Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Class action lawsuit - Ridiculous Cd Changer Failure...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can anyone honestly say that they did so little investigation into the reliability and more common problems with Infiniti/Nissan and were totally unaware prior to making their purchase?

Old 08-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Socale39
I didn't know that stereos in an Infiniti only lasted 32k miles and sometimes less.....

Usually when I purchase a vehicle I figure even after a 30k mi warranty, my cd changer should still work. But hey thats just me and then again thats probably why I have decided to own BMWs or any other maufacturer at that....lol.
Try a search for CD errors with Lexus or Toyota...same story or even worse. I have had to shimmy out CD's from my wifes Lexus's in-dash CD changer three or four times. It is out of warranty now and will be hundreds of dollars to fix if someday I am not able to get out the stuck CD.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Extended warranty or not, I personally find it quite helpful to establish a very good rapport with the service manager for the times you need out of warranty issues addressed. It's worked for me for many years. Always remember to keep you hands deep in your pockets when seeing the service manager. It could very well help in the pinch.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I have not read the whole thread but if the car has 35k then the dealer should replace the whole unit, under the 4-year 60k mile warranty.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I didn't know that stereos in an Infiniti only lasted 32k miles and sometimes less.....

Usually when I purchase a vehicle I figure even after a 30k mi warranty, my cd changer should still work. But hey thats just me and then again thats probably why I have decided to own BMWs or any other maufacturer at that....lol.
Why would you think the CD changer should last 4 years (the warranty period) or 32K miles? Hell, manufactuers of car audio that costs $2K to $3K only will give you 1 or 2 years of warranty (some will give three, but that is quite rare and those units will cost over $3K easily). I understand your fustrations (although I never had one failed CD in my car after 2 years of owning it and I have put in every type of CD i.e. MP3, burned WAV, new, old, scratched, etc.) but this is a stereo afterall.

Now, tires wearing out fast, I've heard this on other sport cars (and sports coupe) too so I knew what to expect. Again, I'm at 21K and my tires are still decent enough for another 6K I suspect. Lastly, the oil burning issue, that is a whole different problem. I don't have any oil burning issue *knocks on wood* and I've checked my oil every month (I should do it weekly now that I'm thinking about it).

OK, so I do know how it feels to not have something fixed even after numerous tries. I had my seat fix for that annoying "creaking" noise but even after 3 attempts and them even replacing the entire seat (yes, the entire front driver seat), it is still there. I just put that noise to one of the annoying things about this car but it is by no means a class action lawsuit since they tried to fix it but can't. Now, it is a good thing to keep in mind in case something else fails on the car and now I can hold this against them (Lemon Law) but until then, the car has been a pleasure to drive and I'll live with the annoying creaks.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:05 PM
J-Dizzle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My CD changer has never failed, works perfectly fine for me.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
Why would you think the CD changer should last 4 years (the warranty period) or 32K miles? Hell, manufactuers of car audio that costs $2K to $3K only will give you 1 or 2 years of warranty (some will give three, but that is quite rare and those units will cost over $3K easily). I understand your fustrations (although I never had one failed CD in my car after 2 years of owning it and I have put in every type of CD i.e. MP3, burned WAV, new, old, scratched, etc.) but this is a stereo afterall.

Now, tires wearing out fast, I've heard this on other sport cars (and sports coupe) too so I knew what to expect. Again, I'm at 21K and my tires are still decent enough for another 6K I suspect. Lastly, the oil burning issue, that is a whole different problem. I don't have any oil burning issue *knocks on wood* and I've checked my oil every month (I should do it weekly now that I'm thinking about it).

OK, so I do know how it feels to not have something fixed even after numerous tries. I had my seat fix for that annoying "creaking" noise but even after 3 attempts and them even replacing the entire seat (yes, the entire front driver seat), it is still there. I just put that noise to one of the annoying things about this car but it is by no means a class action lawsuit since they tried to fix it but can't. Now, it is a good thing to keep in mind in case something else fails on the car and now I can hold this against them (Lemon Law) but until then, the car has been a pleasure to drive and I'll live with the annoying creaks.
I guess this is where the two of us differ. I don't settle for anything. If I pay for something, it better work right!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:38 PM
I guess this is where the two of us differ. I don't settle for anything. If I pay for something, it better work right!
Yeah you pay for a car that has 4 years of warranty on it and that's all you get, not more.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 PM
I'll sign that petition as well. I bet a Kia's CD changer will last longer then ours,lol.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:09 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
My frustration is that buying a $35-$40k vehicle and to only have essential features of that vehicle go bad right after the warranty mark seems like a low quality product.
Maybe we should define essential features...

Mine: a car which provides reliable transportation from A to B.
Would the oil consumption issue be essential? Of course...an in dash cd change? nice try.

Someone else already posted a similar comment about manufacturers warranties on aftermaket HUs but I'd like to elaborate. When I was in HS i worked for a major electronics retailer and at one point I also worked in CS...care to take a guess what our number one warranty issue was? Car audio

Last edited by kernel; 08-28-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by EuG35
If you're that dissatisfied why don't you sell your G and get a new car or go back to your integra? If you still own that car and go to a forum about that car I don't think you should be bitching about it and talk about how much better an integra is. As for the tires, you can always get different tires after your first pairs.
????

hes just making a comparison

so calm down

my cd changer stopped working at approx. 15k miles.

fortunately, it was under warranty, and the dealer fixed it with no charge.

i agree nissan/infiniti's services r sh1tty, they even charge their clients for oil/filter change. my car is at 32k now, if i dont tell them to just do the oil/filter change, then they will do a 25k/32k miles services, which r around 300 bux, they do nothing really. My range rover and MB ml get free services as long as the cars r under warranty.

Last edited by wuyichao; 08-28-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's call Larry Parker !

Old 08-29-2007, 03:49 AM
^^^

I know some of you guys are telling me to get over it and move on but I'm trying to tell you guys this isn't for personal benefit. Manufacturers need to know how the public feels about their product, cause we all know the dealerships could care less for the most part. So by voicing out maybe Infiniti will think twice about their choice in standard audio equipment and will hopefully produce better products int he future. To be honest I love my g/f's G35 Coupe besides the awkward ergonomics and small issues as discussed, but then again like most vehicles, there's always going to be something we wish was different.

So it seems like we have a few amount of people interested in signing the petition. Anyone care to elaborate how we should proceed? I was thinking of creating a letter to send to corporate and then having you guys include your information with it. What do you guys think?

Old 08-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think it sucks but honestly $165 to fix it makes it not worth my time to do much else. Life is short, do something fun.

And the tires wear out because they are performance tires and the car is easy and fun to drive aggressively. 12k miles from a high performance tire is not out of the ordinary.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM
This CD problem - if you just use the cd player (loading just the one cd) is this affected and known to be problematic as well, or is it the changer. Not sure how it works, I'm assuming the changer is different from the player.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Class action lawsuit - Ridiculous Cd Changer Failure...