (12-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Meatshackle is correct. There is a wire going to you ebrake that when you pull the ebrake it completes a ground. just disconnect the wire and put a lug on it. Connect the lug to a ground point near the ebrake. Video should work all the time. Remember you can get a ticket in most states for driving with video on forward of the seats.

The following users liked this post:
Cabrito (12-21-2019)
Old 02-22-2007, 03:18 AM
Meatshackle,

Are you saying that you leave the trunk/valet switch connected as is but just connect the NAV wires to it (piggyback) and the switch then serves a dual purpose? No chance of this sending voltage to the Nav system and ruining it?

ANYONE ELSE, do you have a wiring manual so for the '07 we know what color the NAV wire is that we need to cut and extend to the valet switch in the glove box?

Also, on the M45 forum, they talk about problems when they cut their Nav system and switch it. Supposedly, when you break the circuit, use the GPS for finding a POI, etc., and then flip the switch to start the Nav again, you have problems (you're shown off route, etc.) and until you come to a stop and start again, it doesn't fix itself. Now I think they mentioned that the NAV has a dead reconing system that will continue to figure out your location when you don't have GPS signal. Maybe on the G35 we don't have that and the Nav system only uses the GPS signal so it resyncs fairly quickly as you are driving. Anyone know?

Old 02-22-2007, 03:25 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
That's a good question. The wires for that switch are just for sensing an open or closed circuit. I never hooked a multimeter up to it to check how much goes through it but it shouldn't be much at all. If you want to be safe you can disconnect the trunk wires and splice them together and then use the trunk switch just for the nav wires. I don't think I've ever used that switch for what it was originally intended for in the 4 years I've had the G.

I don't know about the new systems but my car would "find" itself in about 3 seconds after programming while moving.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm thinking that likely, the NAV system in the M series is fancier and includes the dead reckoning system that would continue to track you while the gps signal isn't received. On the G series, they probably didn't include that feature. But with the new 07 G35, it's anyones guess. I hope someone soon with an '07 Sedan makes this modification and can let us know. Also, the color of the wires in '07 to cut and apply to the switch. Thanks for you help.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:56 PM
My 04 G35 has dead reckoning.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Video while driving?