Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Another Nav-Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Nav-Tuner Question

First off I'd like to say that I really love this forum. It has been a tremendous resource for me. Anyways...

I am very interested in purchasing the AVelectronics Nav- Tuner. Before my purchase however, I need to know what other pieces of equipment I wound need to buy in order to integrate the system into my car. Specifically, I am curious as to what parts I will need (if any). Do I need any other little items for the FM-Modulation, or the TV antennas? Or any other parts? Any Part Numbers and where I could find them would be very much appreciated.

I intend to hook up the Tuner to my PS2 in order to play games and watch DVDs. Therefore, the only parts in need is for the installation itself.

Thx Twight

I know that this subject has been discussed in length on this forum but I can't seem to find the necessary information searching. Again I really appreciated all your guys help in advance.

Old 12-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Re: Another Nav-Tuner Question

Hello,

I just received my AVElectronics unit last Friday and I love it! However, I will let you know that it wasn't as easy as I originally thought.

First find and read a DIY on removing the dash. Pain in the $ss in my opinion cause I was scared to death that I would break something or scratch the console. I didn't, just follow the directions on removal exactly.

Furthermore I ran power to a relay and hooked it up to a switch which controls the power to both the inverter (power for aux inputs & PS2 etc) and the tuner unit. Then I changed the push button switch that comes with the tuner to one which matched the first one I installed (this switches between the nav and tuner).

As far as the one wire to cut is concerned it was like performing surgery on my baby. The plugin adapter was easy but the bundle of wires that the pink wire is in had no play, and had never been ran near where the adapter plugs in. I had to strip the outer plastic of the tuner's bundle to allow the white wires to reach the pink wire, which I had to cut about an inch from the back of the dvd rom (this connection I soldered just to make sure it was good).

I then ran the power to the trunk for the inverter (400 amps) and two sets of a/v cables. All of these are completely hidden under the panel where the satellite unit goes. Finally I ran one of the two antennas that comes with the unit to the front windshield and I bought the amplified one for the back. My reception is awesome for 4,5,7,11,13,16,22 when I'm stopped, however while driving it looks choppy but the sound stays pretty consistent. I have tried the signal with and without the amplified and it makes a huge difference for me. And yes someone will want to flame me I grounded the hand brake so it works while driving.

The tuner itself has an internal FM modulator. It somes with a IR sensor which I installed in the AC/Compass area. A remote (without this you can't turn the unit on) my battery was dead when I got mine and I freaked cause I thought I had fried either the tuner or cut the wrong wire, simple fix just think to check it. It also includes two basic antennas.

<b/>What you will need to buy:[/b]

Nissan antenna adapters x 2 (1 male & 1 female) from Best Buy or somewhere similar. ($15-20)

10 AWG wire to run to relay and then to inverter, also Best Buy. (Best to get a fused one and put a 40amp fuse in it)

Relay & switches from Radio Shack (if you hookup the 10 AWG to as small a switch as I did it would melt it). ($10)

400 amp inverter from Schucks or Costco ($29)

12' RCA video/audio cables x 2 to run from the tuner unit (I put mine behind the passenger kickplate) to the trunk.(I used two so that I could put two aux units in the trunk and have them both hooked up at the same time without having to get back there and plug something else in). Price depends on how good of cables you want, I recommend the cheapest cause your not gonna see the benefit on the stock LCD anyway.

A female RCA x 2 adapter from Radio Shack ($5) so that you can plug your playstation/aux RCA cables to the ones you ran from the tuner.

Some miscellaneous wire to hookup switches and relay (If you get a kit from Best Buy it should include the fused power cable, a black ground for the inverter, and miscellaneous wires $20-$30)

I opted to buy the amplified antenna from AVElectronics and feel it makes a big difference.

Wireless controller for Playstation2 ($29) I choose to use the PS2 since it can play DVD's and I would have to get a seperate DVD player. I have an XBOX as well and don't think it would work for this purpose since I think it requires an actual remote and IR sensor to play DVDs where the PS2 will use a standard controller (i.e. wireless for this purpose works great).

I also purchased a seperate power cable for my PS2 so that I would not have to dismantle my home theatre and remove the power cable (I already had the stock a/v cable laying around since I use component output.) ($10)

I can attach pictures when i get home of the switches/inverter/ps2 everything else is hidden from view or has been shown before.

And I'm spent....

Old 12-19-2003, 06:16 PM

Great Post!
Answered alot of my questions.
Really appreciate it

Twight

Old 12-19-2003, 08:21 PM
Yet Another question

Another quick question, does the unit come with enough docuementation to complete the install?
i.e. Where and which wires to cut/attach.

I'm just worried that my shop and I won't be able to figure out what we're doing.

(Never done anything like this before)
Twight

Old 12-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Re: Yet Another question

I don't think you should have a problem. The unit comes with two sets of directions one for the installation and another supplement for G35's. I had never done anything like this either and was slightly intimidated when I opened the package and saw so much stuff. Just jump right in and if you have trouble put a post up someone will answer it (everything has happened to someone at sometime) or just stop and take a moment.

Here are some pics:

[image] http://www.greyghostracing.com/skyline/PorscheGT3.jpg[/image]

Old 12-22-2003, 04:38 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you having any problems with your remote eye reception because of your nav screen? I originally put mine there but changed it after about 5 minutes because I had to shoot over the screen every time. Now mine is mounted by my rear view mirror so I can just point it up and my arm doesn't leave the armrest.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, Nav, Aero, Nismo CAI, V1, PS2, AVelectronic Tuner, Headrest Monitors, Splash Guards..
Jax, FL

Old 12-22-2003, 04:54 PM

Yes I have a lot of trouble with the remote mounted there. But it is the most hidden place I could think of and I want it to still look stock. I think if I mounted it somewhere else I would mount in lower not higher, then I would have to angle my hand or arm.

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2003, 05:54 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

I also wanted a stock look. I crammed a lot of components and wiring in my car without it affecting the look of the interior. If you mount it by your rear view mirror you won't see it. Also if you put your forearm on the armrest in a relaxed position with the remote in your hand it will naturally point up toward the rear view mirror. If you mount it lower you will have to "point" it at your eye every time. I looked around a lot before deciding to mount it up there but it's perfect, for me and any passengers that have used it.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, Nav, Aero, Nismo CAI, V1, PS2, AVelectronic Tuner, Headrest Monitors, Splash Guards..
Jax, FL

Old 12-22-2003, 06:53 PM

Can you post a pic?

Old 12-23-2003, 12:02 AM
Deep Sea Moderator

I just cut out a piece of that plastic velcro-like stuff that locks together. Stuck one piece on the eye and the other on the arm that holds the mirror. The a-pillar covers come off just by pulling them and you can tuck the wire under the headliner without removing it, just pull down and tuck a couple of inches at a time.

Russ

Jax, FL

Old 12-24-2003, 01:06 AM

Really stupid question, what the web address for AVElectronics? I've done a search through google but all I get is a site about remote power deadbolts. Sorry and thanks in advance.

Old 12-24-2003, 01:41 AM

Thanks! I kept going to avelectronics.com. I can finally order the tuner, well, after the beginning of the year when they're back anyway.

Old 12-24-2003, 01:42 AM

Here

Old 12-25-2003, 08:35 AM

Thanks for posting all this info guys...I've been looking to do this mod but didnt know where to get the eqmt from and what is involved...Answered many questions. Thanx again

Old 07-18-2005, 07:28 PM
umm

my screen just went from color to black and white? anyone know why.