Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Alpine PDX-4.100 for all 6 speakers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally decided on my system components which are:

Kenwood DNX8120 + Sirius + PAC + iPod (installed)
Infinity Kappa components for fronts + Dynamat 2 door kit (installed)
Diamond Audio M391I 150W 2-way 6x9” for rear
Alpine PDX-4.100 Amp
Alpine PDX-1.600 Amp for sub
JL Audio 10W3v3 Sub
Z-Enclosure Single 10" Sub (with the offset for amp placement)

I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to get some 6.5" to replace the stock sides and try to power the 6x9's AND 6.5" with 2 of the 100W channels from the Alpine PDX-4.100. I know that several people have decided not to run rears at all, but I often have rear passengers and I kind of like the rear fill. Do you think the PDX would run 2 sets off 1 channel OK, or do you think I'd be better off just running the 6x9's in the rear and shutting off the 6.5's? I've got everything in hand except the possible 6.5's and have my install scheduled for next week.

BTW, I love the sound of the Kappa components even though they're running off the stock bose amp, however I can tell they are way underpowered with the distortion at higher volumes.

Chad

Last edited by chadcham; 08-01-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 07-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't install 6.5s in the rear side panels AND 6x9s in the rear deck. Do one or the other. The 6x9's in the Bose system are only for bass, which is why they are there. I removed my 6x9s to allow more bass into the cabin. Doing it over, I wouldnt' have installed any rear speakers.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:56 PM
I'll be removing the stock bose amplifier, so I'll be able to get full range out of the rear 6x9's at least, but I've been leaning the way you recommended (just using the 6x9's with no 6.5" rears). I was just wondering if anyone had gotten chance to listen to some good aftermarket systems to find out if having the rear 6.5" added any 'depth' to the sound.

And if anyone has any other recommendations for the setup I'm about to put in, please throw those out there. I've got a few more days before the rest of mine goes in, and I'll take some pics once it's done to share.

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would recommend either the 6x9s or the 6.5s in the rear, not both. Or do neither and only have a front stage.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:34 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilley
I would recommend either the 6x9s or the 6.5s in the rear, not both. Or do neither and only have a front stage.
FTW . Honestly, two mids and two tweeters total is plenty if you have the right ones.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 PM
After reading some of the posts from the past (plus recommendations above), I'm going to just use 6.5" in the sides and use the Diamond Audio 6x9's for another car. So I've got one last question: I've got 4-Ohm (or so the front of the box says) Infinity Kappa 60.7cs components in the front and I wanted to keep Infinity Kappa coaxials in the back for the 6.5's if possible, but all the ones I find are 2-Ohm. Would it cause any problem to run the 2-Ohm 6.5 Kappa coaxials on the same amp as the 4-Ohm fronts? The Alpine PDX-4.100 is rated for the same output at both 4 and 2 Ohms, but I'm not sure if it would change the balance of volume coming out of the fronts/rears.

If there's a possibility of an impact to sound, does anyone have any recommendations for 6.5 coaxials that would compliment the Kappa components in front? One reason I'm adding the 6.5's now, is because if I think the fronts sound better alone, I can just disconnect the 6.5's without taking the car apart again.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm a little confused, are you going to be running two 2 ohm speakers and two 4 ohm speakers? If you have four speakers in total, then you will be fine. As long as each speaker is on its own channel it will not make a difference in sound.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by donpisto
I'm a little confused, are you going to be running two 2 ohm speakers and two 4 ohm speakers? If you have four speakers in total, then you will be fine. As long as each speaker is on its own channel it will not make a difference in sound.
As long as there are no problems, I'll be running Infinity Kappa Components up front (which the box stated they were 4 Ohms) and Infinity Kappa 6.5 Coaxials in back (which all appear to be 2 Ohms).

Old 07-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Ah, components in the front. If you plan to use the passive crossovers they come with I'd recommend having each on their own channel. I haven't had much experience with passive crossovers, I've always used active ones. What you might be able to do is put the coaxials and mids on the same channels and the tweeters on their own.

I would probably run the components on the amp and run the coaxials off the head unit since they will pull the stage away from the front. The rears are more for fill, basically for people in the back...even then people in the front can hear well without speakers in the back.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by donpisto
Ah, components in the front. If you plan to use the passive crossovers they come with I'd recommend having each on their own channel. I haven't had much experience with passive crossovers, I've always used active ones. What you might be able to do is put the coaxials and mids on the same channels and the tweeters on their own.

I would probably run the components on the amp and run the coaxials off the head unit since they will pull the stage away from the front. The rears are more for fill, basically for people in the back...even then people in the front can hear well without speakers in the back.
Thanks for the reply, I hadn't thought about going either of those routes. And I didn't think that the components could handle 100W for each component (mid & tweet), but I've heard they are power hungry. The rear is honestly primarily for my 2yr old so he can watch his DVD's on the LCD, in which case I move the balance directly to the back channel (and for you safety police - I can assure you that there is no risk of driver distraction from the Wiggles, Elmo, and the Wonder Pets playing on the DVD ).

Old 07-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by chadcham
Thanks for the reply, I hadn't thought about going either of those routes. And I didn't think that the components could handle 100W for each component (mid & tweet), but I've heard they are power hungry. The rear is honestly primarily for my 2yr old so he can watch his DVD's on the LCD, in which case I move the balance directly to the back channel (and for you safety police - I can assure you that there is no risk of driver distraction from the Wiggles, Elmo, and the Wonder Pets playing on the DVD ).
Lol. I thought the same when I had an SNES in my Accord. My cousin and brother would play Clayfighter and I got distracted

Anyhow, I think rear speakers off the HU would be just fine. As for the speakers on the amp, you can always keep the gains low. I used to have the 4.150 and I had Zapco CK-16.2's on them and boy, I had the gains down and they got plenty loud. But I don't think you would have much to worry about...I was also going with an active setup so it did require less power. From my understanding, passives require more power (basically what is stated as the power handling by the manufacturer).

Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM
The Kappas run 2 ohm, according to the documentation IN the box. The box does have a 4 ohm check, so it should be compat w/ 4 ohm amps. I'm running m Kappas with the same setup... I know too many speakers in the back,but still driving them for now off the stock Bose amp... sounds ton better. Will get the amp (considering the Alpine PDX 5 to keep it simple and small, I think it can fit where the Bose amp is now) and sub later and decommission the 6.5s on the side.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Finished Install - PDX-4.100/6.100/JL 10v3

I used the input that each of you gave, and nixed the 6x9's, and I got some 6.5's for rear fill. I've attached some pics of the install with all the components. The system sounds awesome. I couldn't be happier with it!

BTW, I had earlier stated that I was going to use a ZEnclosures box (which was already purchased), but I got talked into a custom enclosure by the shop that was installing it, so I've got that brand new ZEnclosure for sale in the classifieds: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post3292530

My final list of installed items:

Kenwood DNX8120 + Sirius + PAC + iPod
Infinity Kappa components for fronts
Diamond Audio D661i 6.5" components for rear
Alpine PDX-4.100 Amp
Alpine PDX-1.600 Amp for sub
JL Audio 10W3v3 Sub
Custom Enclosure with amp rack
Dynamat in doors, entire trunk, rear seats/sides/deck

Attached Thumbnails Alpine PDX-4.100 for all 6 speakers?-img_0155-small-.jpg   Alpine PDX-4.100 for all 6 speakers?-img_0140-small-.jpg   Alpine PDX-4.100 for all 6 speakers?-img_0157-small-.jpg   Alpine PDX-4.100 for all 6 speakers?-img_0156_2-small-.jpg   Alpine PDX-4.100 for all 6 speakers?-img_0159-small-.jpg  

Last edited by chadcham; 08-01-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Updated