Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Double Din HU Owners Worry About Security/Protection for Their Head Units?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
Do Double Din HU Owners Worry About Security/Protection for Their Head Units?

Hi Guys -

I've got a 2006 G35 sedan, and the premium Bose HU is killing me. Recently, I sprung for a DD kit from Riverside Infiniti (thanks again, Jason!), a Clarion Max675VDII 7 inch touchscreen (mainly for the ipod integration) HU, and a SWI-JACK from PAC for the steering wheel controls.

The one thing that is keeping me from an installation this weekend was this - how do fellow Double Din HU owners out there secure/protect your screen from would-be thieves? I'd imagine some HU's have detachable faces - unfortunately the Clarion does not.

I recall from my formative years in high school reading Car Stereo Review where a company built a sort of metal container that you installed between your HU and the car to have a sort of 'security box' around the HU. Installed, it would look like the face to the HU was removed from the dash. I vaguely remember the name 'Blitz Box' or 'Blizz Box'. Google/Ebay brought up nothing.

I don't live in a terrible neighborhood (work in Beverly Hills, live in Sherman Oaks) and I do have garaged parking in both places. But you guys know in LA - if it's sitting there and the wrong person sees it, even if it's secured down by alarms and whatnot it won't stop someone from trying. I learned the hard way with my old Lexus, an ipod in the glove compartment, and a detached alpine face sitting underneath a seat last year. I remember seeing on G35driver.com the past few months someone posted up shots of their dash being ripped out along with their DD HU, and I don't want to wind up like that.

Any advice would be appreciated. I was going to go and talk to the guys at Al & Ed's this weekend, and I just love the look of the Clarion too much to get some other HU that has a detachable face. I know nothing is 100% theft-proof, but I'd like to get some odds back on my side.

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What you're thinking of is the Blau Box. I remember reading that particular article

But the way i look at it is like this: Unless you're going to cut the face off your factory radio, recess the clarion, and use the factory face as a disguise, a thief will know something's up and you probably have something valuable in there.

Best bet is to make it so it looks secure, but is really not that difficult to get out, and have good insurance. I'd rather someone take the mass produced radio out of my car, and be reimbursed for that, than someone taking a screw driver/crowbar to my dash to get the HU out.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats why you have insurance, if you can't afford to play then sit out

Old 11-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by g35rcr
thats why you have insurance, if you can't afford to play then sit out

Yeah, I've got enough insurance for anything that could happen to my Gee. That's not the issue - it's more of the hassle afterwards if the theft occurs.

Gotta look up that Blau Box, Glycerine - I can't believe I don't remember a full year's worth of trigonometry, but I can remember a little blurb about this product.

Guess I'm going to have to roll the dice with this for now.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same unit in my car as well, it's awesome but I've not known any other aftermarket headunits...I don't think you should worry too much the Clarion name is a theft deterrant in itself. : P j/k