Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AVelectronic install. Who has done one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AVelectronic install. Who has done one?

I just purchased the Avelectronic (the real one, not the one from Ebay) switch box to install in my 2004, G35. The instructions say to unbundle the wires from the back of the NAV unit and find the red, white & black wires. These wires are suppose to have a "connector" on them that you uncouple and plug into the RGB connector that is attached to the AVelectronic box. I have followed these wires from the back of my NAV unit until they disappear up into the top of the dash (about 18 inches) and find no such connector. Can someone who has installed this box give me some help here? Is there such a connector? If so, where is it and more important, how can I get to it?
I called Avelectronic and they have been little help. They keep telling me they only manufacture the product and they don't know anything about the installation. They say that the Infiniti wiring diagram shows it to be there . . . but I can't find it and they have never actually done an install or seen the inside of a G35 themselves.
Can anybody give me some help here? It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Also, for anyone who has done an install. Where did you put your DVD player?

Old 03-18-2004, 12:51 AM
Re: AVelectronic install. Who has done one?

The connector they are mentioning is not the one that is running behind the glove box from what I remember. I think it is the one that is to the left side of the glovebox, and it is kid of just sticking out a little. Don't look for something that goes up and in. It is more like on the left side....

This should easily unplug and you can plug the AV connector as needed.

---------------------------------
Navi-Conversion Kits at Discounted Pricing
*Authorized AV Electronic Dealer*

2003.5 Desert Platinum Sedan
Premium, Navi, xBox

Old 03-18-2004, 10:54 AM

ikSardarG,
You would not happen to have a picture or know where I could find one do you?
When you say "left side" of the glovebox, you mean the driver's side of the glove box, correct? When I am under the dash looking at the back side of the NAV, left is right and right is left, if you know what I mean.
Either way though, I don't follow what you are saying. The wires I was told to look for are; the red, white and black ones coming out of the white connector on the back of the NAV. When I follow these wires, they head up into the top of the dash, where they bundle with a huge wire loom behind the clock area. There are no wires that I can find that head directly to the "left" or directly toward the NAV screen.
Thanks for you help, but I could use some more if you can give it.

Old 03-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's on the left side of the passenger lower console. When he said left side of glove box he means exactly that. There is only one glove box. You will not need to mess with the driver's side.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 11:14 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded with answers. I got directed to a site with pictures and that really helped clear things up for me. It is on the left side of the glove box just behind the cigarette lighter panel. But it looks much different than I was expecting and than the AVelectronic tech support guy reported.
All together now.
Thanks again.

Old 03-21-2004, 04:30 AM

hey spmc,
I am considering buying the avelectronic box, but am worried about how to get to these wires. If I dont plan on mounting a dvd payer permanently, and just hook it up, do i have to worry since my car is a lease? I dont think there should be any problem, but i have no idea how to get to these wires. Is it easy to get to these wires and to undo it three years later?
Thanks all.

2004 6MT Coupe Graphite/Graphite / Performance / Premium / Sirius / Navigation / Clear Bra / Aero / Trunk Mat

Old 03-21-2004, 05:44 PM

Its very easy to -un-do the install. Actually your dealer would never even know if you left it in there - if you had a good quality install done.

Dont worry about it. Use it for 3 years, and pull it when you are done. Its that easy to unwind the install. It would take you less than 20 mins to do it.

Old 03-21-2004, 06:24 PM

sunman, when doing the uninstall, what about the one wire that you have to cut

spmc, whats the link to the site with pictures..

for people who have done this before, do you think this install is a DYI on the same level with the ztube/popcharger install, or much harder?

Old 03-21-2004, 09:41 PM

The uninstall can be easily un-done by simply reconnecting the write that was cut. if you are handy with simple soldering, this would be very easy to do.

Also the level of difficulty probably is comparable to stereo installations, or less. If you are experienced with a vehicles interior (and how is is assembled) - than taking the dashboard down and getting to the wires is a peice of cake. If you arent familar with 12v wiring, I always recommend my customers to get it professionally done.

If you are willing to learn and take your time during the process... There is more than enough info on this board alone to help you get through it.

Hope this helps! Take care!

Premium, Navi, xBox

Old 03-22-2004, 12:00 PM

Here is a link to the site where I got specific pictures of the RGB connector in our G35s.
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cuc...c=ph%26.view=t
Picture #9 shows the RGB connector. (If that link does not work, go to AVelectoric.com and to their links page. Then go down to G35s and choose link #3.)
As for removal of the glove box and right cigarette lighter panel to get access to this RGB connector, I viewed other sites. One was a link on this forum from someone who posted a DIY guide for doing the NAV bypass (allows you to program NAV unit while driving). It is a very well documented disassembly with pictures. It helped me alot.
If you install it in your car and decide to take it out later, it should be easy to do. When you cut the pink wire, instead of soldering it to your AVelctronic box wires, just crimp on some male/female quick disconnects. A male on one side of the pink wire you cut and a female on the other. Then do the same on the AV box wire. When you take it out all you have to do is unplug the disconnects from the AV box and plug the pink wire back together. It would take seconds. No messy de-soldering and resoldering.
The hardest thing about the AV box install is that it comes with NO instructions. Other than how to plug in the RGB connector, you are on your own. If you have no experience hooking up things like this, it can take you awhile to decipher it all. I had none. I do now though. Total install time for me was about 6 hours (that includes installing the DVD and mouning it which took about an hour). Knowing what I know now, and/or if I would have had some direction or help. I believe one could do the total install in about 2-3 hours.
If I can be of any help to anyone about install, please ask, I would be gald to keep someone from going through all the trial and error that I did.
SPMC

Old 03-22-2004, 02:22 PM

Before I was dealing these units, I was able to install the unit in my sedan within 45-60 minutes. This included the disassembly of the dash area for me as well. For some reason, I was able to complete this easily.

All I did was review the various links on the net... it was a easy install... The un-install should be a breeze...

Premium, Navi, xBox