Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Problems replacing Bose speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased MB Quart speakers for front and back doors.
I purchashed an XTant Amplifier for the speakers.

After adding the Amplifier the speakers sound fantastic much better than stock, but the bass can't be heard. Even at +5, you can barely hear any bass.

So now it looks like I need to also replace the Subwoofer Amp.

They want to purchase another XTANT amp (2ohm) to power the subwoofer.
They say this should be a perfect fit.
They list the amp at $275 in their shop, but will offer it to me for about $100 because of all the troubles I'v had.

They also warn me the the sub could get blown with the new amplifier so its a risk.

For crying out loud. I just went in to the shop looking to replace my speakers and now I have to purchase two additionals amps and now possibly a sub.
The shop seems reputable and the guy showed me photos of many different custom jobs they have done.

Anyways, I hope I'm not getting shafted.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The stock Bose sub is an 8 inch or so free air sub. Just bet a sub and out it in a proper enclosure in the trunk and power it with a sub amp or a 5 channel amp.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jtsimikas
I purchased MB Quart speakers for front and back doors.
I purchashed an XTant Amplifier for the speakers.

Anyways, I hope I'm not getting shafted.
You are getting shafted.Good shop would test the speaker install and would not release crappy sounding car.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:15 PM
JTO
Is the crossover on the amp on? Also if the amp gain is turned up then the fronts may be overpowering the sub now. If you are not comfortable you can always walk away. You dont have to have them put in another amp and sub. Maybe also get a opinion from another shop?

Old 08-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by JTO
Is the crossover on the amp on? Also if the amp gain is turned up then the fronts may be overpowering the sub now. If you are not comfortable you can always walk away. You dont have to have them put in another amp and sub. Maybe also get a opinion from another shop?
I'm not really sure about crossover, not really technical as far as that is concerned.

I'll try a 2nd opinion. This shop is supposed to be the largest stereo installer in Tampa, so I thought they would have the best techs.

They said they spent quite a bit time tuning the system, but still can't hear much (if any) bass.

I also discovered there is a hissing/static sound coming from the tweeters.. its actually very noticeable when the volume is turned down. And what's worse is that even if I power off the radio, it still makes the hissing/static sound.. SO evidently they really screwed up.

They also won't uninstall what they put in and provide a refund.. so not sure what I can do, maybe send a scare letter from lawyer.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:32 PM
JTO
If the radio is off the amp should be off so unless the wires themselves were picking it up, you should not have noise with things off. You may also be used to overamped bass so now that its flatter it sounds thin.... The only other thing i can think of is that the mains and the subwoofer are out of phase. Basically the pos and neg of both sets of speakers would have to be reversed and see if that makes a difference. The stock sub does not go all that low so it could easily be covered by the front speakers. Maybe just pick up the car and take it to someone else to see what they say? Just pay them for the work they have done and cut your losses?