Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Modded Xbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modded Xbox

Anyone else use a modded Xbox for their installs? I would think this is the ideal for a car game system. I have a 120gig HD in my Xbox, and it can store up to 50 games. This allows installation in the trunk, and no need to swap disks....just extensions cables (or cordless adapters) for the controllers.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 04-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Re: Modded Xbox

I have a modded box too... 120gb and massive movies and games. I opted for Logitech wireless controllers...

It plays through my navigation screen with a AV Electronic tuner and through my new LCDs in the headrests.

Amazing system... Couldnt ask for more.

---------------------------------
Navi-Conversion Kits at Discounted Pricing
*Authorized AV Electronic Dealer*

2003.5 Desert Platinum Sedan
Premium, Navi, xBox

Old 04-20-2004, 12:03 AM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You Know it.......

Only Problem is that my Xbox is starting to take a crap on me. The damn chip gets loose all the time and I have to bang it around to get it to work. Plus the cd drive is not picking up DvD's all the time. Its so worth having the box modded in there that I might just get another one and put a better chip in it.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:18 AM

I am looking to mod my Xbox. Where did you guys get all of the stuff. I know pretty much all the componets I need, I just don't know where to get the evoX software. PM me or email me at gfrisard@hotmail.com.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:28 AM

Aight, so we got others with the xBox's. Good.

Anyone else have the same humming noise through the audio as I do? It seems that the power supply in the xbox (or maybe the power inverter) is causing it... Its pretty quiet, but it gets annoying if someone is watching a movie or something. Its always there....

I know its not an alternator whine, cause the noise is static, not dynamic with the car's engine speed. Any help would be appreciated...

As a side note, I love my headrest LCDs!

Premium, Navi, xBox

Old 04-20-2004, 12:00 PM

ikSardarG,
I picked up that ground isolater from Radio Shack and connected it between my xbox and avic brain, and it works. Maybe your old one isn't working properly? or maybe it's the av electronic.

I'm gonna meet with flex7825 tonight, will try to throw in my xbox with his av electronic box and see how it works out.

DP G35 coupe/ AT / Prem graphite / Sport / Titanium 19 tint / 5 wire hyper-ground kit / clear corners / hyper white clearance/ i-Pod mini silver
San Diego, CA

Old 04-20-2004, 12:26 PM

CTD,
Maybe your right. I would love to know how Flex's works out... Maybe I should get a new isolater anyways... Couldn't hurt I guess.

Anyhow - Let me know what you find out... Thanks alot!

Premium, Navi, xBox

Old 04-21-2004, 12:45 AM

Just got back from the SD meet. We threw the my xbox and ground isolator with the av electronic .... sorry man ... no go. To begin the av uses an FM modulator for the audio. There was this hissing/static noise in the background. Looks like the av box is the culprit.

DP G35 coupe/ AT / Prem graphite / Sport / Titanium 19 tint / 5 wire hyper-ground kit / clear corners / hyper white clearance/ i-Pod mini silver
San Diego, CA

Old 04-21-2004, 09:52 AM

Ok, so the source of the problem is the xBox actually. I tried a regular audio player (discman) and there was no hissing.

I spoke to AV Electronic last night about this problem as well. I was told to get a very high quality power inverter... One with a 'Pure Sine Wave".

Sam mentioned that he had the same problem with an xBox and the various tuners he has. He said to get a pure power signal, you need to pay a little more for the inverter. I am going to source the same now... I want my system as best as possible.

Premium, Navi, xBox

Old 04-21-2004, 09:38 PM

where do you guys put your xbox in car? I thought I could put it in the trunk and run the cord under the back seat(between the backpart and the bottom part) Problem that I have then is how can I turn the system on and off without reach back all the way trunk? PLZ tell me how and where put system. and also, where to get evoX software.which mod chip will make easier connection to my notebook and external hard-drive?

Old 04-22-2004, 10:32 AM

Here's a bunch of links that should help all you folks who are thinking about modding an Xbox. I recommend the Xecuter Lite solderless chip. While it still requires you to completely strip down your Xbox to install, it does not require soldering your motherboard. Go first to the Tech TV tutorials. That will give you a good overview of what you need to do. Xbox-Scene will supply you with the detailed tutorials you will need; among other thing which include a mod chip, Xbox ISO file creator program (like XISO), a good FTP transfer program (FXP is my choice), Cat 5 network hook up cable to link your Xbox to your PC (I went through one of my routers), a CD or DVD burner in your PC, burning software, (most of the tutorails I've seen focus on the full version of NERO), an ExoX bios to install on your chip, (there are several choices here as well), an Exo-X dashboard (seems like th most popular choice, but there are others), a file utility for the Xbox (I like Boxplorer), a media player so you can play DVD's on the Xbox, a dummy file creator, and a 120 gig HD that allows locking, AND a good amout of patience. OR pay someone about $400 for an already modded Xbox.

About turning the Xbox on and off remotely; it is easy to turn it off....you need simply put a switch in the power to the converter. But turning it on requires some sort of mod to the switch, as a Xbox does NOT power up when it gets 120 volts...you need to push the button. Tech TV did a mod where they used a garage door mini remote, and mounted it in the controller; you can seach for that mod on their show notes.

http://www.x-tronix.net/index.php

http://www.copying-xbox-games.com/ev...torial.php#hub

http://www.modchip.ca/

http://www.system-mods.com/index2.php

http://www.teamxecuter.com/

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/m...420925,00.html

http://www.x-b-o-x.net/modules/news/

http://xbox-hq.com/html/

http://www.xbox-scene.com/
http://www.evolutionx.info/

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 04-22-2004, 11:01 AM

You don't need a modchip to play burned games anymore. On x-box scene read about the font hack (you have to load a special copy of this james bond game) & yours will work just as good as a modded one. How the hack works is when your xbox boots up it has to load the xbox font, which in the hacked version is extremely large. This causes a buffer overflow which then bypasses the security so you can play burned games. The websites that strictly sell modchips won't tell you about this because just want you buy a chip from them.

Just so you know though, there are quite a few revisions to xbox's bios and hardware, so not all of them are the same. For instance, some read burned cd-r's, some don't. Some read dvd+r's, some don't. They all do read dvd-r's though... Just remember that when buying media for burned games.

Mine still has the default 10g hd in it, so I just have a bunch of cds, but all the emulation is on the drive. I would recommend upgrading the hd though, I'll get to that eventually.

-Nate

Old 04-22-2004, 03:34 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

best buy has a 120GB Western Digital 7200RPM w/ 8MB Cache hard drive for $80 after rebate!!!!!!!!!!

what a deal!

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake