Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Installing Factory iPod in 03.5 6MT Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tvillalona
I have sat radio, how would it be a problem
No - just purchase the additional harness with the kit when you buy it (25 bucks). There is an option to add the additional harness before you add it to your cart. Basically, the iPod overrides your SAT radio when it is plugged in. When you want to use the SAT Radio, just unplug your iPod.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write up my fellow 06-G-Man, just got done with the hour install this weekend. Smart idea on putting the kit in the backseat center console.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
thanks - I can't take credit for that - I saw it on another post on here somewhere. Also I started figuring out how to really use this thing. The interface really is pretty good. I can search via Playlist, Album, Artist, Title, Composer or Genre. You can choose to Play repeat the whole album, or a Playlist. When you want to display the title on the headunit, you can either display the Artist or Title. If it is too long, you press the "PTY" button again and it shows the rest of the letters in the title. Pretty slick.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Is there any benefit to installing the ipod in the center console?

Also, if I opted for a trunk install, is it as simple as just doing steps 1-3?

Old 04-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tips from Caveman's retarded brother

Well these are great instructions but there are a couple more things to help the truly incompetant do this (on an 05 coupe):

First, if you cant remove the trunk carpet, remove spare tire, plastic cover and then plug into the only white plug showing than you are truly hopeless ( it's very simple if you want to leave the Ipod in the trunk-20 minutes, top).

Running the cable to the rear seat console is straight forward... it helps to put the seatback up and down to get your route for the cable to go thru (just open the velcro on the seatback material between the seat and trunk near the driver's side to easily get it thru).

The rear console popped out fairly easy but for some reason one side of my rear seat was hard to pop off (more on that). Unbolting the front console only gives you about a half inch to lift up... but it was enough.

Elrooko must be some kind of Houdini to get that wire from the front console to the rear with the rear seat in place. It was impossible for me and my skills.

So here's my extra tips for those of us with limited skills:

Yank on the rear seat to pop it up (the manual says to "lift and pull forward"... no need to remove from car, just push it up out of the way to have room to pull wire thru carpet.

Take off the front console lid (pop off plastic cover between hinges and unscrew 4 phillip screws) and remove the ashtray (push down on the silver thing as your opening it and it will come out).

If you have big hands the rest of this might not work for you as the confines of the 2 openings in the console are tight.

Attached Thumbnails DIY: Installing Factory iPod in 03.5 6MT Coupe-ipod-install-001_edited.jpg  

Last edited by mondo; 04-16-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:48 PM
I took a screw driver and than a socket extension and from the carpet under the back seat I tried to make a wedge/opening/path for the wire to get to the front console (you can pop off a couple plastic caps and loosen the carpet edge under the rear seats).
I used a wire coat hanger, with the tip folded over and taped and ran it to the front console. This wasn't easy and using my fingers inside the small opening at the rear of the front console I was able to feel the end of the hanger and bend it upwards so it could clear the metal backet it was bumping up against. I also took a razor knife and cut the carpet inside this spot of the console to help make an opening (you'll never see it as it's inside the console).
It was a major pain in the A*#@ to work inside this small opening and I got so excited when I got the fish thru that I taped up the wrong end and pulled it back thru It was easier the 2nd time

I put the box in the same spot but on my car the rear console has only that one spot for the box. I couldn't get my console to snap/lock down, though it is all the way down and snug. I can live with this... if it bugs me I'll just put it under the rear seat like others have done.

I'll post/insert some pics I took but I have to reduce their size first. Except for fishing wire that 10 inches between the console and rear seats, it was really easy. That part though....

Attached Thumbnails DIY: Installing Factory iPod in 03.5 6MT Coupe-ipod-install-002_edited.jpg   DIY: Installing Factory iPod in 03.5 6MT Coupe-ipod-install-004_edited.jpg  

Last edited by mondo; 04-16-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:35 PM
steering wheel controls

I have a 04 coupe. Does this kit allow me to skip to the next song using the steering wheel controls? also will the volume control still work.

This is the only thing holding me back from getting this right now. I use the steering wheel controls a lot.

Also, is it hard to navigate between playlists? How is that done on the headunit?

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts
same kit for iphone?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 AM
old thread, i know...

but i just wanted to thank the OP for this thread and the DIY instructions/pictures. they were awesome!

this kit is really cool, but i have 2 minor qualms about it:

1. hitting the track skip button on the steering wheel does nothing, but holding it for 1.5 seconds goes to the next song. this would be much better if a simple click went to the next track, and holding it down fast forwarded or rewinded the track. (like i said, MINOR qualms)

2. the kit defaults to RPT*OFF and RND*OFF (random off) every time you turn on the car. this is pretty annoying as im always having to go into the setup menu and turn on RND*LIST. why cant it just keep the settings it had before? more importantly, does anyone know how to change this?

overall impressions: a very nice kit for those who need the title/artist info on the stock headunit. easy installation if you want it in the trunk and moderate installation if you want the ipod routed back up front. ease of use is only fair, for the above reasons, but sound quality is excellent!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Premier Member

Nice Thread!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Gj!!

Old 12-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Great write up. Thinking about doing this for mine. Is there any way to do this cheeper tho?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Just did mine today. Good write up. I have an 05 coupe with the sat installed but not subscribed. I got the additional harness but when i tried to hook it up it just said no signal. everythingg35.com was unable to help me fix the problem. I ended up just unplugging the sat cable from the box and using the regular harness....FM/AM and Ipod worked so i stuck with that.

THen i tackled the installation. "Gently" pulling on the console of the 2005 model will not remove it. In fact, if i had pulled any harder i may have broke the brackets that hold it in. If you have a 2005 coupe, just remove the bottom rear seat by pulling up and towards the rear of the car. Then you can use your thumb to pop out the console if need be.

I was planning on putting the box under the rear metal piece like the write up says. Either my box is different or my console is different because there was no way it was going to fit in there. I ended up dremmeling out a rectangle hole from the inside of the console near the cup holders underneath the little piece that removes from the top of the rear console. Not ideal but it worked and it is out of sight and secure.

Obviously the front console of an AT and MT are different. I have an AT and i was not going to be able to put the hole in the back of the console. The metal bracket for the rear ashtray covers most of that area. I put it in the floor of the console near the driver side rear corner, not as sleek, but functional.

Running into those snags and being that my drill would not keep a charge, it took me about 6 hours.....entirely too long. I also dropped one of the skrews that holds the console lid on down in the console and could not get it out. Hopefully the dealership will have a few on standby.
Now that I am done, I am very happy that i did it. My friend who just bought a 370Z told me that he liked his car better because he had the Ipod connector in the console. I guess now he will be one more Z owner with G envy.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:58 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
Does this charge your iphone?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Its supposed to charge the Ipod, dont know about Iphone.

Last edited by blueline; 03-04-2010 at 02:13 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Installing Factory iPod in 03.5 6MT Coupe