Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What is required to wire an aftermarket headunit up? - wiring harness confusion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay the tweeters I had came iwth this nifty adapter that allowed me to basically screw them right into the stock location.

Are you guys running the RCA's and trigger wire along the driver's side to keep it away from the power and avoid noise?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You can splice into the front speaker wires coming out of the Bose amp and connect them to your new amp.

The Bose tweeters are connected to the front speakers in the door. The only crossover is a simple capacitor glued onto the tweeter.

The OEM tweeter has a metal bracket holding it in place. You can hot glue (or otherwise glue) the new tweeter to it and reuse the bracket in the stock location.

You should get the MDF spacers for the front door speakers to space them out to meet the back of the plastic door panel. The spacers are only about $20.

My power wire is run down the right side and the RCAs are down the left side. The turn on wire is on the right side of the car with the power wire.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually already made my own MDF spacer/adapters. They are only 1/2" but the speaker still clears the window and such.

The tweeters came with an adapter, I was able to use them to bolt them to the stock mounting points.

My biggest issue right now is with the Metra dash kit. It doesn't have any instructions to use it with my OEM navigation. There is no mounting points where I can simply have a firm mount with my OEM navi to the metra trim piece.

Furthermore I cannot firmly mount my aftermarket 1 din radio to the metra kit. There is an iso mount option, but it screws onto the radio, then the radio clips into the metra kit. Once again this isn't firm and the radio is very loose. I am starting to loose my mind on this. I have been going at it on-off for 10 hrs. My car is in pieces and the place is a complete mess.

I am going to run the remote wire and the RCA's down the driver's side to avoid any chance of induced noise.

Looking back at this nightmare, I should have gone the route of wiring in an ipod adapter via satellite control, and doing a simple amp/subwoofer add on later. Nightmare.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The purpose of the MDF speaker spacer isn't to space the speaker out from the window, but rather to space the front of the speaker to the back of the door panel so there aren't gaps that may lessen the quality of the sound.