Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Factory Bose + HU upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Bose + HU upgrade

Possible to put in DD HU and retain the factory Bose speakers??

I went to bestBuy and the guy there said that Bose speakers won't work w/ anything but a Bose HU..

Old 03-23-2007, 09:04 PM
um thats not true at all!!
im getting mine done next week

Old 03-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It's apparent that the best buy guy doesn't know anything about our system. You can use the Bose speakers, but you should consider replacing them. But the best advice I could give would be to replace the Bose amp, which is just to the left of the spare tire, before replacing the Bose head unit.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:33 PM
nw if you replaced the amp all the wires to the speakers are already there so then after that replace to the DD HU ...THEn speakers if sound quailty isnt a big deal off the hop

Old 03-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't understand what you just posted.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Boost Addict
Originally Posted by jayjayg35
nw if you replaced the amp all the wires to the speakers are already there so then after that replace to the DD HU ...THEn speakers if sound quailty isnt a big deal off the hop

Where u high honestly. I tried adding words to make sense of it and still nothing. I got out of it was this if I was to replace the stock wires,amps and it still sounds ok that is good is that kinda what u where going for?

Old 03-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
he was just telling you that so you would buy speakers as well.

-sean

Old 03-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
1. option 1: straight wire up (harness to harness like anormal HU), will work fine, but there will be an amount of HISS in the background. varies from HU to HU...

2. option 2: straight wire up plus adapter, such as scosche, soundgate...something with an internal adjustment etc...this you would ge tpretty much like a stock sound, very little if any HISS issues. though it may not be as powerful as stock...again varies from HU to HU

3. option 3" not sure why you would do this but...straight wire up at behind the HU, then connecting input side and outputside of the bose amp harness and unplug them from the amp, bypassing hte amp. so everything is straight off HU power...wont be as powerful as stock bose...thats about it lol

Old 03-27-2007, 11:11 AM
option 4: drive your car to sj and have bing hk it uppppp! one and you're done!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Boost Addict
Originally Posted by dukieman23
option 4: drive your car to sj and have bing hk it uppppp! one and you're done!

Wow proper english would be nice.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:10 PM
I was told that changing the head unit but not the speakers would be a down grade sound wise as well

Old 03-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Step Ur Game Up
I was told that changing the head unit but not the speakers would be a down grade sound wise as well
Who told you that? A stereo salesman perhaps?

The OEM head unit isn't bad, as far as sound output. Reliability is something differnt. It's made by Clarion and has a pretty flat output signal for the Bose unit. The non-Bose units have a little bit of a "loudness" curve to them that isn't as bad as the Bose amp.

In my sedan, I have the OEM Bose HU connected to a high quality amp and good speakers and a sub and it sounds much better than stock and about the same as any other aftermarket system I've had. The OEM HU just doesn't give the flexibility or adjustment of most aftermarket HU's.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:18 PM
What I did was to add 1/4 watt 100ohm resistors in between the scosche harness and the D3 harness. all 8 speaker wires. Just a wild guess, but it ain't bad. Just temporary til I decide what components to get. If I were to try it again I think I would use 150ohm resistors.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:34 PM
no i wasnt high, i was half falling asleep when i typed that.

hey Cptmorgemaker watch your comments plz; no reason to talk like that. you could just say your comment didnt make sense!

what i meant to say was that you could change your HU, and change the factory amp to an aftermarket one because the wiring is all for the speakers are all there (power cable and RCA'S for the amp is something you would have to install) and keep the factory speakers in for now. But i believe i read somewhere on here that the speakers in the car run @ 2 OHM which i believe i read wont sound very good.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:00 AM
ON
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 16psibrick
2. option 2: straight wire up plus adapter, such as scosche, soundgate...something with an internal adjustment etc...this you would ge tpretty much like a stock sound, very little if any HISS issues. though it may not be as powerful as stock...again varies from HU to HU
That's what i did when i installed my Z1. All i did was change my HU and added a sub and it sounds way better than the OEM BLOSE System.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Factory Bose + HU upgrade