Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

auto door locking??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2007 | 12:17 AM
Back in SD**
Premier Member
The crooks have the key, maybe?

Old 03-28-2007 | 09:41 PM
I think the car is virtually impossible to start without the transponder key, so if the car has been driven away it would mean a key was used. You can't do a simple old-time hot wire on transponder key equipped cars.

Leaving a functioning key in the car is always a bad idea, but apparently people do it. When I had my headlights stolen, I asked the police officer why the thieves ransacked my glove box and console but did not take the radar detector or CDs (I don't think I actually mentioned the radar detector!) or other items. He said they were looking for a key, because sometimes people leave their spare key in the car.

Old 03-29-2007 | 11:07 AM
Registered
Premier Member
worse thing to do is leave a spare in the car..wats the point if ur locked out..ghey

anyways, i'm a bit confused on wen it does autolock..I would assume if u have ur car running, it does not autolock..but once ur key is out..then it would do the autolock..am I right?

Old 03-29-2007 | 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by dyenboy
worse thing to do is leave a spare in the car..wats the point if ur locked out..ghey

anyways, i'm a bit confused on wen it does autolock..I would assume if u have ur car running, it does not autolock..but once ur key is out..then it would do the autolock..am I right?
The doors never "auto-lock". The only thing even resembling auto-lock is when they "re-lock" if you unlock them with the fob and don't open a door within 1 minute.

Old 03-30-2007 | 08:52 PM
When I bought my car they gave me 4 sets of keys. 2 with fobs, 1 valet (did I spell that right?) and one small metal key that fits in a credit card size case that I can keep in my wallet. The small one will open the doors but won't start the car. Maybe you could order one?

I would never ever leave the keys in my car. Not even in my own garage. It's starting to be an older more common car now but still I treat it like it's my child. I couldn't stand to see my car stolen.

Old 04-13-2007 | 09:32 AM
I wouldn't leave my keys in the car either! I'm not sure where you live but not here. I don't even want to take the chance.

Old 02-13-2008 | 12:55 AM
There must be an autolock feature on the 2003 Sedan. I've been locked out of my car twice. The first time I thought I must have inadvertently locked it on my way out, the second time it happened convinced me the door locked on its own, maybe after some time delay (1-2 minutes). Both times with the key in, and the car running. Anyone know how to deactivate that feature?? It's quite annoying.

For those that say there is no autolock feature, mine has it.....but maybe it's a glitch or a fault with the system?? But my car definitely locks itself!!!!

Old 02-13-2008 | 02:29 AM
back from the dead, I have the same issue my car locks the driver door only with the keys in the ignition both with the car running and off but keys in. I also have the KP window module and I think I remember reading something about a locking feature and that it needs to be off for the window module to work?? anyone confirm this, KP maybe

Old 02-13-2008 | 10:19 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by Trigonal
There must be an autolock feature on the 2003 Sedan. I've been locked out of my car twice. The first time I thought I must have inadvertently locked it on my way out, the second time it happened convinced me the door locked on its own, maybe after some time delay (1-2 minutes). Both times with the key in, and the car running. Anyone know how to deactivate that feature?? It's quite annoying.

For those that say there is no autolock feature, mine has it.....but maybe it's a glitch or a fault with the system?? But my car definitely locks itself!!!!
There is NO auto-lock feature on your 03. This feature has NEVER been on the G, whether it be a 1st or 2nd gen model.

Old 02-13-2008 | 02:36 PM
Missing the point

I am not going to argue that point, as you are probably correct. But we digress from the issue. My car, and apparently many others, have experienced the same problem. The car will lock itself with the key in the ignition and the car running. So there is a glitch or a malfunction in mine, and many other vehicles. Can it be fixed is the issue! For those of us that have the problem, it is annoying. I don't care if the manufacturer intended it or not.

Old 02-13-2008 | 04:07 PM
Other than the auto re-lock feature that follows a key fob unlock, I'm not aware of any other auto lock feature.

I've never been locked out of my car as described earlier but I have had issues with the locks in cold weather. Occasionally I'll try to lock the doors but they aren't able to lock. I can usually hear the locking noise followed by a short grinding sound and then they'll all unlock. On a couple of occasions I've actually been locked in the car. Again, this happens in the cold weather. Same symptoms as described above except I'm trying to unlock the car. Most likely these problems are my fault as I do wash the car every couple of weeks. The water is probably freezing somewhere and causing the problems.

Old 02-13-2008 | 05:49 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by Trigonal
I am not going to argue that point, as you are probably correct. But we digress from the issue. My car, and apparently many others, have experienced the same problem. The car will lock itself with the key in the ignition and the car running. So there is a glitch or a malfunction in mine, and many other vehicles. Can it be fixed is the issue! For those of us that have the problem, it is annoying. I don't care if the manufacturer intended it or not.
I wouldn't say many other members are experiencing this. I've been here for awhile and have owned 2 G35s and I have never heard/read about this auto-locking issue. Like already mentioned, you more than likely have locked the doors yourself inadvertently when you exited the car. But if this truly is a gremlin in your G, your best bet is to take it to the dealer.

Old 02-17-2008 | 01:15 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 03Sg35
back from the dead, I have the same issue my car locks the driver door only with the keys in the ignition both with the car running and off but keys in. I also have the KP window module and I think I remember reading something about a locking feature and that it needs to be off for the window module to work?? anyone confirm this, KP maybe
The KPtech module has the ability to lock the doors ~6 seconds after the igntion it turned on. This feature was inteded for the earlier coupes, as the earlier coupes allowed you to open a locked door by simply pulling on the door handle. On the sedans if you pull on the door handle with the door locked the doors won't open, so it was very inconvenient. The KPtech module has no unlocking abilities.

If you don't want to use the autolocking feature of the KPtechnologies module the best bet is to disconnect the yellow wire from the module.