Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Cigrarette lighter wiring, inverter Q's for my PS2 install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good choice. Standard relays are 30amp. If you're using a switch there's no reason for a relay. If you want to wire it off of the battery and use the relay then you won't need the switch. The relay is just an automatic switch.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are my two requirements:

1. Prevent my dumb@$$ from forgetting to power off the inverter (since it'll be directly wired to the battery). I believe I need the relay here so power only gets on the inverter circuit when my vehicle is running.

2. Only have the inverter actually running when I want to play PS2. So I need the second switch to manually complete the circuit when I want to play video games.

My understanding was that I needed both trelay and switch to accomplish each task above.

So you guys think the 200w/25 amp inverter isa better choice then? I imagine I should still pull right off my battery or an empty terminal in my fuse box since the cig lighter circuite is only rated at 20 amps.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Meatshackle
Good choice. Standard relays are 30amp. If you're using a switch there's no reason for a relay. If you want to wire it off of the battery and use the relay then you won't need the switch. The relay is just an automatic switch.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I completely agree.

Originally Posted by shdowflare
Here are my two requirements:

1. Prevent my dumb@$$ from forgetting to power off the inverter (since it'll be directly wired to the battery). I believe I need the relay here so power only gets on the inverter circuit when my vehicle is running.

2. Only have the inverter actually running when I want to play PS2. So I need the second switch to manually complete the circuit when I want to play video games.

My understanding was that I needed both trelay and switch to accomplish each task above.

So you guys think the 200w/25 amp inverter isa better choice then? I imagine I should still pull right off my battery or an empty terminal in my fuse box since the cig lighter circuite is only rated at 20 amps.

Thanks.
You will need a switch and a relay if you want to make sure it turns off with the car and is only on when the car is running and you want to use it. I would run it straight to the battery and put a fuse close to the battery.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Sounds like I have my plan now. Thanks guys for all the help getting me to this point. Truly appreciate it.

-B

Old 07-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Final design

Here's the final design as I see it. Take a look and let me know if everything looks good or if you have any suggestions:

Old 07-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^ The diagram looks good to me. Nice job.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:05 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Looks good. I good place for the relay is behing the passenger kick panel. There's tons of empy space there. There's also plenty of room behind the passenger 12volt outlet panel.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Where's the passenger 12v outlet panel?

Looks good. I good place for the relay is behing the passenger kick panel. There's tons of empy space there. There's also plenty of room behind the passenger 12volt outlet panel.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i havent read through, or know 100% wqhats going on, but figured id show you where i placed my switch's to give you an idea if you needed, may be too late:

i have 2 there now, right under that one is the 2nd

and for my bass (i dont really like that big blue thing i might get a different one soon)

Old 07-15-2007, 10:32 AM
I like where you placed your switch in the first picture below. I'll probabaly do the same. Where'd you ground your lighted switch on the bottom pic?

-B

Originally Posted by Otacon132
i havent read through, or know 100% wqhats going on, but figured id show you where i placed my switch's to give you an idea if you needed, may be too late:

i have 2 there now, right under that one is the 2nd

and for my bass (i dont really like that big blue thing i might get a different one soon)

Old 07-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some random bolt/screw i found up near the clutch area i think

Old 07-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
There's a lot of screws in the console that are good grounds. I checked almost every metal screw in the center console with a multimeter.

Last edited by Meatshackle; 07-16-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:11 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
yup I did the same when I was doing my nav mod.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Good information...I was going to ground my switch and relay to the cig lighter ground wires just to be safe. But it sounds like there are much closer grounding points to where those devices will actually be mounted. The only reason I was going to do this is because I tried grounding my PAC SWI-ECL to a bolt under the steering column and it was causing the device to malfunction. Guess I should get a multimeter and test whatever I plan to use as a ground (just to be sure).

-B

There's a lot of screws in the console that are good grounds. I checked almost every metal screw in the center console are with a multimeter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cigrarette lighter wiring, inverter Q's for my PS2 install