Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp install problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 03:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp install problem

Ok, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what to expect when tearing into my Bose system, but ran into a problem. I have the "premium" (cough cough) Bose system with Navigation (no Sat.) I have been watching the posts here for quite some time, have printed out the wiring diagram, and have a good installer lined up for installation of an Infinity Basslink as a quick fix for some low end until I can swing a custom fiberglass enclosure. Anyways, the installers could not find the remote signal coming into the factory amp to signal power-up for the Basslink. After a long process at the stereo shop I got the car home and busted out the multi-meter and tested all the wires running to (and from) the factory amp for signal when the key is on. I also could not find the remote signal from the head unit.

Do any of you audio people out there have any idea what my problem could be. Are people just running a signal from the cigarette lighter or some other source that receives power when the key is on to the remote power-on on the amps. Any input would be much appreciated, I am sure I am missing something completely obvious here.

03 Coupe DG/Graphite, 6MT, All options except Sat.

Old 04-11-2004, 03:56 AM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Amp install problem

I had the same problem too when I installed my aftermarket deck.

Ok...here's the story. Even before I swapped out my stock Clarion deck, I had my install crew install 2 MTX amps, and BassLink all with VEN 4 LOCs running off the then stock deck.

A month later when I finally received my v35 dash parts, I swapped out my deck, ran all RCAs, cut out all the VEN4's and turned it on. WTF? no power to my amps. Then I remembered that I needed to hook up the amp lead out power wire up to my amps and the BassLink. I looked in the trunk and "great!" remote power terminal on both MTX amps and the BassLink had wires attached to them. I tracked the wires to where they were crimped into the stock wiring. I think it was blue/white stripe that they were crimped to.

I move to back of deck and look at stock wiring harnesses to find "amp power lead out" wire to hook up my aftermarket deck's amp power lead out wire (blue/white stripe). I tried 2 different wires that were light blue, light blue w/ white stripe and still no power to amps and BassLink. BTW, the Scosche NN03 wiring harness has no blue/white stripe wire for the amp power lead out wire either.

What I ended up doing was going to RadioShack, buying 20' of 12G wire and crimping to aftermarket deck's amp power lead out wire, along passenger side door sill, along back seat, into trunk and hooking up all 3 remote power wires to that 12G wire I ran.

GREAT! Now there was power to the 2 amps and the Basslink. Long story short, I wasn't able to identify or find for that matter, the stock remote power/amp power lead out wire on the stock wire harness. I would recommend just running your own 12G 12V remote power wire to your amp or BassLink.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for all the info, I think I've got it up and running now. One other question, did you take the 6x9's out of the rear deck, and if so how did you get the speaker grills off of them? It appears that they are held in on the corners, but I don't want to lift too hard in case I break them. I pulled the backing from behind the speakers, but they are attached from above.

03 Coupe DG/Graphite, 6MT, All options except Sat.

Old 04-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

i replaced my 6x9's with Infinity Kappa 3-ways. My install crew switched out the 6x9's so I don't now how they exactly did it. I heard it was pretty tough though....

Old 04-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the manual, it looks like the Green/Yellow wire (pin 12 in connector M41) on the head unit is the "Amp on Signal".

This connects to the Sky Blue wire (pin 31 in connector B122) at the stock Amp.

Hope this helps,
Dave

2004.5 DG/G 5AT Coupe with all options
Sidemarker turnsignal mod
GroundingGear™
2003 Yamaha YZF600R