Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

**** You Bose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:47 PM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by requiem716
I actually work for bose...

from my understanding of how our home systems work, Gilley is right. The EQ is actually at the amp level. There is no EQ done in the head units for out home theater systems, it's all in the subwoofers.

I'm assuming the car setups are the same

and for the record...i test drove a G with the bose system and bought one without it because i knew i was just going to rip it all out anyways.

and ACR - **** you too!

From what I've read, the head units in the non-BOSE G's actually have the same equalization that is performed in the BOSE amp. So at least in the BOSE G's one is able to tap into a relatively flat signal before the BOSE amp. I considered a G without BOSE but the premium package was a must for me. There are enough good features in the premium package for me to put up with the BOSE stereo.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:49 PM
acr
Originally Posted by Metalp3n
Hmm im running a single 12" RF P3 powered by an RF amp, connected to my rear speakers on my 2003 Bose G35 Sedan, with a noise filter, and a high/low convertor, splicing into the wires BEFORE the BOSE Amp, and the setup works beautifully. I keep my stock BOSE HU with bass set at -5 normally, and use my external bass control on the amp to lower and increase the bass. Everything works great.

The first time i connected the system the sub sounded very low, and only got loud at top volume, so i increased the gain, adjusted the frequency a bit, and put the HU setting for bass to -5, and everything worked great.
I may just try using an LOC instead of the JL Audio splice I'm using now. The sub volume is not only low, the frequency response is just ****ed up. I can't hear the low bass frequencies, and everything sounds muddy. I'm going to check all my connections, and if everything is OK, I will switch to an LOC.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:52 PM
acr
Originally Posted by donpisto
I'd rather get this...allows you to do much more down the line.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...0&i=500PXEH650
I have an Alpine MRP-M850 amp, whose manual does not specify if it accepts differential balanced signals or not. I called Alpine and asked them if it does. The "tech" I spoke to clearly did not know what he was talking about, and said it accepts a balanced but not a differential balanced signal. I don't know what I'm talking about either, so little useful info was gleaned from the 10 minute wait time. Anyway, the guy did suggest that Alpine unit. It's a nice unit but overkill for just a subwoofer amplifier. If I was going with a multi-amp set up, i would go with that but $400 just to run a subwoofer amplifier is excessive.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by acr
I have an Alpine MRP-M850 amp, whose manual does not specify if it accepts differential balanced signals or not. I called Alpine and asked them if it does. The "tech" I spoke to clearly did not know what he was talking about, and said it accepts a balanced but not a differential balanced signal. I don't know what I'm talking about either, so little useful info was gleaned from the 10 minute wait time. Anyway, the guy did suggest that Alpine unit. It's a nice unit but overkill for just a subwoofer amplifier. If I was going with a multi-amp set up, i would go with that but $400 just to run a subwoofer amplifier is excessive.
If you plan to run after market speakers with amps on them (I would recommend putting amps on any aftermarket speakers), then it would be a good choice, but for the sub alone, then you're right, there wouldn't be much of a use for it. Some of those Alpine techs contradict each other. Their service is great, but there are some that know a bit more than others. I'd give a call back and ask another one of their techs. I've had to do that once or twice and it helped.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The head units for both the Bose and non-Bose systems are made by Clarion. Both are supposed to have a flat signal coming out of the HU.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might it be because the audio signal is balanced and your input is unbalanced? An audiocontrol preamp might make your sound 100% better.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilley
The head units for both the Bose and non-Bose systems are made by Clarion. Both are supposed to have a flat signal coming out of the HU.
I confirmed that the signal coming out from the head unit is flat. I measured this with an Audio Control RTA.
As to the original problem, have you tried to reverse the polarity of one of your input channels? If your input signal is out of phase, that may be the cause of your bad sound.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roots4x
Might it be because the audio signal is balanced and your input is unbalanced? An audiocontrol preamp might make your sound 100% better.
The signal from the factory head unit is balanced. If you want a really good OEM interface use a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.1 or .2

Old 07-03-2008, 12:09 AM
acr
I finally got a hold of a service manual to check my connections, and my connections on the left channel were reversed in polarity. I don't remember where I originally read which wires to splice into, but I made a thread listing the proper wire colors. Hopefully this will prevent others from having similar problems. Once I changed the polarity on the splice, everything sounded normal. Now I just have to tune the amp to my liking.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by topgun_g35
I confirmed that the signal coming out from the head unit is flat. I measured this with an Audio Control RTA.

Originally Posted by topgun_g35
The signal from the factory head unit is balanced.
Thank you for confirming this again.