Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

PICS - G35 Coupe Adding AMPS & EQ BOSE DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 05:08 AM
G SQUAD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: PICS - G35 Coupe Adding AMPS & EQ BOSE DIY

Pic for above post

Lexus for my luxury and G35 Coupe for my speed. I must say...Life is not always a B!TCH

http://234857-Step 7_4 awg power to ...d disblock.jpg

Old 04-22-2004, 05:14 AM
G SQUAD

Next running +12V (power lines) you need 1 for the Cap, 1 for each amp....Now My set up is not remarkable its nice...but not pushing SILLY power....So i dont need extra batteries and stuff....I am running one 160W (RMS) x 4 amp and one 200W (RMS) x 1 amp......Total RMS (continuous power) of maybe 560Watts........Peak of maybe 750Watts.....So this is good for my power and maybe bit more......Just an FYI!

Lexus for my luxury and G35 Coupe for my speed. I must say...Life is not always a B!TCH

http://234859-Step 8_power from dis ... and 1 amp.jpg

Old 04-22-2004, 05:21 AM
G SQUAD

DUH I meant 360 Watts continuous (RMS)....anyways

Yes you will need you get a few maybe 4 8AWG eye hole connectors.....

Your basic tools I take it you have...If not
You will need good wire strippers ,cutters and crimpers,
flat and phillips(# 2) screw driver
metric rachets, a 12 volt test light, electrical tape (black tape)
18-22 AWG wire couplers, and 16-20 couplers,
some quick splicers would be nice too.
I think thats every this....and a Drill with some metal drilling bits....

anyways NExt Steps

http://234861-Step 10 Power mapped t...mp lay out.jpg

Old 04-22-2004, 05:27 AM
G SQUAD

Make sure you run those 8awg long enough so you can go through the same hole you came in the trunk with the 4 awg...its the easiest way to the backseat without wires being seen. run as many 8AWG from the distribution block as you need for as many AMPs you have I ran 2...I only showed one because it was basically the same thing twice

anyways continuing to build the "power station"

234863-Step 11 Gounding Cap and amp1.jpg

Old 04-22-2004, 05:33 AM
G SQUAD

OK now you should have a power wires run to your amps and One ground wire run from the Cap (-) to the body and one from the Cap (-) to one Amp....Now I just added a LLC so i can get the speaker levels from the Radio and turn them into RCA line levels so I can run it to my EQ that will break 2 channels into 4 channels and also a separate subwoofer output ...

.I chose to mount the LLC to the "power station" bracket for convenience...because the radio outputs were right ther also

234866-Step 12 Power ran added LLC.jpg

Old 04-22-2004, 05:37 AM
G SQUAD

Now that you have mapped where everything as far as your amps will go....BEFORE YOU GET TO SCREWING THINGS IN...please see that pic above.....

234867-Back of back seat cheap.jpg

Old 04-22-2004, 05:41 AM
G SQUAD

Dont get me wrong the pressed board will hold the amps but like i said dont try and get it super tight or it will strip the treads in the board quick....
Now all power lines are run and you got the Ground wires also going to where the AMPs are....now we connect them!

234869-Step 13 Power to both amps.jpg

Old 04-22-2004, 05:43 AM
G SQUAD

Now to Ground them I use the 8AWG wire to one amp then piggy back with an 8AWG to the next AMP....

234871-Step 14 Amps grounding.jpg

Old 04-22-2004, 05:48 AM
G SQUAD

with the amp Power and Grounds connected i added the EQ and the EQ doesnt need those thick 8 AWG wires that the AMPs do.....but need a good power and ground none the less....so I piggy back its +12V (Battery wire) to the best connected power and grounds in the car now (the AMPS)

the EQ is also slim so it clears when the seat is all the way back and doesnt hit even though its kind of off to the side..

234874-Step 14 Added EQ and connect pwr.jpg

Old 04-22-2004, 05:56 AM
G SQUAD

Now nothing will turn on because the "remote" aka accessory wire has not been run or connected...that is the wire that will light up the test light when you put the key in the car and put it in the ACC position ......it ensures the amps shut off when you turn the car off

But its 6AM now and I must edit those pics as well as the audio connections for tomorrow....I will begin posting them again in like another 9 hrs....STAY TUNED!!!!

I only ask that you NOT post REPLIES yet PLEASE so I can just finish the Posts....so everyone can just flow through it
So till later on....Next posts to be added is running the ACC wire, connection, BOSE audio diagram link, and audio wires

THANKS GUYS...I SHALL RETURN.....JUST HOLD OFF PLEASE FOR 9 HRS FROM today (APRIL 22cd - 6AM)

Old 04-22-2004, 06:04 AM
G SQUAD

Euro

Seems like you got to it b4 I pleaded for No posts till I'm done but its all good man...Happy to help.....you will see later in this that it isnt necessary to run them because everything is in the trunk all wires to access the radio speaker outs and speakers to the car....remote ACC wire also....

but PLEASE wait B4 you reply......PLEASE ...LOL
then POST away...LOL

I'm not trying to take over the thread ...I just wanted it str8 thru so people can get the most from it....Private Message me with anything tho ..feel free

Old 04-22-2004, 11:06 AM

This is an excellent thread and deserves a spot in the DIY section. A few notes I would like to point out though:

1) Your fuse should be placed as close to the battery as possible. (a short between your fuse and battery could potentially be very dangerous.)
2) The ground to your amps is a bit longer then it really should be. (about 1.5 feet is really the longest ground you want to use)

Please dont take my comments as a burn. I think you have done a remarkable job and really appreciate the fact that you took the time to take pictures and make these extremely valuable detailed notes for everyone. Good job.

"I'm not saying you're full of BS, per se" - Zimbo

-JustICE

Old 04-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Good post NYC. Just a few suggestions based on my DIY creation limited experience.

1. Put as little text on the picture as possible. Arrows with simple directions text is ok. Otherwise, the picture will tend to get cluttered. Put your instructional text in the post itself.

2. Use thin bordered colored circles or short arrows to identify the part or location you are describing. Long arrows tend to clutter the picture.

Other than that, great stuff. You should email Matt over at g-owners.com admin with your text instructions and pictures. He can generate a DIY and post it over there in an HTML format thats easy to read...he did mine.

My install crew ran may power lines down the passenger side since the battery was on that side anyway. I don't know where they entered the cabin with the power wire.

Couple questions/comments:

1. Are you planning on running RCAs down the passenger side since your power cables are down the driver side?

2. Your fuse block should be closer to the battery rather than in the trunk as justICE suggested. Mine is about 6 inches from the battery terminal in the battery bay.

3. Ground should be shorter, that will decrease your chance for interference noise and whine.

Good work!

docron1

Old 04-22-2004, 04:50 PM
G SQUAD

THanks for the INPUT fellas . YOU know you are right ...DUH damn I didnt think of the fuse thing...It should be closer to the battery..in case of a short..

The ground is a 1.5 ft Run. If you look at the pic I grounded the CAP to the body only about 15INches away and then grounded the AMPs to that....

You will get alternator whine anyway....even with the short ground...Being that my cables are already ran ....I'm going to add another Fuse close to the batteryto avoid the Hassle ....BUT GREAT point....I love knowledge!!

ANYWAY...the arrows and typing I was just doing to save time on the post....but maybe you are right...

Next step though would be running the "remote" or Acc wire..and here is the pic

235365-Step 15 Tapping into ACC wire.jpg

Old 04-22-2004, 05:01 PM
G SQUAD

SORRY ABOUT THIS.....MORE EXPERIENCED G OWNERS TOLD ME ABOUT MY BRAIN FART..

PLEASE SEE PIC FOR CORRECT FUSE HOLDER PLACEMENT....FUSE SHOULD BE MOUNTED UNDER THE HOOD CLOSER TO THE BATT IN CASE OF SHORT

Hey but this doesn't mean I'm stupid....LOL

The rest of this is pretty much on point

235379-correct fuse location.jpg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PICS - G35 Coupe Adding AMPS & EQ BOSE DIY