Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Invisicord Install Tutorial

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jin22gt
Is it easy to remove the V1 from the rear view mirror mount(www.countryjoycrafts.com)?
Im always in the city and need to remove the V1 from sight.
How exactly is the V1 clipped on to the mount? does it clip on like the suction cup mount?

which would you guys recommend mikes mount or countryjoycrafts.com? Is mikes mount made out of aluminun too? Does the mounts cause rattling?

thanks
bump had same question

Old 02-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Mike's mount and it works great. My RX65 attaches just like the suction cup mount. Just unplug the invisicord, press the release button and slide off. The Mike's mount did rattle a little, then I took a small piece of balsa wood, shaved into a wedge, and no more problem.

Last edited by GGRJR; 11-12-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 355 Likes on 215 Posts
nice

Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by GGRJR
I have teh Mike's moun t and it works great. My RX65 attaches just like the suction cup mount. Just unplug teh invisicord, press teh release button and slide off. The Mike's mount did rattle a little, then I took a small piece of balsa wood, shaved into a wedge, and no more problem.
Yep, I just installed mine a month ago, and noticed the rattle right away. It was pretty clear there's a bit of play in the connection. I planned on wedging something in there to keep it nice and tight! I'm glad to hear that solution worked for you!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:27 PM
int
First off, to those of you looking at Invisicord, I don't have any experience with them but I do with stealthcords.com Customer Service who I have to say are INCREDIBLE! I would highly recommend buying from them, especially with the 30% off coupon in this thread.

I am waiting to get my cord, but in the interim I wanted to ask: If I hard-wire something to the power rear-view mirror, can I turn the device on and off by turning the powered mirror on and off? Basically, I want a 'kill switch' to be able to manually turn off the device without holding down a power button. How can I achieve this if I'm hard-wiring into the mirror? If it requires installing a 'switch', anyone have a DIY?

Old 10-19-2009, 02:41 PM
int
Originally Posted by int
First off, to those of you looking at Invisicord, I don't have any experience with them but I do with stealthcords.com Customer Service who I have to say are INCREDIBLE! I would highly recommend buying from them, especially with the 30% off coupon in this thread.

I am waiting to get my cord, but in the interim I wanted to ask: If I hard-wire something to the power rear-view mirror, can I turn the device on and off by turning the powered mirror on and off? Basically, I want a 'kill switch' to be able to manually turn off the device without holding down a power button. How can I achieve this if I'm hard-wiring into the mirror? If it requires installing a 'switch', anyone have a DIY?

Anyone?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by int
Anyone?
Int, Invisicord is the original product, Stealthcords came along about 2-3 years later to make a similar product. I worked with the folks here to design the first Invisicord to fit the Nissan/Infiniti models. If you have any questions, definitely email me. I have many customers across many boards since this was designed over 5 years ago. Just to give you a little history of Invisicord since you have no experience with us.

Currently I know of no way to turn off the device without killing the ignition or unplugging the power cord or using the detector's on/off switch. Interesting idea, and I could design something to do this, but it would add bulk and more visibility to the Invisicord.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by int

Thank you INT for the compliment!

As far as a switch, I agree with Teamspeed - I don't believe there is a way to do what you're looking to do.

From my experience if detectors are illegal in your state, whether on or off the Police would see just having the detector visible would constitute a ticket. As long as you're unplugging the wire from the side of the detector the cords are fairly durable - it is when you unplug the wire from the back of the mirror that you jeopardize the integrity of the cord.

Thanks again!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:13 PM
int
Originally Posted by TeamSpeed
Int, Invisicord is the original product, Stealthcords came along about 2-3 years later to make a similar product. I worked with the folks here to design the first Invisicord to fit the Nissan/Infiniti models. If you have any questions, definitely email me. I have many customers across many boards since this was designed over 5 years ago. Just to give you a little history of Invisicord since you have no experience with us.

Currently I know of no way to turn off the device without killing the ignition or unplugging the power cord or using the detector's on/off switch. Interesting idea, and I could design something to do this, but it would add bulk and more visibility to the Invisicord.
I appreciate you providing the history of Invisicord. I was just speaking from my personal experience with StealthCords. I do a lot of online shopping, and I've never had a company treat me as well as Rick at Stealthcords has. I was originally going to pick up the cord from Invisicord, but something about the Invisicord website didn't sit well with me (at least compared to the Stealthcords site), and the price (plus shipping to where I live, Canada) was a lot higher at Invisicord than at Stealthcords, from what I remember. Anyway, just sharing my experience!

As far as what I'm looking to do, ideally, I want the power mirror 'on/off' switch to turn the radar detector on and off as well. I want the power button of the mirror to cut the power to the device pulling power from the same place it is getting power from too. Reaching up to your rear-view mirror to turn it off doesn't look all that suspicious, at least not to me, whereas flipping down your visor to get to the radar detector whenever you have an alert MIGHT look a little strange to law enforcement. Mirror power button, or a small switch put in series with the Invisicord/Stealthcord cable, that can be mounted right under (or next to) the power mirror for quick access.

If anyone has a good idea on how to do what I'm looking to get done, please let me know! Thanks =)

Last edited by int; 10-25-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:18 PM
int
Originally Posted by Stealthcords
Thank you INT for the compliment!
No need to thank me, just speaking the truth. If your service was ****ty, I would've said that it was =) Thanks to you and your team for getting me my cord so quickly. The instructions included are great as well!

As far as:
Originally Posted by Stealthcords
From my experience if detectors are illegal in your state, whether on or off the Police would see just having the detector visible would constitute a ticket. As long as you're unplugging the wire from the side of the detector the cords are fairly durable - it is when you unplug the wire from the back of the mirror that you jeopardize the integrity of the cord.
The detector wouldn't be visible (not physically, or even by a RDD), but just in case you're put into a situation where you're driving through a state or area where you don't feel comfy having it on as you pass by a LEO, I want a quick way of powering it off without ever having to touch the detector.

I'm sure what I'm asking for has been done by someone. Unfortunately, my knowledge of electronics is limited, and so I have to ask without actually being able to figure this out myself =/

Old 11-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Static with Detector On

So, just wanted to se if anyone has heard of this issue and has been able to resolve it.

I have been using the cord with a Solo X2 on my 2005 G35x for the past year. I'm pretty sure I installed it right since it works. However, from day one I cannot tune into an FM station without getting horrific static while I'm running the detector. As soon as I turn off the detector, no more static. AM stations work just fine as well as the CD player.

Any thoughts? Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
George

Old 11-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Since invisicord didn't work with my detector (Cobra), I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to tap into the wiring without having the stiff connector plugs like on the end of the invisicord. I was able to just jam the wires in there, and it worked but was nowhere close to stable. I also tried soldering but not much luck. Is there a better solder or a good plug/connector to put on the end to tap into the wires themselves or to push into the plug?

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2009, 03:10 PM
sorry - double post...

Old 11-13-2009, 04:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Muddy4DSM
Since invisicord didn't work with my detector (Cobra), I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to tap into the wiring without having the stiff connector plugs like on the end of the invisicord. I was able to just jam the wires in there, and it worked but was nowhere close to stable. I also tried soldering but not much luck. Is there a better solder or a good plug/connector to put on the end to tap into the wires themselves or to push into the plug?

Thanks!
I think you could just go with a crimp on connector, forget the exact name. How they work is you just strip back a little bit of the out covering around the group of wires. The crimp on has the wire pass through it as it is split in half and it will pierce the insulation. The wire to the device sits beside the original. You close the halfs and you now have your power. Works fine for low power loads.

For the guy who wants his mirror to turn off the detector. You could put a relay in line with the power to the mirror. With the mirror power on the relay would be energized which would then power on the detector. To do this I would see if you could find a connector like the original one for the mirror, maybe if necessary at a wrecking yard. You want a relay that would present a very low voltage drop across it so as not to affect the operation of the mirror. One in parallel could also work. That is with the mirror off the relay is energized. With the mirror on it drops out due to the current flow through the mirror. You just select the other set of contacts. Either one is somewhat of a balancing act but should work. Jameco Electronics may be a good source for something like this.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by pfarmer
I think you could just go with a crimp on connector, forget the exact name. How they work is you just strip back a little bit of the out covering around the group of wires. The crimp on has the wire pass through it as it is split in half and it will pierce the insulation. The wire to the device sits beside the original. You close the halfs and you now have your power. Works fine for low power loads.

For the guy who wants his mirror to turn off the detector. You could put a relay in line with the power to the mirror. With the mirror power on the relay would be energized which would then power on the detector. To do this I would see if you could find a connector like the original one for the mirror, maybe if necessary at a wrecking yard. You want a relay that would present a very low voltage drop across it so as not to affect the operation of the mirror. One in parallel could also work. That is with the mirror off the relay is energized. With the mirror on it drops out due to the current flow through the mirror. You just select the other set of contacts. Either one is somewhat of a balancing act but should work. Jameco Electronics may be a good source for something like this.
I've used those crimps before and if I could hide them somewhere, then that'd be a great option. Maybe I can find some that are really small that won't look completely out of place since the back of the mirror is so visible. I wonder if Radio Shack has stiff end connectors like are use on the actual invisicord and sorta make my own. Looks like it's a trip to the 'Shack after work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Invisicord Install Tutorial