Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Stock head unit users.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock head unit users.

I like to know from all the people who have upgraded their system, but kept their stock unit. How does your overall system sound now? Im planning to do this..I just wanted to know heads up on what I can expect. Thanks..

Old 04-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Stock head unit users.

Before I swapped out my HU, I had stock deck + upgraded aftermarket speakers(Infinity) and amps (MTX Thunders) and BassLink. I was waiting for my dash parts from J's.

Sounded much better than totally stock system mostly b/c of the updated separates (Infinity Perfect 6.1's) in the front doors and more powerful amp. But after I switched out my stock Clarion deck and removed the LOCs and ran all RCAs rather than stock wiring to amps, it sounded 1000% better. Night and day. The sound output was crisper, cleaner and louder with less volume gain on the deck. Plus, I got rid of that fugly slot thing in the stock deck...I think its a called a cassette tape something or other....what the hell you use that for????? lol

Bascially,

stock deck + aftermarket speakers and amp (and LOCs) =better than stock system output (but remember this also depends on the quality of the your components though.....)

BUT,

aftermarket deck +aftermarket amp + aftermarket speakers = MUCH better sound (again depending on quality of components)

Hope this helps....

docron1 aka joepaniolo

Old 04-15-2004, 06:15 PM

I've kept the head unit and love the sound.
The installers took the line-level outs from the the HU and ran 'em into my Precision Power amps, driving Boston Acoustics Z6's up front, and a Boston 12.5 LF sub in the trunk.
Fairly simple, electronically. I used top-notch speakers and amps. I'm very impressed.
If it were easier to pull the head unit I'd probably do that, but I really like the in-dash six-disc changer and the steering-wheel controls.
There are ways to keep this functionality, but my car is stealthy, and sounds awesome. Everyone that's listened to it is amazed.

Old 04-16-2004, 01:13 AM

I agree with joepaniolo, however with a high quality LOC properly setup you can make the most of the stock HU.

David Navone's N-774V Line Output Converter

What's great about this guy is that he personally responds to your e-mails. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BLKSNAKE - '04 G35 Coupe
Check out my hidden sub! [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 04-16-2004, 02:51 AM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

That's right, with a GOOD LOC like the popular VEN4s, you can maxmize your stock deck.

Old 04-16-2004, 11:02 AM

Why add a LOC if your amp can handle speaker-level?

Old 04-16-2004, 05:45 PM

The stock HU works extremely well with the Peripheral Ven4. But, if you do use the stock HU ... get an EQ. The "Bass/Tre" controls are near worthless, you really, really need to be able to adjust the levels at a more fine level if you want the stock HU to sound good.

If you apply some EQing to the output, it sounds great. I'm very satisfied with the result. I was surprised by the lack of noise or engine whine. With my system, there's only a slight hint of noise when the CD seeks.

Why use a LOC if the amps take a line-in? It's easier to run it through an EQ / Crossover. Also for some strange reason many of the amps I"ve used that do have speaker level inputs ... don't have level controls on that input!

Old 04-16-2004, 06:56 PM

Point taken.
If you're running your signal through any processing equipment, you'll want a lower signal.
Quick question-did you do any RTA-ing on your system when adjusting your EQ? How flat was the signal before EQ-ing? (I'm just making up verbs as I go.)
I've heard of stock systems that have boosted certain frequencies to make them sound "better" (in their opinion). I'd hate to think that Infiniti did that, but I know better.

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2004, 11:17 PM

I just installed MB Quartz components up front and an MTX 8" sub in the rear all powered by an Alpine 4 ch amp. I had the premium BOSE (cough) system and I am very happy with the result even though I kept the stock HU. I would like to incorporate an equalizer though for the reasons previously stated.

Old 04-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be using the stock deck with Dave's LOC and the alto mobile drive 30 processor. Still figuring what to do with the amp and speaker setup.

http://www.altomobile.com/html/crossovers.html

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
AIM= bkchang79

Old 04-17-2004, 02:18 AM

Where did you mount the EQ?

Old 04-17-2004, 02:47 AM

I had an old Alpine EQ that's fairly small, about the size of the Sirius tuner. Until now I've been running a completely experimental setup. The EQ was just stuck to the side of the sub box with velcro. My G is currently in getting its "real" install done, and I'm going to make a new thread for it. I'm planning on leaving the EQ hidden in the trunk. While it would be nice to access it and play with it from inside the cabin, I don't want to detract from the "stock" look and feel.

I wanted to find out if I was going to be able to tolerate the converted output from stock head unit (I've ALWAYS had aftermarket head units with elaborate systems in my cars), and how the 10"s were going to sound, before committing to having a stereo shop do a full install. Again I am very surprised by how good it sounds. I don't have access to an RTA (I wish I did), but in careful listening to CDs I'm intimately familiar with, don't beleive the head unit is introducing any significant equalization problems into the signal. I have had no problems with the output level, and it interacts with the EQ perfectly.

Again, it's not that the output is so bad that you need an EQ to fix it... it's that the adjustments on the HU (bass/treble) don't give enough control.

Old 04-17-2004, 01:23 PM

What's a solid EQ to use?

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:35 PM

I appreciate everyone for your input. I hope the stock hu will be enough to satisfy my ears. Thanks again.

Old 04-22-2004, 10:55 AM

I just purchased a 2004 G35 Sedan stock stereo (non Bose) a month ago. And I'm in the process of upgrading the stereo. I've decided to keep the stock head unit as well. I'm adding a 12" Shiva woofer with a Precision Power 1000.1 amp. The custom box is being built as we speak, and will only take up the space in the trunk behind the seats. (I'll still be able to fit my golf clubs)

Here's my problem, my stereo guy recommends not to change my door speakers unless I add another amp for them. Which then says I should probably change the HU also if I add another amp. But I really like the stock HU and don't want to change it, what should I do? Why can't i just change the 2 front door speakers without adding an amp? Will it mess up the sound quality? Is it not worth it? Will a 12" Shiva be too much bass if I don't change the door speakers? What kind of door speakers should I get if I change them?

Sorry, I'm a newbie here and I have lots of questions. My main concern is keeping the sound quality, but still having enough bass to make the panties shake!! LOL

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by GoldClam on 04/22/04 08:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock head unit users.