Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Amp to bose system help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amp to bose system help

Don't think this is a repost, but I've studied the DIY for adding the sub to bose system thread in and out, and I was about to order the JL line converter from crutchfield when I decided to talk to a rep one more time. He told me that it wouldn't work for the amp i'm trying to run (Rockford Fosgate P6002) and that I need a different type of line converter. He showed me this
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...42SLC4&tp=2001

and told me that that's what I need to get. Before I order this, I just wanted to confirm with other people that he was not mistaken. The system I'm trying to run is the factory bose with a P6002 amp to a JL 10W3V1 in a 4080 box. Reason for this is that I have this amp laying around and don't really wanna spend money on a new one.
Any input helps.
Thanks guys!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What JL line converter were you looking at? It shouldn't be a big deal either way, not sure why he wants you to buy a 4-channel LOC when you're just looking for a sub signal.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't need an LOC to add a sub to your Bose system. Look at the sticky thread again. It shows you what to do. Tap the audio signal before it enters the Bose amp.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
You don't need an LOC to add a sub to your Bose system. Look at the sticky thread again. It shows you what to do. Tap the audio signal before it enters the Bose amp.
Thats what I was looking at, the JL converter, that splices into the speaker wire before the Bose amp, and turns into RCA male jacks to plug into the sub amp. He told me that my amp doesn't have speaker frequency inputs or something of that sort, and that I need low frequency input or something. He said it's the same idea, but different type of converter. Not sure what to do.

This is what I was going to buy
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...SW&i=136CLR2SW

Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Agent F
Thats what I was looking at, the JL converter, that splices into the speaker wire before the Bose amp, and turns into RCA male jacks to plug into the sub amp. He told me that my amp doesn't have speaker frequency inputs or something of that sort, and that I need low frequency input or something. He said it's the same idea, but different type of converter. Not sure what to do.

This is what I was going to buy
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...SW&i=136CLR2SW

Oh, yeah. That just connects the wires from your speaker outputs (or whatever) directly into your amp, it's really not a line-out converter. The difference is that one will be able to control the level of the signal whereas the unit you just pointed out will not.

He is probably concerned about the signal you're feeding to the amp being "too much" signal, which could result in distorted sound or a damaged amp. But, since you're splicing before the bose amp, it should actually be fine.

If you had something like a JL amp, they have a switch that lets you choose between high/low voltage inputs, i.e. "I'm getting the signal from an output of an amp" or "I'm getting the signal from some preouts"

I think what you originally pointed out would actually work for your situation, but a unit with an adjustable level control would be nice, though you could basically get the same result with the gain control on the amp.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:30 PM
So I should go with the one that he told me to get, as opposed to the JL piece? I'm a little confused lol, and i definitely don't wanna F*ck up my amp or sub. Not to sound technologically retarded(long night last night) but please clarify a little more

Old 09-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Agent F
So I should go with the one that he told me to get, as opposed to the JL piece? I'm a little confused lol, and i definitely don't wanna F*ck up my amp or sub. Not to sound technologically retarded(long night last night) but please clarify a little more
Either the JL piece *before* the Bose amp, or the piece he recommended *after* the Bose amp. Might as well go with the adjustable LOC if it's not too expensive.