Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AM/FM reception problems with Kenwood head unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
AM/FM reception problems with Kenwood head unit

Hi Guys,

I installed a Kenwood DNX5120 a few months ago, and my radio reception sucks; range is far worse than with the OEM radio. Stations which came in fine before are now a noisy mess. I used the Crutchfield antenna adapter to connect the antenna.

I'm out of my depth when it comes to car electronics, so where would you suggest that I start looking at tracking down this reception problem? Are there any connections that are especially critical to radio reception?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I bet you didn't connect the power antenna lead. Even though these cars don't have power antennas, there is an antenna booster that needs to be powered.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:03 PM
You're right, I didn't connect any power antenna leads. Where do I connect it to, though?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:15 PM
If you used a wire harness adapter, there will be a wire on the harness and a wire from your Kenwood. Connect them together.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks a million for your advice. I removed the head unit today to see what was going on, and I did indeed forget to solder together the antenna power lead. Now that it's done, the radio reception is great!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Glad it worked out.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Yup I did the same thing. I was already to get HD or Sirus lol I guess ill have to take it apart tomorrow. I saw the power att wire but just assumed that was for cars with antenna mast setups.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem too. I have the bose sound system in my g35 and after I installed my kenwood dnx5120 the am/fm sucked. If I follow the steps above will it work. Because some audio guy tells me there isn't much you can do because I have the "bose system."

Old 09-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Who are you going to believe, the people that have connected the power antenna wire and improved their radio reception or the installer that apparently doesn't know that it needs to be connected and blames your problem on the Bose system.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I believe you man all the way. I think the guy just wants my money. I had pros install it so could you again tell me how to exactly do it cuz im not to sure at all and I dont wanna mess anything up and all

Old 09-06-2008, 06:44 AM
It's simple. Have him connect the power antenna lead coming out of the Kenwood to the power antenna lead on the wire harness adapter, assuming he used one.

The G35 antenna has a powered amplifier that needs to be turned on. Even the non-Bose systems have the antenna amp, so the installer's statement that the static relates to the Bose system is not true.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put power to the harness antenna wire, and the FM is ok, but AM (which I really want) is 50% of what it was with the Non-Bose head unit. I can't figure it out. I hate not being able to listen to my AM radio.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Iagent
I put power to the harness antenna wire, and the FM is ok, but AM (which I really want) is 50% of what it was with the Non-Bose head unit. I can't figure it out. I hate not being able to listen to my AM radio.
What are you using to power the antenna? If you're using a new headunit's "remote" or "power antenna" signal wire, it's a SIGNAL wire and very likely doesn't have the power to actually power the antenna amp.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I thought that maybe the power for an extendable antenna might be short term, I used the power (hot)
wire for whenever the unit is on line, (hot when stereo is on). I really think I may need to check the power to the antenna at the booster, but I really don't know where it is. I will do whatever it takes, because I really like morning AM.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:42 PM
standard audio harness
kenwood Blue ANT wire 12V

Originally Posted by Gilley
I bet you didn't connect the power antenna lead. Even though these cars don't have power antennas, there is an antenna booster that needs to be powered.
how do i find the antenna booster to connect kenwood ant cable/blue, i guess there is no wire in the original harness ????? this is for reception problem and yes 12V on blue wire.thanks, mick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AM/FM reception problems with Kenwood head unit