Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

PICS - G35 Coupe Adding AMPS & EQ BOSE DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: PICS - G35 Coupe Adding AMPS & EQ BOSE DIY

Excellent documentation NYCG35, saved me alot of wondering wherte to run my power wire. However....... Just a heads-up to anyone that wants to route the power wire this way. I did it with a mere 10 gauge wire and it's a nightmare getting thru that grommet. Scraped knuckes aplenty! Be prepared for a struggle and some contortions!!! I did the double-din conversion myself, so it's not like I'm a total wuss.... I really didn't find any other way to run the power wire, so I'm not criticizing this method, just letting you all know.

Old 05-01-2004, 03:39 PM
G SQUAD

Shortchaz,
The remote wire is a Grey and with silver dots....maybe they describe it as G/W for grey / white....that is the only wire that lights the test light when the key is in the "ON" position...So that is the correct wire remote wire.

also DJ robx,
I agree that I should try different things..and I plan on doing that.. The RCA's being where they are isnt the issue though....for one I've moved the amps around, and second I mean the RCA's are connected to the AMP so how far can they possibly get away from the power wires....

I will keep searching though and update you guys....together we'll crack this!

Lexus for my luxury and G35 Coupe for my speed. I must say...Life is not always a B!TCH

Old 05-01-2004, 03:45 PM
G SQUAD

Yeah its true about the power wire run...thats why I said I drilled out a 3/8 inch hole first.....with a 10AWG i dont see how you had to go thru a lot of fuss....unless you just poked a hole or something???

That grommet is thick and you cant just poke a hole through it and force a wire in....you gotta open it up....hence the 3/8 or 1/2 inch hole....
the other side of it in the car is open, so once you get through its a piece of cake and you gotta go from the inside out..

Yet again true , if you have large hands you will have trouble in that tight spot....

Lexus for my luxury and G35 Coupe for my speed. I must say...Life is not always a B!TCH

Old 05-01-2004, 11:40 PM
G SQUAD

Correction: I meant to say you gotta run the wire from the OUTSIDE to INSIDE the car...not vise versa

Old 05-01-2004, 11:56 PM

will i be able to fit a 2guage power wire in this factory location from the factory grommet behind the battery? Or do i have to drill the hole bigger?, can someone please post a pic of the exact location?

are there already wires running thru this factory grommet or no? and do you guys recommend i seal it with silicone? or can i simply just stick the factory grommet back in there to seal it back in place? silicone is that white rubbery stuff right?

Old 05-03-2004, 01:38 AM
G SQUAD

The area we are refering to is in my first pic in the install...Its not behind the battery...check the pic.
Yes there are wires in it already...and yes you can fit a 2 gauge through it...and yes you would have to drill out a larger hole.....with 2 gauge it going to be a biatch!! to get thru
but you can do it.

If you are running 2 gauge it WILL NOT fit under the door sills!
and that is a hell of a wire....you must be putting in some serious SH**.

Cause truth be told I could have used 8 gauge for my main power wire...but chose 4 AWG just incase I want to upgrade later.

Old 05-04-2004, 12:32 PM

Very sweet Vance. I'm going to have to do that...on a sunny day! LOL

Old 05-04-2004, 04:52 PM

I have that V-power amp in my Camry (drive it when the conditions outside are anything but perfect). I use it to run Alpine Type S 6.5" front coxials and 6x9" rear coxials. Along with the Alpine head unit, my Camry gives me better sound than my "premium" Bose sound system.

Good install, great DIY.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:36 AM
G SQUAD

yeah the Alpines really lit up my stock premium Bose system....
I gotta admit that the Bose 6.5" front and rear do handle well...they dont break up quickly...they have to be pushed...

I mean, I dont install systems that entertain the neighborhood so for the 40Watts RMS that I push thru them....they respond well...I was actually surprised at how well they take it..

Old 05-05-2004, 01:43 AM
G SQUAD

Hey Kev (Frosty),

There is no need for sun....LOL
U see my style man...I'm like the post office (Neither Rain, nor snow, nor sleet or hail, nothing will stop the US mail)

I'm nuts man, Its gotta be like a hurricane to stop me from workin on my rides.....LOL....
I'm changin my front speaker capacitors next ....the ones for the tweets

Old 05-06-2004, 10:56 PM

Just to clear up a few things for those who are wondering...

A 1/0 gage wire WILL fit along the door sills and will fit through the grommet directly behind the battery (remove the water gutter above the battery to access this).

My wife actually ran the 1/0 wire to the trunk and she said it was easy.

With "whining", if you can't get rid of it with everything people have said here, try grounding EVERYTHING in the system to the exact same point.

I will finish all the wiring tomorrow and get some sound out of this thing. I will fill you in on ground locations and such.

J.

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Volk GT-7's/ TEIN Basics
Falken 245/35/ZR19 & 285/35ZR19
Kinetix Racing Camber Rods/ K&N Typhoon CAI

Old 05-07-2004, 02:52 AM
G SQUAD

a 1/0 gauge wire under the coupe door sills....??
You will have to post a pic on that one....I had to modify my door sill to get the 4AWG under it and have it sit flush against the carpet.....

I could not image a 2AWG or lower fitting under the sills with no problem....

I gotta see a pic of that...

cause unless you modified the door sill...I dont know how you (or your wife) did that??....

I'm not saying you are full of it....but I saw the sill and ran my wire and the 4AWG had the sill not sitting back on the carpet flush...

so a 1/0..hmmmm???

Old 05-07-2004, 12:59 PM

i was able to run a 2 guage wire from the factory grommet behind the battery down my kick panels and down the door side, not the door sills, you run it down the slit, it has enuff room for a bunch of wires, i dont know why you guys are running it under the door sill, thats gonna be no room there for thick wires... so it where you take the carpet apart and under that you have so much room to work with...

you need to poke a hole in the factory rubber grommet in order to slide the 2 guage thru...

Old 05-07-2004, 05:07 PM

Maybe our terminology is a bit different...

But I do assure you I an not full of BS.

Here is what I am taling about, maybe not the "sill" in your discription.

On the passanger side of the car, pop the plastic trim piece up that goes over the edge of the carpet at the door sill area.

The carpet is held on by little white tabs, pop the carpet off these tabs. Look down... there is enough room for two 1/0 gage wires down there.

This is the only place you should be running your wires anyway.

People who know me know I don't make stories up. I know I do not post alot on these stereo pages, but that is because I just started my install. Been working on the suspension and such. I have some experience but I am not a pro, but I do know most of the tricks and lots of ins and outs. Bottomline, I will either say " I don't know" or give you a truthful answer.

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Volk GT-7's/ TEIN Basics
Falken 245/35/ZR19 & 285/35ZR19
Kinetix Racing Camber Rods/ K&N Typhoon CAI

Old 05-07-2004, 05:11 PM
G SQUAD

Euro,

I said in my post above yours, that a 2 gauge wouldnt fit under the door sills...

Try to follow what Orljmh said and pop out the plastic holding in the door sill and look under the carpet there. He says there is much room there. I personally didn't do that though, so take a look at his post.

ORLJMH, I think we just got mixed up between you and I what "under the door sill" meant.....Technically we are both right....you just ran more under the carpet - under the door sill,
I ran it under the door sill itself (the plastic peice)

EURO,
If you want me to post pics of what I did to make the 4AWG fit under the door sill I'll post
(I grinded the plastic supports under the sill so the wire could fit there)...So the sill rests on the bracket clips holding it and the rest sits on the 4AWG...(and I dont step on the door sill anyways, but the housing of the 4AWG is thick enough to take it if I did)
ORLJMH's way sounds easier than mine with no grinding down plastic..but I just wanted easier access to my wire.

Lexus for my luxury and G35 Coupe for my speed. I must say...Life is not always a B!TCH<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by NYCG35 on 05/07/04 02:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PICS - G35 Coupe Adding AMPS & EQ BOSE DIY