Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

UPDATED - DoubleDIN conversion DIY guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
UPDATED - DoubleDIN conversion DIY guide

Hey everyone,

The revised and updated DIY guide is now posted over at g-owners.com.

http://www.g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=33

Now included are the tools needed, what v35 parts are needed and how to obtain them from J's Garage and more specs on the Scosche NN03 wiring harness and the Nissan Antenna Adapter.

docron1

Old 04-20-2004, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black 2004 G35 6MT, chrome wheels, black, still pristine
Re: UPDATED - DoubleDIN conversion DIY guide

In your added picture of the antenna adapter, I see the part that goes into the new HU, but it has only one "other" end. I just purchased one that took into consideration of the DUAL antenna system our car has. With yours, I guess you can only use one of the antenna that's embedded in your rear glass?? Just curious. I know the new stereo can't switch antennas like the stock system (based on the strongest signal), but would it then use both of them simultaneously if they are both hooked up using 2 inputs into the one slot of the HU??

--Bamadog

Old 04-20-2004, 09:13 PM

I only had one plug for the antenna to the stock deck????? I saw the other Dual Antenna Adapters but figured I didn't need it since I had only 1 plug to "adapt". It went in fine, there wasn't a second plug on my stock antenna plug to plug in.

I think the "dual" part are for other Nissan models or maybe if you have SAT or Navi. Anyone else know?

Thanks for catching that but I figured since my adapter went in w/o a hitch, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming you could also use the "dual" antenna adapter and use only 1 plug and it should still work.

Lets get more people who have had other 1995+ Nissan cars or G35's with SAT or NAVI to see if they have 2 antennas to "adapt". Interesting question though.....

Old 04-20-2004, 09:32 PM

excellend guy, would you recommend this to a beginner who has never done anything like this before? how long did it take you? and also how do you run your rca wires from the headunit into the trunk? that is what i need to learn how to do, i want to run them all the way down the center console back into the trunk, can you add a section in your guide that will show you how to do this, like remove the rear seat or going around them, etc?

Old 04-20-2004, 11:00 PM

You can do it. For me, I'm a newbie when it comes to installing car stereos. I don't do amps or speakers, but swapping out the dash, deck and running the RCAs I can do. Knowing what I've learned from this, I could probably do the amps and speakers on my next car.

It took me about total 4 hours to disassemble the dash, swap out the deck, swap out the DCC of the ACC from stock to v35 ACC, run the RCAs to trunk, run the 12V 12 gauge amp power cord to trunk and put dash back together.

I disassembled my dash like 4 nights in a row before my final install as I ran into problems and challenges here and there every night which I couldn't solve and didn't want to stay up to 3am every night trying to figure it out. I just put it back together stock when I couldn't figure something out or I was missing a part or something.

But now after practice and knowing by blindfold where all the screws are that needed to be removed, I can disassemble my dash in less than 15 minutes (kinda like NASCAR pit crew!)

I ran my RCAs from behind deck, next to MIDDLE driver-side AC vent, below steering wheel, under driver side kick plate, under driver door sill under carpet, under pillar B bottom plastic, next to back seat, behind back seat and into trunk.

The power wires are run on the passenger side opposite the driver side and RCA since the battery is on that side anyway.

I wanted the RCAs and power cables as far as possible apart so the interference noise would be minimal and non-existent. I suppose you could run the RCAs down the middle of the car and into the trunk but it would be that much closer to the power lines making alternator whine more riskier. BUt then again, if you have good braided and shielded RCAs, that should be less of a problem. If you run the RCAs down the driver side door sill, you don't have remove the backseats.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:46 PM

joe, excellent guide very thorough and in depth, this is a must have for any g35 owner! do you think you can make a guide to show us how to run rca and power cables into the trunk? I'm too scared to take anything apart, and the way the ran my power was down the drivers side, which is pretty stupid to me since the battery is on the opposite side, sigh... i would like to rewire my system, but dont know how to get to the wires, if you ever think of ever making a guide like that, that would be awesome... your instructions are so detailed, its makes me feel confident enough to try to install this on my own!

Old 04-21-2004, 03:02 AM

In an afterthought, I should've snapped some pix when I ran my RCAs and amp remote power wire from the back of the deck.

I'll snap some pix anyway to illustrate the path in which I laid them out though. Maybe that would help a little.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:52 AM

anything would be of help joe, so you didnt run the wires down the center console at all? they go to da left by the drivers side and down the door sill and to the trunk? and same goes for the power wire as well?

Old 04-21-2004, 05:11 PM

yes, i didn't feel like removing my seats and lifting up the carpet so it was much easier to run it down the driver side. Also, running the RCas that way also kept it as far away from the amp power cable as possible eliminating whine.