Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AVIC-Z2 Install Photos/Videos (hidden GPS, integrated MIC, IPOD, AV, and Backup Cam)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Archangel
How is your reception on the mic? I had mine flush mounted in the card holder and had to move it because it picked up too much noise over my voice.
Yeah, I called Pioneer before getting the unit installed and they said the mic wouldn't work very well if it were flush mounted because it's multi-directional. Works great the way I have it (since it sticks out it can pick up sounds from all sides).

Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...I might have to move mine back and try it like you have it. I don't like having it on the A-pillar.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Archangel
Hmmm...I might have to move mine back and try it like you have it. I don't like having it on the A-pillar.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
The GPS antenna is hidden where the factory nav antenna would be (behind the clock somewhere (under the dash) and reception has been perfect
can't seem to find that spot on my 03...must be slightly different on the 05+

Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
OEM gps antennas are usually in the rear deck

Old 04-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Kevlo911
OEM gps antennas are usually in the rear deck
I don't know, you may be right; however, in the G, it's in the dash:

AVIC-Z2 Install Photos/Videos (hidden GPS, integrated MIC, IPOD, AV, and Backup Cam)-gpsantennalocation.jpg

Old 04-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Hey, just wondering what you think of the Z2's nav and it's Ipod interface? Those 2 things seem to be the biggest issues with the model.

Did you know the Z3 is out and that it's about $200 more than the Z2? I wonder if it's worth getting the new model. I hear it just has new map and software updates.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by G35ANSTA
Hey, just wondering what you think of the Z2's nav and it's Ipod interface? Those 2 things seem to be the biggest issues with the model.

Did you know the Z3 is out and that it's about $200 more than the Z2? I wonder if it's worth getting the new model. I hear it just has new map and software updates.
Wow that's really cool.. I didn't know. I'm really happy with the navigation system. The ipod interface,however, could use some work. The interface itself is fine, but since they are using the IPBUS system designed for CD changers there is a small delay in scrolling through long lists. The problem can be avoided simply by creating playlists (still beats having to toss around lots of CDs). Pioneer tech support said they are going to improve the ipod interface by changing it over from an IPBUS to USB; not sure if the Z3 supports that yet or not. Still, it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 AM
Wow that's really cool.. I didn't know. I'm really happy with the navigation system. The ipod interface,however, could use some work. The interface itself is fine, but since they are using the IPBUS system designed for CD changers there is a small delay in scrolling through long lists. The problem can be avoided simply by creating playlists (still beats having to toss around lots of CDs). Pioneer tech support said they are going to improve the ipod interface by changing it over from an IPBUS to USB; not sure if the Z3 supports that yet or not. Still, it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Cool that's exactly why I was hoping for. I have researched other units and I keep coming back to the Z mostly because of it's hard drive and 7" screen. I am going to opt for the Z2 and save some money over the Z3 which from what I can tell is really hard to get anyway. I found a bunch of websites that were advertising the Z3 for $1100. Too good to be true beacuse I later found that those same websites have god awful reviews on a consumer rating site I found.

Anywayz...Just wondering where u bought your unit!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by G35ANSTA
Cool that's exactly why I was hoping for. I have researched other units and I keep coming back to the Z mostly because of it's hard drive and 7" screen. I am going to opt for the Z2 and save some money over the Z3 which from what I can tell is really hard to get anyway. I found a bunch of websites that were advertising the Z3 for $1100. Too good to be true beacuse I later found that those same websites have god awful reviews on a consumer rating site I found.

Anywayz...Just wondering where u bought your unit!
I got mine through my installer, Bing Xu. Check out his homepage.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:39 AM
by the way, if anyone in the bay area is going to be removing the factory BOSE HU, let me know, I'd like to catch it on video.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:43 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
nice setup.. where did you get your a/c control with the dual climate control?

Old 04-22-2008, 04:44 AM
Originally Posted by krnn1cenamja
nice setup.. where did you get your a/c control with the dual climate control?
Are you asking me?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 PM
The only way I know of actually getting the AC controller with the dual button installed (and the way I got mine) is by emailing

Y o s h i t a k a Ikeda (had to spell it out with spaces because otherwise the forum censors the "s h i t" part)

in japan. Send him an email, he is very professional and it is amazing doing business with him.

yosi@j-garage.com

Old 04-23-2008, 12:45 AM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
i think IPBUS is the older one, and its not a little slow, its REALLY slow. My D3 supports the new connection (so I assume the Z3 does as well) and its 100x faster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AVIC-Z2 Install Photos/Videos (hidden GPS, integrated MIC, IPOD, AV, and Backup Cam)