Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

HELP Battery draining after new amp and sub install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The Bose radio has an amp turn on wire (remote turn on wire). It is the light blue/silver wire. It has a +12 volt signal when you turn on the radio and tells the Bose amp to turn on. It will also tell your sub amp to turn on.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i have the stock headunit if that makes a difference but yea im going to show al n eds what gilley told me hopefully this can be figured its kinda wack that i go to a known place to get this stuff installed so i know for sure its gonna be a good job but turns out to be faulty. thanks again and will repost to see what happens with al n eds on thrusday

Old 12-05-2007, 05:04 PM
The stock Bose head unit has an amp turn on wire. The Bose amp is in the trunk.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they sure dont know jack shiet...if they could open up an audio shop man makes me think anyone can...

Old 12-06-2007, 02:14 AM
hey Gilley it really seems like you know your stuff and i was wondering if you can clarify something you already told me... "The Bose amp has a turn on wire that can be tapped so that the Bose amp and the new amp will turn on and off with the radio. That should fix your problem. I bet they tapped into a wire that is always on, so your amp is always on." ... when u say my amp is always on do u mean my aftermarket one or the bose? also for the last 2 days i let my car sit and i had the fuse for the amp pulled out so there has to be zero connectivity for power right? and i just tried to turn on my car rite now and it barelllyyyy turned over so i know by tomorrow morning it wont start...so where does that leave me, im getting drain and its not comming from my new aftermarket amp ...could it still drain if it is connected to the bose amp or maybe the bose amp is always running but how would that happen ... any suggestions now would really help me, thank you. btw im going to pep boys tomorrow anything in particular i should ask them to check any help would be great man, thank you ill stop by al n eds too after to see what they can do.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Depending on how the shop wired things, both amps or only one could be on all the time. If you had the amp fuse pulled out and you still have a draining battery, then something else is likely occurring. Have the shop take a look at it again and maybe even return it to stock and go some place else. They could have accidentally tapped into a wire that does something other than what they thought. Electrical issues can be hard to trace.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
You really shouldn't take somebody's work and go get second opinion and start tinkering with it. It will be hard for you to then point fingers at the shop. They can easily say, "well, it's hard for us to take blame, not knowing what you or pepboys did after we finished our work!" By you trying to "fix" the problem yourself (which i applaud you for), you can potentially make things worse and cover up the shop's errors.

What you should do, is simply take it back to the shop, tell them that the car was fine before the amp, and now battery keeps dying. Tell them to either fix it, or issue refund and put the car back to stock and like somebody else said, take it somewhere else that's competent. If they do this for a living and F-ed it up, there's no reason why you should let that slide and attempt to resolve this yourself. just my two cents

Old 12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
yea thats for sure i went back today to al n eds and they could not figure out whats going on they checked the bose amp and theres no drain from there or the aftermarket amp and right now im totallly stuck ... they said they will refund me and put it back to stock and i guess when its all stock looking i can give it to infiniti dealer since i still have warranty and they can deal with what is wrong with my car and hopefully still fix it because al n eds said that when they take it out it wont look as if something was there so thats good. but yea im over this sound system what a hassle. im still curious though as to what can be the problem now since its not the radio.