Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

tapping into the cig lighter for garmin gps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tapping into the cig lighter for garmin gps

hey all, So I want to install my garmin GPS in the NAVI cubby like most here, and I want to run the power wiring into the cig lighter near the ashtray in front of the shifter. I have searched and found that you can tap into the back of it to keep the wiring all internal. my question is, does anyone have pics of how to do this? how can I access it and can plug in my gps power plug to the cig lighter power supply from the inside? pics would be wonderful if anyone has got em from their install(s). thanks in advance.
~Jeff

Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Follow the instructions concerning installing a DD HU to gain access to the back of the cigarette lighter and the bottom of the pocket.

It might be easier to remove the side console panel, drill a small hole in the bottom corner of the pocket, fish a power wire through the hole and tap into the fuse panel to a switched fuse.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's fairly easy to get to the back of the cigarette lighter. It's the green wire. Just make sure to use a good tap and to give enough slack because otherwise the cigarette try will fold out very slowly.

I have an 07 also. The hardest thing to remove without doing any type of deformation is the shift console panel. You'll need to remove the shifter by lowering the boot by hand and taking out the U pin by pulling forward towards the radio. take off the shifter (remember to keep it in neutral). Next, I would suggest you use plastic panel poppers to get the aluminum panel out. Use a wide and thin/sharp edged tool (made of plastic) and slide it under the back edge of the panel. The two clips are on the left and ride side and the other clips come out easily.

After that, it's pretty self explanatory. Just tap the green wire and make sure to leave enough slack so your cigarette lighter tray can go up and down easily.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
I would cut the the male cig lighter plug off of your power cord and tap in behind.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Remember... The + from the cig lighter is the black wire running to the bottom... the ground is the other black wire running to the top of the cig lighter... there are only 2 wires attached to it and they run back to a 3 wire harness (in which 2 are black and one is red)... good ol voltmeters

Old 07-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah actually I'm not sure if it's green anymore, but you can figure it out. The center connector on the cig lighter is +12V and the sleeve is the reference voltage.

I wouldn't suggest cutting the power cord on the power adapter for the GPS. All you have to do is solder some wire on the connectors or buy a spare 12V sleeve from any auto parts store. That way you can re-use it if you need it.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excellent guys, thanx for the help. after i finish getting my car detailed and waxed on thursday/wednesday night i will go ahead and do the GPS install. this will be my first mod. i'll post pics within the next few days of the Install.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verilath,

How did it go installing your GPS? Any pics?