Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Stock head unit users.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stock head unit users.

A 12" woofer with a Precision Power 1000.1 amp will give you unGodly amounts of bass in that car. I have the 500.1 amp with a 12" Boston and have turned the gain waaaay down on the amp and I still have gobs of bass.
The stock speakers simply suck. You'll want better fronts and an amp. You can always change the fronts, and not add an amp, and see what you think, but I bet you'll want more power for them. (*Especially* with your sub in the trunk.)
I've kept my stock head unit, running the speaker-level outs into Precision Power amps and everything sounds very good.
Good luck with your system.

Old 04-22-2004, 06:56 PM

I've grown to like the mid bass of the 6X9's ... has anyone been able to produce the same amount of mid base with aftermarket speakers? Most aftermarket speakers tend to not produce as much midbase as stock speakers. Stocks speakers have a fuller sound but are not cleaner then aftermarket.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:12 PM

Sac says "most aftermarket speakers tend to not produce as much midbase as stock speakers"??

I'll go out on a limb and say that, generally, that's not a true statement. *Generally* car makers don't put much $$ into their speakers, and you get crap.
Also, the 6X9's are supposed to be the "subs" in the G35 Bose system, so if they're cranking out the mid-bass it's probably because they're not cutting it as subs.

"Stock speakers have a fuller sound. . ." I also take issue with that statement. You may prefer the sound of stock speakers, but that's probably because they're not accurately playing the frequencies they're being fed. They "color" the sound. The more expensive a speaker, the flatter, less-colored sound you get. And, generally, a flat-sounding system is a little boring, albiet more accurate.

You get what you pay for, and stock is usually cheap.

My $.02.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:41 PM

So I can add another amp and change the door speakers and keep the stock head unit????

Someone please help ASAP!!! I need to have answers by Monday!!!

Old 04-22-2004, 11:59 PM

GoldClam, yes, you can add amps and speakers and keep the stock head unit.
I had the coupe with the non-bose system and now have new fronts, a sub, and two amps. It sounds great! Good luck.

My install shop ran the signal from the head unit directly into my Precision Power amps (they put RCA ends on the speaker wires). Your shop may choose to have the speaker-level signal go through a converter to "take it down a notch", but the Precision Power amps (at least the new ones I got) handle the speaker-level signal just fine. I'm extremely pleased with the sound.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:20 AM

Do you have any suggestions of what type of speaker to get for my front doors? And what size would I need? I drive a 2004 G35 Sedan.

Non Bose set up.

thanks again

Old 04-23-2004, 02:16 AM

The stock speakers in the front doors of the coupe (and sedan, I believe) are 6.5". My installers were able to "cut out" the stock speakers (their words) and use the same mounting kit for my new speakers. (So the car looks stealth.) I put in some "big" Boston Acoustics 6.5"s, and there wasn't a depth problem.
Professionals shouldn't have a problem getting aftermarket 6.5" speakers in.

As for type of speakers, that really depends on your budget. Listen to what the installers reccomend and see if you like the sound. *Good* 6.5" separates begin around $200 and go up over $1,000. Find a pair you can live with. I like Boston Acoustic, Infinity, and Diamonds. Focals get good marks, and some people swear by MB Quarts. It's a personal decision.
You'll most likely need/want another amp to drive the front speakers if you get separates (and their crossovers).
Again, good luck!

Old 04-23-2004, 02:29 AM

Alright, this is what I'm thinking of doing. First, ordering a Dave Navone LOC NE-774. Next I'm getting some Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.5 Component Set (which includes 2 front door speakers and 2 tweeters). And a custom box built for a Shiva 12" woofer. I'll be using 2 Precision Power amps. One is 1000.1 sub amp, the other is a 300.4, both are the new DCX models.

Do you think that's all I'll need? Am I forgetting anything else? Any recommendations?

I only want him tearing up my car once, so I'd prefer to get it all done at once. I plan to keep the head unit, I hope this works!!!

Old 04-23-2004, 02:46 AM

I think the equipment you're proposing will sound awesome, although I don't know if you'll really need that much power going to the sub! I guess it depends on what music you listen to, and how loud you listen it!
I think you'll love the BA Pros. *I* love 'em. I ended-up getting the BA Z6's, because the Pros were out of stock.
I'm using the 300.4 in my car for the fronts as well. Precision Power makes nice amps. (IMHO)
Some people may tell you to consider putting in another set of speakers in the back seat area. I, personally, don't think a car needs rear fill, but, to each his own.
Some people would tell you to add a 1 Farad capacitor between the power wire coming from the battery and the Sub amp to supply "quick" power when you're taxing the amp. I don't feel strongly about it.
You're buying quality equip. I think you're going to be happy.
Let me know how everything turns out!

Old 04-23-2004, 03:11 AM

The 1000.1 will actually be putting out 400 watts at 4 ohms. The Shiva can handle up to 600 I beleive, so I figured 400 was perfect. I dunno, but I'll find out soon enough.

My main concern is that my stereo guy said he wouldn't recomend adding another amp and changing the door speakers unless I changed the HU. What do you think of that?

Old 04-23-2004, 03:31 AM

hehe, sounds like the same setup i just got, i upgraded my components to boston acoustic pro 6.5's mids and tweets and jl 10w7 in a sealed box with a jl 500/1, and jl 300/4, sounds awesome, i just ordered my dashkit from Yoshi, and will be getting my alpine cda-9833 today, thats gonna make a big difference when i get my alpine put in, but for now it sounds a whole lot better than stock, i personally love the bostons... awesome components... and the cool thing is that most of the install and wires will be ran from the trunk, so they wont tear your car up at all, except for removing the door panels to put your speakers in and your door sills to run the power wire into your trunk... everything else will be in the trunk including, the LOC's... the bass is a lot to me, i have to set it down to -5 at times on the headunit..., and i usually listen to my music at volume 22... it really depends on the song tho...

them bostons are nice! they're 3ohm speakers... so a jl 300/4 or 300/2 will push em perfectly. and I also believe in no rear fill, for a true SQ setup, you only want front fill... sounds much better to me this way, cuz you can really differentiate between the bass and the rest of the soundstage this way.... good luck on your install. post some pics of it...

Old 04-23-2004, 03:53 AM

Can someone tell me how much the kit cost and where I can get it just in case I decide to change the head unit?

Old 04-23-2004, 09:32 AM

So do you guys think a PPI 600.4 (75x4) would power the Boston 6.5 Pros nicely? I may do this and use the rears for a sub, rather than replace the rear door speakers.

2004 Diamond Graphite Infiniti G35 Sedan
Z Intake Tube
5% Tint
ZAINO

Old 04-23-2004, 10:21 AM

The 600.4 will give tons of power to the BA Pros.
I don't know what you mean by "use the rears for a sub, rather than replace the rear door speakers."
Are you saying you have the Bose system with the 6X9's? I think if you put in good front speakers, and don't want a "booming system" you might be happy.

Old 04-23-2004, 10:28 AM

Sorry for not clarifying, I have the non-bose system. Since the amp is 4 channel, I was planning on using the rear channels to power some rear coax speakers, but I don't think there are any coax that would sound very good, so most of the power would be wasted. So now I'm thinking on using the two rear channels to power a sub, maybe 1 10" or something...

2004 Diamond Graphite Infiniti G35 Sedan
Z Intake Tube
5% Tint
ZAINO

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock head unit users.