Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

XM Roady

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Roady

Does anyone have the XM Roady. Does it work well? Please opine.

04 G35C DG AT
Prem Aero Perf
V1
Blizzaks
R splash Guards

Long Island, New York, USA

Old 03-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Re: XM Roady

Yes it works very well.

Pros:

-portable, you can bring it in your house too w/ purchase of home kit

-display, multiple colors plus full readout of artist, title & channel # without having to switch back & forth

-price, $120 includes everything you need to hook it up (cig lighter adapter, cassette adapter, faceplates & antenna)

-antenna, it comes w/ the Delphi micro

Cons:

-audio quality, you're running it thru the cassette deck so it's not gonna sound as good as the OEM direct input tuner. however it sounds better than FM/AM (not hard)

-appearance, you have to mount it somewhere plus you have exposed wires from the cassette deck & cig lighter adapters

For more info go here:

http://www.xmradio.com/roady/

or PM me.

XMLM

Old 03-04-2004, 07:59 PM

I've had XM in my G since July. I've loved it so much I was not driving my other cars due to lack of XM, so this past XMas I got the XM Roady on ebay for about $99 and they had a free home kit mail in offer. It works very well though it doesn't sound quite as good as the Infiniti OEM kit since I use it through the cassette adapter. I tried it on my G just to compare OEM Infiniti XM vs the Roady. I mainly use it in my '97 MB E320 and at home. I rarely ever listen to FM any more. Now with the traffic and weather channels available, I'm not listening to any AM anymore.

If you're thinking about just your G, definitely go with the Infiniti kit. If you want portability, the XM Roady is a decent inexpensive way to go.

Dr. Jim
2003 DesertPlatinum/Graphite G35C 6MT
Aero/Prem/Nav/HyperGround/XMSat/BSM/Tint/ClearBra/CG/NismoChromeShifter/RacePedals/Z-tube/JWTPopCharger

Old 03-05-2004, 12:42 AM

The Roady is great because it's portable. Check out the pics of my easy install. Until the AUX adapter is released, this is a good quick and dirty install.

Wires: mostly hidden in the panel under the steering column
Antenna: mounted on the left front dash. Good reception here. I mostly never loose the signal.
Cigarette Adapter: wire is mostly hidden
Tape Adapter: wire is hidden in the cracks of the stereo face plate and the center console

When tucking away the wire for the tape adapter, be careful cuz the coating is kinda thin. I used a puddy knife and a little patience.

I also cashed in on the free Roady Home Kit Rebate which makes it kinda nice for use in the house (free antenna, power adapter and cradle.) The remote control from Circuity City for $15 is pretty nice too. God forbid that I would have to lean over to the dashboard to change a station!

Lastly, I mounted it on the dash because it's easy to read and reach. Most of all, it's easy to hide the wires in that location. I simply used the mounting tape they provided in the Roady packaging. It's still holding strong with no problems.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions...

Old 03-05-2004, 12:52 AM

Here are some pics...

202183-Roady 3.jpg

Old 03-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Old 03-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info.....

You certainly have many miles already!

04 G35C DG AT
Prem Aero Perf
V1
Blizzaks
R splash Guards

Long Island, New York, USA

Old 03-05-2004, 07:42 AM

Man, I knew somebody was going to notice that! Yeah, I got mine when the Sedan Sport models just came out...well, when they were first being delivered in the Carolinas. I drive the hell out of it to. I have a 60 mile round trip to work every day. That's why the XM Roady comes in handy. BPM radio to keep me awake in the morning....comedy channel for sitting in traffic on the way home!

Old 03-05-2004, 03:31 PM

I've had my Roady for a week now and love it. I wanted something to take with me into the office, as well as use in the car. No more FM for me.

I stuck the antenna on the rear deck on the child seat latch anchor (remove the plastic cap first) and stuffed the wire along the back seat so it's hidden. Then I ran it under the rear floor mats, along the left side of the driver's seat, under the driver's floor mat, then up the left side of the console. I'm also using the cigarette lighter on the driver's side, and used 3M double-lock velcro to stick the light gray mounting bracket to the ashtray. I couldn't find a suitable flat surface large enough to mount the supplied swivel mount. The only wire that's really noticeable is coming out of the cassette. There's another tread on this forum that's discussing a group buy for a circuit board that will let you plug the Roady in directly to the SAT button.

I've had absolutely zero dropouts with the antenna on the back shelf. I even have dark window tint over it which doesn't affect it.

Sound quality is almost like CD. I am a little annoyed at the noise coming out of the cassette player (just the usual mechanical parts moving), but I just turn up the volume to drown it out. Volume control is accessed through a menu, which isn't too convenient, because it's really an output level control. Instead, I run the Roady through my computer at work and control the volume through Windows.

According to BestBuy, they aren't selling the home kit for the Roady anymore. So I bought the SkyFi home kit since it uses the same antenna and AC adapter.

macman246
2003.5 G35 Sedan / Brilliant Silver / Graphite / Premium Pkg