Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Non-Bose HU amp install help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-Bose HU amp install help

Just trying to figure out a few things before taking the final step.. So far, I have a sub and box that fits in my car, new front components and a cheap amp that I had left over from my previous car. Now what I need is some way to get the signal from my stock NON-BOSE HU, to the amp. From what I've read here, I need an LOC that will convert the differential balanced signals to standard single-ended inputs. I was discussing this with my friend, and he recomended the MTX RE-Q, because he said it fixes the problem of the stock HU turning down your bass at higher volumes. However, I'm unsure if it will convert differential balanced to single-ended. I could go with an LOC that I know does this, but will this other LOC prevent the bass from being choked by the stock HU? I just don't know... The only thing I know that will do what I want, is the JL Cleansweep, but my system is very low-end, and basic, and I don't want to go with such an expensive solution, because it's overkill for my needs. Any ideas, pointers? Really confused here.

Reposted from the sticky, since nobody reads it.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:57 AM
BUMP. Anyone?

Old 11-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
bump. I would like to hear the answer as well. U and I are in teh same boat bro

Old 11-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Two LOC's tapping the audio signal behind the HU should work fine. Send the signal to the amp and run it back into the system behind the HU where you cut the wires.

I don't know that the non-Bose HU "chokes" the bass.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:43 PM
I think I'm misunderstanding here.. Why would I need two LOC's? Just to provide enough outputs for the speakers and sub? And what do you mean by run it back into the system? Wouldn't it be going HU => LOC => AMP => Speakers, sub, etc?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Unless you get a 4 channel LOC or just want to run two channels, you will need 2 LOC's.

To me it will be easier to run the amp output back into the OEM harness (that's what I meant by system - poor choice of words) which will take the signal to the speakers. You can run new wire, but it's a PITA.

You haven't stated what you plan to run and how - ie 4 channels amped and a sub, only 4 channels amped with no sub, front 2 channels amped with a sub connected to the rear speaker fader. How you plan to run it will determine what you need to do.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Hmm, well to start off, I will be running a single 4ch amp, using 2 for the fronts, and bridging another 2 for a sub. I plan to get a monoblock for the sub later on though, and add 2 rear speakers. As for running the amp back into the OEM harness, that kinda makes sense now that you mention it, but I'll only do it for the fronts. The amp will be in the trunk anyway, so it'll be easier to run wiring to the rears directly.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 PM
the RE-Q is good for adding subs but I'm yet to actually install one for the fronts that I've been pleased with. (I'm a car audio installer). I'd say skip the RE-Q and either go high end with the JL Cleansweep or just shell out the cash for a deck/mounting kit/wiring harness. If you go with a deck you don't have to worry about hiding the MASSIVE unit, you have less wires to run, and you'll have a cleaner signal. I'm not knocking the RE-Q I just find it very touchy and difficult to tune. the cleansweep basically tunes itself.

but here's the re-q/cleansweep thing TONS OF WIRES - you're going to have to tap into the speaker wires (behind the deck is probably the best spot because it's the centralized location) - so already you're running 2 pair of speaker wires then you need the power, accessory, ground. then out of the RE-Q unit you're looking at 1-2 sets of RCAs. as well as the accessory (remote) power to the amp to tell it when to turn on.

but that's just my personal view

Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 PM
I would've gone with the Cleansweep if I was actually going to go high end with the rest of my system. The thing though is, I just got a set of Kicker components, and some low end-ish sub. I don't demand perfection out of my music, my last car had a factory system that was good enough for me (except for maybe needing a bit more bass). The only reason I'm upgrading, is I find the base system in the G to be really really bad. I like to listen to my music fairly loud, and I can't do that without a ridiculous amount of distortion and rattles in my car. Also, if I'm ever cruising on the highway with the windows down, I can't overpower the wind noise with the music.