Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

V1 Installation issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2003 | 12:53 PM
|
V1 Installation issues

Talk about frustrating...I spent a good few hours taking apart my dash Saturday night to hardwire the V1 and I could not get the remote display to work. I tried everything! It worked fine with the lighter adapter, but with the hardwire adapter, nothing. I have called Valentine twice and they have been absolutely helpful (some of the best customer service I have had!). I re-ran all the rj-11 wires and still nothing, so

Valentine is overnighting me a new hardwire adapter so I can install it before I go away on a long trip this weekend. I will let you know the results.

Old 12-16-2003 | 05:25 PM
Administrator
Re: V1 Installation issues

Yeah, Valentine is great to deal with and their customer service is second to none. They go out of their way to help.

If it works with the lighter adapter, it should work with the hardwire, so there is probably something wrong with the adapter itself. Is this the first time you've used it?

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 12-16-2003 | 07:48 PM

Did you try reversing the rj-11 plugs? If you wire them "straight thru" (green wire to green, red to red, etc it will not work) turn the other rj-11 over and wire it backwards. I had the same problem until I did this. Also, see if the remote works with the 10' wire that came withe the V!.

Old 12-17-2003 | 10:30 AM

Thanks for the tip mstil35. I'll actually be hardwiring my V1 later this afternoon...hopefully everything will go smoothly.

2003.5 G35 Coupe 6MT Black/Willow
- Texas Tech Mechanical Engineering -

Old 12-17-2003 | 11:19 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Staff Alumni

CHeck the fuse. I blew two of my fuses before I realized I crimped the telephone wires wrong.

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 12-17-2003 | 11:45 AM

BTW, anyone have pics of where they mounted the V1 unit itself in the coupe? I'd love to do the install they show at www.g-owners.com, but unfortunately there's not enough room to mount the V1 above the rear-view mirror in the coupe. Right now, I think I'm just gonna stick it to the right of the mirror so that the front of the V1 is just below the tint strip at the top of the windshield.

Old 12-17-2003 | 12:22 PM
|

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I made sure I reversed the RJ-11s when I crimped them. I even ran everything back through to make sure it wasn't the aftermarket RJ-11 wire. I even used tweezers to pull up all the brass wires inside the RJ-11 connectors to ensure a solid connection. After all the troubleshooting, it came down to the hardwire adapter. It should be waiting on me when I get home, so hopefully I will get it installed tonight.

I did place the V1 above the right side of the mirror, but they must have moved the mirrors up some in the '04 sedan, because I had to move it over a little farther than I wanted. It still stays just under the tint strip (still hard to see unless you are looking for it), and I have just enough room to lower the passenger visor.

Old 12-17-2003 | 01:17 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

Go to the rides section and check my pics. It fits nicely above and to the right of the mirror. You cannot see from the outside. I just moved my remote this weekend to inside the cluster. It's not flush mounted, I tried but there is all kinds of circuit boards behind the gauges. I ended up bolting it to the roof of the cluster housing behind the clear lens between the speedo and tach. It's now as close to my line of sight as possible and also cannot be seen from outside the vehicle.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, Nav, Aero, Nismo CAI, V1, PS2, AVelectronic Tuner, Headrest Monitors, Splash Guards..
Jax, FL

Old 12-17-2003 | 02:17 PM

Doesn't not being able to mute it drive you insane? That is the one thing I dislike about the V1 - the fact that it has no auto-mute function. When it starts going off, it drives me crazy until I can mute it. The worst is when you're in a parking lot with a lot of X- and K-band false alarms.

Old 12-17-2003 | 03:37 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

To mute you just have to press the button once and you can even set the mute volume, most other brands you cannot.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, Nav, Aero, Nismo CAI, V1, PS2, AVelectronic Tuner, Headrest Monitors, Splash Guards..
Jax, FL

Old 12-17-2003 | 04:14 PM
G Kreuzer

You can always shut off X-band COMPLETELY. Cops haven't been using X-band radar for ages now. Same goes to K-band in most of California. They're almost always on Ka bands exclusively. I did run into one lone K-band bogie on the way back from Lake Tahoe this past weekend however

There are many built-in hidden tweaks you can do to your V1 ... bet some of ya didn't know that

THX723

Old 12-17-2003 | 05:11 PM

TrentaCinque - I was referring to when you said you mounted your concealed display behind the clear plastic on the front of the gauges. Maybe I misread your post though, but if you mounted behind the plastic, how can you mute it?

Old 12-17-2003 | 05:56 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

I understood what you were saying. Even if you have the remote hooked up you can still press the button on the detector to mute, change modes, etc. It's actually better because now I don't have to reach through my steering whell to do it.

Russ

Jax, FL

Old 12-17-2003 | 06:07 PM

I have been meaning to disable the x band on mine, but don't know how! any instructions?

Peace
-Eric

'03.5 Silver/Black | Prem | Perf | Aero | Stillen Hi-Flow | Z -Tube | Grounding Kit | Nismo Oil/Radiator Caps | Solid Allum Pedals | Diamond Matts | Tints | Valentine1 | Hide-Away License Plate!

Old 12-17-2003 | 06:22 PM
G Kreuzer

Eric,
Here are the instructions to reprogram your V1. Be certain you have the proper firmware version. If not, it's time to sent it in to be upgraded.

Hope that helps,

THX723

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V1 Installation issues