Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

How do I tune my amp? (audiobahn)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
How do I tune my amp? (audiobahn)

Hey guys, I hope you can help me understand how to tune my aftermarket amp.
Here is what I have: Audiobahn 6 channel A6601T amp (75x6 rms)
Infinity kappa perfect 6.1 components up front
Infinity kappa 2 ways in the rear panel.
Rockford 3sixty EQ.

So I got the amp put in and all, and turned the gain control down so I dont blow it (again, yes the first try was not succesful...i blew it up) i just dont know how to tune the mHz part, or if i should put the x-over to full high, or low.

The mHz dial goes from 50-500 I think... I just chose the middle but when I turn the speakers up to max it gets real distorted... I'm not sure if thats supposed to happen when they are full power or if i need to tune it better somehow.

On the Rockford 3sixty, my EQ bar starts out flat and slowly goes up and drops down at the high end, which makes some songs sound great, but others sound...crappy.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you want the the bass set to 120 and below the comps to be around 180 or so...high pass on the gains

Old 07-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I dont have my sub yet, so im just doing the 4 speakers. So put the freq aroun 180 and switch from full cross over to high? I will go give that a try now. Thank you

Old 07-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, amplifier tuning 101:
You want to set your filters to HP (high pass) because this will enact the high pass function which does what it sounds like, allows high frequencies to pass through, while blocking low frequencies. Now the trick is to set the crossover at the lowest possible setting (probably 40Hz-80Hz) that you don't hear any distortion. Start playing music with a lot base, and the **** up around 120Hz or thereabouts, and with the volume at the maximum level you will listen to your system, SLOWLY turn the **** down until you hear the speakers distort, at that point immediately turn the **** back until you hear no distortion. You just set your crossover point. At this point you may be unhappy with your bass response, and should probably look into getting a subwoofer.

The other big setting on your amp is the gain setting(s). You want this to be set as low as possible to reduce system noise and strain on your amp. First off start with the gain ALL THE WAY DOWN. Now with music playing, turn your radio volume up to its max volume, or until the system gets to the max volume you will want to listen to. If you maxed out the volume, set the volume to 3/4 of the max number, or -0db depending on how your HU measures volume. Now turn the gain up on the amp until the system plays as loud as you will listen. If you have more than one gain ****, repeat. You just set your gains! Keep in mind that if you have seperate gains you may want to reduce the gain on the rear channel so that it becomes more of a rear fill rather than a second set of stereo speakers. Its all really a matter of how you want your system set up.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by digitalhifinet; 07-31-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wezbian
I dont have my sub yet, so im just doing the 4 speakers. So put the freq aroun 180 and switch from full cross over to high? I will go give that a try now. Thank you
Hey Wes, what sub are you getting? I have brand new 10w6 sitting in my closet, you can have it cheap.