Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Do I have a Bose or non-bose HU?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I have a Bose or non-bose HU?

I JUST bought a 03 sedan. It has a low number VIN (027XXX) so the stereo does not have the RADIO or SAT button, instead it is CD, FM, AM and TAPE. From what I understand it is impossible to add an aux input adapter because it is lacking the RADIO or SAT buttons but what I don't know is if this is a Bose unit or non-Bose unit.

I don't see any Bose labels or markings on it so I assume it is the non-premium unit.

I plan on adding a touchscreen CarPC in the factory nav cubby hole as I don't have factory nav but I want to retain the factory HU look I don't want to have to buy a DD conversion kit and a DD HU unless it is very well priced and has some good features.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The Bose HU has "Bose" on it.

The only aux input that you have available is a cassette tape adapter. You could also buy a used 03-04 non-Bose radio and finisher panel so you have the SAT button. Only the 05 and up radios have the "radio" button.

I'm curious why you want a car PC over a DD HU with navigation?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Do I really need a different dash finisher piece if I buy a newer stock HU to replace mine? Wouldn't it fit in the existing finisher piece?

I want to install a CarPC rather than a DD HU with nav because:

1) I already have a CarPC constructed and it runs great, I just need to buy the parts to integrate the screen into my G35 - I can either buy a DD finisher piece and custom fit it directly into the dash, foregoing any head unit or buy the pop-up screen mount and use the AUX input of a different HU.

2) Features - The nav system in my CarPC (iGuidance) is amazing, I have a 60GB hard drive with options to expand it to store my music and videos, Bluetooth hands free is only a software installation away, no hardware to buy, I can play DVD's, I can use an Xbox 360 wireless controller and play emulated video games, Wifi access, wireless internet access when I thether my phone to it as a modem

3) Cost - If I were to get a DD HU with nav I would be spending at least $1000 for the HU plus I would have to buy the DD finisher piece and DD HU adapter kit.

Going the CarPC route, the cheapest it would cost would be integrating the LCD into the dash and removing the HU as I already have the PC and 7" touchscreen. I would only have to buy the DD finisher piece and whatever materials needed to mount the screen in that. I already have a 5-channel amp that I would install to power the existing speakers. Probably around $200 for this install.

Or, if I wanted to install it in the cubby hole, I would need to buy the pop-up screen and a new HU; either a newer stock one and then buy the NIS2 or an aftermarket DD HU that has an Aux input along with a finisher piece. This would cost me around $500 for the pop-up housing and screen + $250 for a DD HU + $100 for the finisher piece. Would cost just under $1000. It would be a much easier install and have more functionality.

Or I could leave the CarPC out and install a DD HU with Nav for around $1500 to $2000 and not have all the features of my CarPC. It would be the easiest to install though.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
^Yes, The OEM finisher in the car has holes for the head unti, head unit buttons and A/C controllers. The DD finisher kit for aftermarket headunits relocvats the controls and has one opening.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Bbut if I were to buy a non-Bose factory HU that has a SAT button it would fit in my existing dash, right?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by xraycat
Bbut if I were to buy a non-Bose factory HU that has a SAT button it would fit in my existing dash, right?
The HU will fit fine, but you would need to make a hole for the SAT button to show of get the finisher that comes with the used HU. Your current finisher doesn't have a hole for that button.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Oh right. I was under the impression that the factory HU's had four buttons regardless if they had SAT or not;
IE:
CD FM AM TAPE or

CD RADIO TAPE SAT

Old 12-14-2007, 02:50 PM
I was under the impression from other members that non-sat radios only had three buttons. If you have four holes, then I would think your finisher would work.

This is what the HU's with the SAT button look like.

Attached Thumbnails Do I have a Bose or non-bose HU?-garmin.jpg  

Last edited by Gilley; 12-14-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Ya I have four buttons/holes. CD, TAPE, FM and AM. I guess I just need to find a non-factory HU with the SAT button.