Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Steering Wheel Controls for CarPuter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 07:45 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Steering Wheel Controls for CarPuter

Still haven't had a day to finish up the program yet... but I will definitly finish it at some point, first chance I get, but this is just a side project on a side project and things keep popping up that I have to give priorty to.

I came across this post on MP3Car.com about trying to connect a sony remote stick to a computer. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21978 They are using a joystick plugin for grider that converts current changes to axis values in a similar way that my program does. This *may* be a good alternative for those who want to send more then just keyboard presses on steering when control button presses. However, judging only from the documentation, the plugin just seems to look for a single specific current value from the joystick axis. I don't know if this will work too well since the axis values from the steering wheel remote often stray a bit sometimes even reading an axis value for another button and triggering its key press mistakenly. My program does a bunch of different filtering to ignore these stray values.

Also, if you want the source to my program (MFC, C++) I will email it privately to you, just PM me. I will not post it here or anywhere else on the interenet.

Old 05-02-2004, 04:07 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer

Its Done [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img].

I finally had the time to finish this up. The response time is now great and hopefully should be free of bugs.

This is cross posted on the mp3car.com forum:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...860#post197860

The setup program can be downloaded directly from here: http://filebox.vt.edu/users/cholbroo/SWC.zip

Old 05-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I downloaded it just fine.

And thanks for setting this up GOC. I JUST finished my carputer, and it's in the trunk. Just waiting on the opus 150W.

An inverter is currently powering it for testing purposes.

I'll be sure to test this and give feedback as soon as I can get a hand on some junky free joystick plug.

Thanks again

---
2004 Twlight Blue/Willow 6mt Coupe.
Bel Vector 985 Hardwired.
Grounding Kit.
Splash Guards.
Next Project: Carputer.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:25 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer

I found this today, if you don't have a gameport, you can just use this to make it work as a USB device.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=26%2D164

Old 05-10-2004, 07:56 PM

god_of_cpu, GREAT job with this program and this circuit.

I just tried it, and it works beautifully. I don't have the buttons actually doing anything just yet, but the thing recognizes which button I'm pressing without problems.

Great job, I appreciate the hard work you put into this project.

Oh, and if you're still looking at getting a remote, get the ATI Remote wonder... works wonders and only RF to deal with.

And it has plugins to work with most commercial software (winamp, wmp, etc) so the play/pause/whatever works just fine.

---
2004 Twlight Blue/Willow 6mt Coupe.
Bel Vector 985 Hardwired.
Grounding Kit.
Splash Guards.
Carputer. (Thanks GOC,G35Pimp, and others for their ideas)

Old 05-10-2004, 09:28 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer

wizawuza,

Glad to see the software is working well!

Yeah I'm also a big fan of the ATI remote. I just got "one". The ATI remote is just a rebranded X10 remote, or maybe its the other way around. Either case, I got one from X10 for free with $5 shipping. Goto http://www.x10.com/techliving1/index.htm to get this deal. It is for real. I use the girder plugin for it and it works great.

I've also become a big fan of girder (http://www.girder.nl/) and will eventually port my software for the steering wheel controls to it as a plugin. Although this probably won't happen for at least another month or two.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:48 PM

Hmm, if it's an RF remote, have you tried learning a key into the HomeLink system?

I have an old PII laptop with video-out. Your steering wheel control project and the AVElectronic unit is making me start to seriously consider doing up a carputer of my own.

-- Rob

Old 05-11-2004, 09:10 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer

I don't think theres a capability to learn RF codes, it can just learn IR codes. Although, being an X10 remote, it does work with X10 products which can do all the things that HomeLink could be programmed to do, but you would have to buy some more crap. Which I guess is the reason why X10 is giving thier remote away for free.

A carputer is definitly the way to go. I wouldn't want to own a car without one.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:40 PM

No, other way around. Since the ATI is an RF remote, have you tried teaching the HomeLink learn one of the keys, so you could trigger the computer to do something from a mirror button?

-- Rob

Old 05-11-2004, 02:18 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer

Ah, no, I never even thought of that, but thats a fantastic idea! I'll try it out when I get home today.

Old 05-13-2004, 05:10 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer

I finally got a chance to try to learn the X10 Remote to the homelink controls and I can't get it to work, Grrr! Would of been cool though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Controls for CarPuter