Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Nav/mp3/video option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav/mp3/video option

Hey, had this for a while but just got a new cam so testing out video so to show this off if anyone was interested.

After my double-din avic got stolen, i was in the market for a new nav/mp3 player, and definitely wasn't going back to all the work and money for the double din. Also, windshield mount navs weren't a possibility because they'd probably get stolen too in my neighborhood, and plus i hate all those wires going around everywhere.

Then at staples they had a sale on the V7 nav700, gave it a shot, and it was almost built to fit perfectly in the cubbyhole in the center dash... it actually snaps in perfectly. Whats even better, the plugs are recessed in the back of the unit, so no gay wires sticking out the sides.

I simply ran the power through a hole in the cubby, and also another stereo wire from there to my pa11 for stereo sound in the factory head unit, and was good to go. Somewhat looks factory, best of all can be hidden easily and remounted as if nothing was there in the first place.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QQxAjL9w2SU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QQxAjL9w2SU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Pro's:
Cheap unit ($130 on sale at staples)
Fairly good navigation, I rate it a B+ since it does get you to the place fine, but i liked the directions my VZnavigator gave me more
Easy install, hides away and mounts no efffort.
Recessed wiring
Video/Mp3 on SD cards (great if you have a PA11 to hook up to your factory stereo)
Everything looks stock
Hackable unit (hard to see on video but changed all the lame wallpapers and buttons)

Con's
No full screen on video
can't play music while nav
No text to speech
No bluetooth