Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What is required to wire an aftermarket headunit up? - wiring harness confusion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is required to wire an aftermarket headunit up? - wiring harness confusion

I have a 2003 6 speed Coupe with OEM Navigation.

I want to run the OEM Bose rear deck 6x9s, the rear 6.5" speakers and a set of aftermarket front component speakers powered by an amp, all instructed by a signal from an aftermarket Alpine 9887 head unit.

I have a double din metra kit for use with the install.

What special harness do I need to use my aftermarket alpine head unit with the OE wiring? Is it just the regular Nissan aftermarket wiring harness (for all nissan/infiniti 1984 and newer), or is a special one required?

Also as I still want to power the rear speakers off the stock bose. Would I need the Metra 70-7551 harness - http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Nis.../120707551.htm
??

I am a little confused here, any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Can anyone please help?

Thanks

Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Confused.... You got a head unit and a amp? 4 channel amp? If you have a new deck then you only need is power, ground and remote from the factory harness. You run new wires to doors and power by the amp. Not sure you wanna power 2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm power Im pretty sure thats a no no.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Okay here is what I want to do.

I have a new aftermarket deck that I want to install.

I have new component speakers for the front (4 ohm) that I want to install.

I have a JL 300/2 2 channel amp to power the front 4 ohm component speakers.

I want to keep the stock bose rear 6.5" and 6x9's also powered, by stock bose amp.

How can I do this? Or should I just forget about trying to use the rear bose speakers?

If I just use the components alone, with the JL 2 channel amp, what harness to use?

Thanks

However

Old 05-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a regular Nissan harness for my head unit.

Instead of running new wires to the fronts (which is not easy) I cut them before the Bose amp and hooked them to my new amp.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Thats exactly how I was thinking of powering the front door speakers.

What about the rear 6x9's and the rear 6.5's? Did you leave them unpowered, integrate the stock bose audio, or replace with aftermarket?

Last edited by kingrukus; 05-28-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:59 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my rears, got rid of the 6x9s, and added a sub.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You can install a new HU and an amp to power the front speakers and let the Bose amp power the rear. I haven't read about anyone else doing that but it can be done.

There may be others ways of doing it, but I would get the Metra Nissan harness with the two pairs of RCA cables for the Bose equipped cars. Coming from your new HU, run the rear RCA output cables to send the audio signal to the Bose amp and the front RCA outputs to send the signal, via new RCA cables, to your new amp.

Splice into the stock wire harness coming out of the Bose amp to sendthe speaker signal from the new amp to the front doors.

You will also need a PAC steering wheel adapter, Nissan antenna adapter, and an amp wiring kit.

Honestly, if you are adding a new HU and an amp to power the front speakers, it isn't much more effort to install an amp that will power the entire system and add a sub to get rid of the Bose amp completely.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Gilley
You can install a new HU and an amp to power the front speakers and let the Bose amp power the rear. I haven't read about anyone else doing that but it can be done.

There may be others ways of doing it, but I would get the Metra Nissan harness with the two pairs of RCA cables for the Bose equipped cars. Coming from your new HU, run the rear RCA output cables to send the audio signal to the Bose amp and the front RCA outputs to send the signal, via new RCA cables, to your new amp.

Splice into the stock wire harness coming out of the Bose amp to sendthe speaker signal from the new amp to the front doors.

You will also need a PAC steering wheel adapter, Nissan antenna adapter, and an amp wiring kit.

Honestly, if you are adding a new HU and an amp to power the front speakers, it isn't much more effort to install an amp that will power the entire system and add a sub to get rid of the Bose amp completely.
Is it absolutely required that I use a PAC adapter for the steering wheel controls, or can I run an aftermarket radio without the steering wheel controls?

I have decided not power the rear speakers at all with the stock bose, I am just going to use front fill as I have done in all past installs.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kingrukus
Is it absolutely required that I use a PAC adapter for the steering wheel controls, or can I run an aftermarket radio without the steering wheel controls?
No one but PAC offers a steering wheel interface. You don't have to get a PAC unit, but without it, your steering wheel buttons will be dead.

Originally Posted by kingrukus
I have decided not power the rear speakers at all with the stock bose, I am just going to use front fill as I have done in all past installs.
So you're just going to run front speakers powered by the JL amp?

Old 05-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=Gilley]No one but PAC offers a steering wheel interface. You don't have to get a PAC unit, but without it, your steering wheel buttons will be dead.

I still don't understand the need for retaining the steering wheel controls. Are your arms that short where you can't reach your aftermarket HU's controls??? lol

The PAC unit (whichever model you choose) is cool to install and its great to volume up and down but can't you just s-t-r-e-t-c-h you right arm a teensy weensy farther to turn that **** on your HU????

doc

Old 05-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Gilley
No one but PAC offers a steering wheel interface. You don't have to get a PAC unit, but without it, your steering wheel buttons will be dead.

So you're just going to run front speakers powered by the JL amp?
I am also going to be running a seperate subwoofer amp and a subwoofer. I just realised that my current 10L7 vented enclosure will not fit in my trunk (the G coupe trunk is really shallow). This forces me to purchase a zed enclosure for 2 x 10" subs...I will just plop in a pair of Kicker Comp VR's for now once I get that enclosure.

I am confused as to how to wire up the front speakers. There is wire coming into the door, how do I know which color is positive and which is negative? Does anyone have the bose wire color schematic? Also are there any x-overs that I should be weary of? I do not want to go through any stock x-overs.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:17 PM
I just took a look at the FSM and figured out the colors of the wires in the bose system. IT doesn't appear that there are any off-board x-overs, and they may just be a simple capacitator attached to each speaker.

I am dreading taking apart the dash.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:23 PM
How the heck are you guys mounting aftermarket tweeters?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
I used a die grinder and modded the factory cover.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is required to wire an aftermarket headunit up? - wiring harness confusion