Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone run new wires through the doors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone run new wires through the doors?

i'm trying to find out the best way to run new sets of speaker wires through the doors, back into the cabin of the car.

the factory wiring "bundles" or whatever they are called, are completely "filled"... the style of the black rubber piece encloses a bunch of wires, which attach to a plug... essentially what i mean is, the end of the plug that goes towards the cabin of the car cannot be used to run new wires (i think)... because unlike some cars where the rubber unsulators have room inside to run new wires, the g35 appears to be a better design, and has a real harness that plus from the door right into a plug between the door and frame. (better, but making custom work a pain)

so therefore, does anyone know how new wires can be run without drilling a new hole?

*** 2003 G35s 5a/t / Pearl White ***

~ Black Racing / Dunlop / Tein / Hotchkis / Blitz / Hks / Greddy / A'pexi / Sparco / Nismo / Alpine / Mb Quart / Sony ~

Old 01-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Re: has anyone run new wires through the doors?

I'm not sure exactly which connector you are looking at, but on mine the SMJ connector between each front door and the under dash has several extra spaces in it. I found this out when I added the wiring harness for signal mirrors, which uses some of the open spaces. If you look at http://home1.gte.net/res0bsc9/g35/signalmirrors.html you can see a picture of the connector and how the extra wires are added.

Mark
2003 G35s TB/Willow/Signal Mirrors/Tint/Ground
1997 Maxima

Old 01-11-2004, 09:35 PM

nice! so basically, you mean i can splice into the extra spaces and use those correct? i need to run two sets of wires through the front doors to reach my crossovers. they're a little too big to mount in the door.

*** 2003 G35s 5a/t / Pearl White ***

~ Black Racing / Dunlop / Tein / Hotchkis / Blitz / Hks / Greddy / A'pexi / Sparco / Nismo / Alpine / Mb Quart / Sony ~

Old 03-14-2004, 09:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

where did you get the extra pins for the connector from?

Old 03-14-2004, 01:07 PM

AznIceRckt
were you able to get the speaker wires connected? I was wondering because Im in the same situation that you were in.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:16 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i need to run two sets of wires through the front doors to reach my crossovers. they're a little too big to mount in the door.

<hr></blockquote>
What kind of crossovers are you using? My MB Quart crossovers were pretty large, so I ended up mounting them to the back of the door panel, instead of in the door or on the door. There is a very large space on the lower part of the door behind the map pocket. I took some picture of this which are in the MB Quart install thread.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 03-15-2004, 11:45 PM

Hey RacerX,
I saw your install of your MB Quarts and was wondering if you used the factory speaker wire when connecting to your amp? Also by any chance do you know what size the speaker wire is? Thanks.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:29 PM

I used all the stock speaker wiring to the crossover; Rockford Fosgate speaker wire from the crossovers to the drivers. I have not yet installed my amps, (waiting for it to get a little warmer to work in my barely heated garage). The stock speaker wire appears to be only about 20 gauge, but it does at least appear to be pretty good quality wire; lots of fine copper strands.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!