Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

installing JUST an amp and sub

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing JUST an amp and sub

I have the stock headunit right now, so theres no RCA outs for the amp. I was thinking about installing a Low Impedence module that could connect to the back speaker wires before they get to the stock amp, and from there running it to the amp, then to the subwoofer...Would this work? or does someone need to do this to me

Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
what options are there for us that do not have the bose system? All i want is to add a 8" sub and a small amp in the rear deck and use the trunk as the box. I don't want a lot of bass...just better than the stock system.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 PM
just buy a low high converter from best buy or wherever and install that along with the amp and sub. I just did this over the weekend. Took me about 2 1/2 hours to do EVERYTHING. Not very tuff...you should be able to knock it out

Old 11-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by miltoda
what options are there for us that do not have the bose system? All i want is to add a 8" sub and a small amp in the rear deck and use the trunk as the box. I don't want a lot of bass...just better than the stock system.
You won't be happy with the results of mounting the sub free air style. Do yourself a favor and save a lot of hassle too, and install it in a small enclosure in the trunk. Someone else mounted a new sub in the stock sub location and didn't like the results of the bass.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by mastee
check this DYI
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101293

I am upgrading my system, and so far has I have put in a jl 300/4 & 500/1 and 10w6v2 in a 4080 box, so far. I am very happy with the results, I am going to change the front door speakers today....then we will C, may be dynamat next and then back speakers.

thanks!!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by miltoda
get an inline converter, tap the rear speakers for signal, run that wire to a mono amp, connect the mono amp to your sub. only thing left is to run a 4 gauge power line.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by g35rcr
get an inline converter, tap the rear speakers for signal, run that wire to a mono amp, connect the mono amp to your sub. only thing left is to run a 4 gauge power line.
Is the rear speaker wire easy to get to, or am I gonna have to take apart one of the rear doors to get to it? I'm fairly new to installing car audio stuff.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
I just found the BOSE amp and figured out which colored wires corresponded to the left and right speaker, along with a remote line. Once that is all installed and hooked up, run your RCA's to your amp, run your speaker wires, power, ground, and BUMP!

Old 11-30-2007, 03:07 PM
If you have the Bose system, it already outputs a low level signal. You can tap into the + and - wires BEFORE they go into the amp, cut an RCA cable in half, and attach the beare RCA wires to those wires from the Bose harness. Then plug the RCA end of the cable into your amp.

Last edited by Gilley; 11-30-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by KevinE
I just found the BOSE amp and figured out which colored wires corresponded to the left and right speaker, along with a remote line. Once that is all installed and hooked up, run your RCA's to your amp, run your speaker wires, power, ground, and BUMP!
Yeah you guys with the bose systems have it easy. I'm tryin to mod the stock non-bose setup with a sub either in the back or in the bose sub location ( in the deck). I didn't want to spend crazy cash doing it either.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gilley
If you have the Bose system, it already outputs a low level signal. You can tap into the + and - wires BEFORE they go into the amp, cut an RCA cable in half, and attach the beare RCA wires to those wires from the Bose harness. Then plug the RCA end of the cable into your amp.
What if I want to add 2 amps...1 for components, 1 for subs. What wires would I tap into to get a signal for the 2nd amp?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley

do those wires listed in the DIY only put out low frequencies? or do they also put out high, because what you are saying is that they only put out low...I dont want to be running highs through my sub. Know what i mean?

Old 12-05-2007, 11:53 AM
The wires going into the Bose amp are full range. The Bose amp separates the low frequencies and sends them to the 6x9's.

Here are the wire colors.
Factory speaker harness wiring colors

Front Right + Gray/Silver
Front Right - Yellow/Silver

Front Left + Green/Silver
Front Left - Red/Silver

Rear Door Right + Brown/Silver
Rear Door Right - Black/Silver

Rear Door Left + Green/Yellow
Rear Door Left - Black/Yellow

Rear Deck Right + Blue/Red
Rear Deck Right - Blue/White

Rear Deck Left + Blue/Yellow
Rear Deck Left - White/Green

Head unit output colors

The (+) are all on the same side of the connector.

Head Output Front Right + Orange/Blue
Head Output Front Right - White/Blue

Head Output Front Left + White
Head Output Front Left - Orange

Head Output Rear Right + Blue
Head Output Rear Right - Pink

Head Output Rear Left + Teal
Head Output Rear Left - Purple

Remote Wire Light Blue/ Silver

Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by hurricanebsball
What if I want to add 2 amps...1 for components, 1 for subs. What wires would I tap into to get a signal for the 2nd amp?
Just completed the install of my amp and sub with non bose unit. I tapped my loc converter to the passenger rear speaker wires. Black for ground brown for power. Simple. Remove weather striping from around door. Gently pry back panel away from body and Walla speaker is easily acessable. Sounds great also no issues what so ever

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: installing JUST an amp and sub