Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Kenwood DNX8120

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bence8810
Hi,

I finally gathered all parts, just like the it is mentioned on the first page. I got the Double Din kit, the HU, iPod cables, antenna adapter, wire harnesses and a backup camera. I left the steering wheel controls out for now. As i have been reading, it has the delay and I am not sure its worthed. Plus the HU should quiet the volume down on an incoming phonecall, so there is really no need to control it for me. This is of course a personal opinion.

I will do the installation at the beginning of next week, and I am wondering if anyone has a DIY tutorial of the install? I have read the generic ones, but I am curious if there is anything specific for the DNX8120.

Will I just be able to mount the unit with the already existing screws? What tools do I need for the process?

Anything could help,

Thanks

Ben
Dont forget the antenna booster wire like I did and you also need to fill the tiny gap around the unit so you cant see inside

. There is a sticky with step by step pics of disassembly.

Yes you can use the factory holes.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
once you tear into the car this will all be easier to see, trust me.

The GPS will go where the clock mount is now

the parking brake wire is to ensure that you do not watch movies while you drive. If you ground this wire that will be bypassed
I don't want to sound like a retard, but I still don't get the GPS antennas location. It is at the clock mount but under the dash cover (hidden) or on top of the dash (visible) ?

I see about the Park brake, very handy info thanks.

Cheers,

Ben

Old 12-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Mines in the rear deck and is visible.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by naughty240
Dont forget the antenna booster wire like I did and you also need to fill the tiny gap around the unit so you cant see inside

. There is a sticky with step by step pics of disassembly.

Yes you can use the factory holes.
Thanks that makes my life easier if I dont have to drill etc.

Which sticky are you referring to? I only saw the 03'-04' models DIY tutorial and for 05' an iPod integration with stock HU.

Ben

Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
can someone post a DIY install of this specific HU. i wanna buy it but i dont have install money after! hahaha

Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dranom
can someone post a DIY install of this specific HU. i wanna buy it but i dont have install money after! hahaha

its the same as any other DIY double din for this car.

some of you guys are making it seem harder than it is

find a DIY for a double din with nav, they are all the same.

Only thing you have to do diffrantly is run the wire for the bluetooth mic

Old 12-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
its the same as any other DIY double din for this car.

some of you guys are making it seem harder than it is

find a DIY for a double din with nav, they are all the same.

Only thing you have to do diffrantly is run the wire for the bluetooth mic
^+1

I installed the DDX812 (same as the 8120 w/o the navi) myself including running new speaker wires, a sub, amps, bluetooth, and the remote steering controls using the different DIY's and member threads here on the forums. It was the first time I did a stereo install but a little research here helped me through it. It's more time comsuming than anything.

If there's anything specific about the install or pictures you need... let me know. I took a bunch when I had the G stripped down. If not, Im pretty sure someone here can help! Goodluck!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:23 PM
cool! how about the tools? do i need special tools to take out the dash?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dranom
cool! how about the tools? do i need special tools to take out the dash?
Nope!! just follow docron1's DIY on the dash removal.. no special tools.. the only hard part is removing the clock bezel for the very first time.. what a PITA I remember throwing alot of F' bombs and $hiet on that part of the removal!!

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...diy-guide.html

Are you planning just to install the DD and keep the stock speakers? or you gutting the entire stock system?!?

Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Hi,

I have a '05 so that tutorial wont work for me. I will do the job in a couple of days, and the only tutorial I found was for a 05 dash removal and iPod installation.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...irius-sat.html

But from the dash's removal to the HU swap, can I just follow the '04 tutorial?

Thanks,

Ben

Old 12-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by johnjohn077
Nope!! just follow docron1's DIY on the dash removal.. no special tools.. the only hard part is removing the clock bezel for the very first time.. what a PITA I remember throwing alot of F' bombs and $hiet on that part of the removal!!

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...diy-guide.html

Are you planning just to install the DD and keep the stock speakers? or you gutting the entire stock system?!?
yeah im planning to just do the HU for now. coz if i hook up new speakers then i would need amps to power it up

Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Sorry for the delayed response...but anyway, i mounted my mic in between the steering wheel console and the center consoles, down low pointed up. One..its almost invisible and two, voice quality is MUCH better that the OEM.

I used the existing RCA infrastructure of the bose amp, however I do think I will be running my own quad rca set to the kenwood, i just dont trust the splicing and soldering I had to perform in the rear to my other amps. And it's already tight behind that kenwood, if you havent found out yet you will. But it's ALL worth it..

rambling over!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by technik
Sorry for the delayed response...but anyway, i mounted my mic in between the steering wheel console and the center consoles, down low pointed up. One..its almost invisible and two, voice quality is MUCH better that the OEM.

I used the existing RCA infrastructure of the bose amp, however I do think I will be running my own quad rca set to the kenwood, i just dont trust the splicing and soldering I had to perform in the rear to my other amps. And it's already tight behind that kenwood, if you havent found out yet you will. But it's ALL worth it..

rambling over!
any pics?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Here are some quick pics of mic, itouch, that I just snapped. Dont have too many pics f the actual install, except maybe some raw pics of metal from the gutting of the rear section. I'll post some pics of the amps and subs as well. I replaced all the stock 6.5's with focals, and ripped the BOSE 6x9's out of the rear deck (what a pain to get to!!)

Attached Thumbnails Kenwood DNX8120-img_0893.jpg   Kenwood DNX8120-img_0896.jpg   Kenwood DNX8120-img_0895-test.jpg  
Old 12-08-2008, 04:43 PM
pics of subs and amps

here are some pics of the subs and amps....now before i get comments on the cabling....understand these are not in their final routing place. Want to make sure I get all the rattles out of the rear lid before I "finalize" (hehe) the cabling.

Also I am no pro box builder so parden the plainess, but these W3v2 12"'s sound pretty d@mn good.

Attached Thumbnails Kenwood DNX8120-img_0897.jpg   Kenwood DNX8120-img_0898.jpg   Kenwood DNX8120-img_0900.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX8120