Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Audio Settings, EQ, Frequencies?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Settings, EQ, Frequencies?

So got this N3 and it definitly has more capabilites than OEM. Thing is I'm not savvy at all with these settings.

First off, should I put it all at a lower frequency, say 40-80, or 125+
Keep in mind I (guest) watch movies or listen to rap/old school music. Want some base more just clarity.
Should I set the sub(stock) to reverse or normal?

What else should I know, try to do some research but it makes nooooooo sense to me.

Let me know thanks.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:26 PM
bump for some info

Old 07-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what do you mean pull it at a lower freq? I think you mean your lowpass filter in which case you want to set that depending on what your sub can handle and what your speakers can handle. If you have stocke speakers, 125 might be a better setting.

As for the reverse or normal, those or polarity settings. If you wired everything perfectly, techinically you should set it to normal, but it just depends on if the subwoofer polarity is reversed from the rest of your sound system. It shouldn't matter either way, it's just a way to match your sub to the rest of your speakers so there won't be sound cancellation. Try one way then the other. If the bass sounds quieter with one, go with the other.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 PM
WOW

set it to 125, noticeable difference, thanks man.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:55 PM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of filter you're setting to 125, but if it's the low pass filter, I'd set it at 80 or 100.
Reverse or Normal refers to if your subwoofers are facing towards the front (normal) or rear (reverse) of your vehicle. The other poster posted incorrect info. This will produce the same sound either way, but the sound is very slightly delayed with the Reverse setting because the sound must bounce off the back of your trunk to the front of the car.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:59 PM
will try that out, as far as what filter I'm using, a bit confused by that.

I'm just using the stock LPF, I have the option to turn it on/off.

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:02 PM
acr
The low pass filter limits what frequencies go to your subwoofer. So if it's set at 125hz, only frequencies below 125hz will be sent to the sub. Most subs aren't really meant to be played up at those frequencies, I find it gives me a head ache. I would set the LPF to 80hz and see how it sounds.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:52 PM
will do and will report results

Old 07-04-2008, 10:35 PM
reverse/normal refers to polarity, not which direction your subwoofer is facing, LOL. That is ridiculous dude, ha ha. So ACR, what if your subwoofer is facing sideways, do you set it to just between reverse and normal? Not meaning to rip on you dude, I just take offense that you say I don't know what I'm talking about before you do any actual research, because you clearly don't know what the polarity setting even is.

And the low pass filter needs to be adjusted to what your speakers can handle. Acr, there is a reason why there are higher settings available and those are usually for stock speakers because they have less dynamic range than a higher quality aftermarket or home theater speaker would have.

A typical home theater speaker will usally go down to about 60Hz-80Hz and a full range home speaker can go to at least 40Hz. Now, the frequency response of speaker isn't flat so even if a speaker is rated to go down to say 80hz, that doesn't mean 80hz frequencies will be reproduced at the same volume as a mid-frequency. Lots of factory speakers can only go down to about 80Hz-100Hz which is why you'd want a crossover frequency of about 125Hz. Now because this is an Infiniti, it's not quite as bad so a lower crossover freq may do, but it depends on your preference. Bottom line is, I suggested the 125 lpf because you have the stock bose speakers and those have limited range. If you like it, keep it. If not, change it until you like it.

Last edited by roots4x; 07-04-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:45 AM
acr
I think we're referring to the same thing. On Pioneer AVIC HUs, reverse/normal adjusts the phase of the subwoofer by 180 degrees. When the sub is facing backwards, the sound wave starts slightly earlier to compensate for the sub sounding out of phase

Old 07-05-2008, 11:04 AM
in some situations that may be true, but you relaly just have to adjust the phase according to the sound. It's all about what sounds good to you. The reason that setting is there is becuase sound waves are waves, and if one of two identical waves is flipped (reveresed polarity/phase) then they will cancel each other out. This is not the same thing as adding a delay, the sound is actually produced by push/pull of the speaker instead of pull/push. Neither is wrong, they just both need to be in the same direction. So the only issue you may hear is noice cancellation in theory. In most car audio setups, this doesn't turn out to be problem. ACR, sorry to be a dick last night I was kinda tipsy.