Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Hooking up multiple amps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008 | 08:39 PM
|
Hooking up multiple amps

I currently have a 300Watt kicker amp powering a sub, I got a great deal on a box w 2 12's and one amp. But them amp dosent generate enough power for both subs. So Im thinking of using my current amp with the new amp to power the new box w two amps. I've researched it and Im fairly clear on how to split the power and ground signal (although any pointers would be appreciated), but im not very clear on how to split the turn on lead. Any help would be more than welcomed, thanks.

Old 02-26-2008 | 08:53 PM
Don't mix different amps with the subs. Get one amp to power both subs, preferrably a monoblock amp or channel.

Old 02-26-2008 | 08:58 PM
|
Originally Posted by Gilley
Don't mix different amps with the subs. Get one amp to power both subs, preferrably a monoblock amp or channel.
How come? And isnt a monoblock a one channel amp, how can it power two subs?

Old 02-26-2008 | 09:02 PM
I'm pretty sure you can bridge the two subs together as long as you pay attention to what the ohms are and match it accordingly to what your amp can handle, since bridging affects the resistance. (but that's just me talking out of my azz )

Old 02-26-2008 | 09:02 PM
A one channel 1000 watt amp will have no problem powering any two subs you want to hook to it.

Each amp will provide different amounts of power and frequencies, which will result in poor sound. Also, you won't be as efficient with two amps as with one. Get one amp powerful enough to do the job, or your good deal isn't such a good deal.

Old 02-26-2008 | 09:04 PM
Hey Gilley just curious, do you do audio installs? I noticed that you usually have the best/correct answer to most audio question I see on here.

Old 02-26-2008 | 09:07 PM
|
Oh I see, so its bridging two speakers kind of like bridging an amp? Joint both the positives and both the negatives into a single- and + connection and hook that up into the - and + of the mono amp?

Old 02-26-2008 | 09:13 PM
Something like that, Gilley will probably give you the correct answer. You could read up on the difference of wiring in series and parallel and the effects of each

Old 02-26-2008 | 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Dakkerz
Hey Gilley just curious, do you do audio installs? I noticed that you usually have the best/correct answer to most audio question I see on here.
I have been into car and home audio for over 22 years. I have done installs in all of my cars and those of many friends, including both og my G's and some friends'. I have personal experience with some of the unique issues with the G. I don't have the professional experience that some, such as 16psibrick (Bing) have and I don't pretend to.

Originally Posted by purplebeast
Oh I see, so its bridging two speakers kind of like bridging an amp? Joint both the positives and both the negatives into a single- and + connection and hook that up into the - and + of the mono amp?
There are two ways to wire multiple drivers - series and parallel - depending on your speakers, amp, and needs.

Look here for specifics. http://www.installdr.com/TechDocs/999016.pdf

Old 02-26-2008 | 10:01 PM
I have been into car and home audio for over 22 years. I have done installs in all of my cars and those of many friends, including both og my G's and some friends'. I have personal experience with some of the unique issues with the G. I don't have the professional experience that some, such as 16psibrick (Bing) have and I don't pretend to.

Well I'm glad you've gone through all the issues, because I've found a lot of usefull info from your posts.

Old 02-26-2008 | 10:21 PM
I'm glad I could be of help. That's what we're here for.

Old 02-26-2008 | 11:49 PM
|

There are two ways to wire multiple drivers - series and parallel - depending on your speakers, amp, and needs.

Look here for specifics. http://www.installdr.com/TechDocs/999016.pdf
Thanks, that link was very helpful.