Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Programming HomeLink to work with apartment complex gates, has anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programming HomeLink to work with apartment complex gates, has anyone done it?

Hey,

So my condo complex got sick of people parking in the parking spots and then walking to school and they decided to install a little gate that lets us in and out. Well needless to say i hate that and i would rather them not have it but they do so i have to get around it. They told me that there are three ways to open the gate....

1. Search by my last name in the computer, it calls my cell phone, i push 9 and it lets me in
2. Use the proximity card where u put in front of a little pad and it opens the gate.
3. they have a key fob that you can order that opens the gate.

well my question is this.... is it possible for me to copy the signal from that keyfob and program one of my homelink buttons to it? that would be sweet.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:00 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I think so I did it at my girls complex with the same steps as the grage door opener

Old 09-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had to put my garage door in programming mode.... i dont think u can do that with this gate.......... did u just do the one way programming thing?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:49 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
she had a remote control and I held the button down so the mirror could capture the signal I think, I cant remember to be honest

Old 09-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our garage door openers are only able to work with certain frequencies. The proximity cards that larger apartment complexes use work at different frequencies and only the base is active. The base actually powers the card looking for the correct ID. So it's a completely different system working on different frequencies. It will never work.

What you could do is superglue a carbon-fiber rod (to save weight) and glue your card to that so when you drive by it swipes automatically.

Last edited by roots4x; 09-07-2008 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by roots4x
Our garage door openers are only able to work with certain frequencies. The proximity cards that larger apartment complexes use work at different frequencies and only the base is active. The base actually powers the card looking for the correct ID. So it's a completely different system working on different frequencies. It will never work.

What you could do is superglue a carbon-fiber rod (to save weight) and glue your card to that so when you drive by it swipes automatically.
I think the proximity cards are most likely RFID technology.
Either way, the OP was talking about using the remote, not the card.

To the OP - if it's the same as my friend's apartment, you can always tuck the card somewhere out of sight... http://www.bayareaprelude.com/forums...ic.php?t=13586

Old 09-07-2008, 10:08 AM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
i programmed my gate to work off of my mirror.
gates usually do not have a rolling code like the garage, which is why you have to put the garage into learn mode then do all remotes at once.

just hold down the button on your gate clicker and the button on the mirror, and hold them down until the mirror light starts blinking quickly and you should be good to go

Old 09-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dofu
I think the proximity cards are most likely RFID technology.
Either way, the OP was talking about using the remote, not the card.

To the OP - if it's the same as my friend's apartment, you can always tuck the card somewhere out of sight... http://www.bayareaprelude.com/forums...ic.php?t=13586
I know what he was saying. But both of you are assuming the keyfob is a remote. It's not. I've lived in places like that and the "keyfob" is the same thing, with the RFID chip (just a coil, cap, and ID chip) inside. The only diff between that and the card are just cosmetic.