Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Need INFO:Rear Side Speaker Install Procedure&Problems.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2008 | 03:04 PM
|
Need INFO:Rear Side Speaker Install Procedure&Problems.

Just recently finished the front door speakers. Now I want to continue with the side rear speakers. What problems will I encounter? Do I need Zenclosusers spacers like the fronts? Are there any speaker height issues? Is there a link to side panel removaL? Is Dynomatt also recommened there?
05 Coupe, : BOSE System

Old 09-20-2008 | 03:50 PM
i did the rear side panel speakers myself.. pretty tough job but well worth it... you wanna put some decent speakers back there so don't ever have to get back to it again haha..

just some install tips.. yes you may need a spacer.. the space between the wall and the speakers magnet just depends on how shallow the speaker is.. i bought some infinity reference 6.5 coax's... i actually ended up using the speakers grill surround as a spacer.. i just flipped it around backwards and i worked... i also put dynamat back there just for the heck of it.. i didnt really notice that much difference considering i'm always the one driving lol... but it doesnt hurt to do it anyways..

basically anything you plan on doing to put in those rear panel speakers.. go ahead and do it all at once.. its kind of a PITA to get that panel on and off just to get to them

btw, i dont know if theirs a DIY link here but...

remove the seatbelt bolt on each side.. the one over the shoulder.. theirs some washers and whatnot on that bolt so dont lose those and remember the order theyre in

their may be a bolt on the side their also behind the little tiny plastic cover that says "airbag" etc on it.. remove that also

remove the rear seat cushion.. its just held on by some clips.. just feel along the bottom edge of the seat cushion for something that may feel like a clip and pull up and outta the way

i did everything without removing the rear back cushion.. it might be easier if you did remove it.. but i didnt haha.. i think its just a couple bolts.. and you gotta get in the trunk to pull that little cord to drop the seat

everything else is just mainly clips i believe as far as that panel goes.. their is some foam pieces between the panel and the cars wall.. remember where those go too

oh and get some female speaker end connectors too.. your gonna need those.. the stock speakers have some weird connectors on the end of them

tools you may need... hmm.. a phillips, wire cutters, crimpers, sockets (forgot what size), female speaker end connectors

you know im sure im missing something.. but you'll figure it out along the way.. thats what i did.. i just decided to rip my car apart without any tutorials hahah

im sure someone could add to this lol

good luck man

Old 09-20-2008 | 04:36 PM
|
Exclamation Rear Side Speaker Issues.

Thanks for the Info on diasassembly. For some reason Crutchfield does not recommend the JBL GTO 637 or KAPPAS 63.9 for the side rears. I already have the 637s in the front doors and I'm real happy with them. I would like again to go with the 637 in the rear sides. I just wonder if it is a Depth or Height problem and what adapters are required?
Thanks Avion

Old 09-20-2008 | 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by avion
Thanks for the Info on diasassembly. For some reason Crutchfield does not recommend the JBL GTO 637 or KAPPAS 63.9 for the side rears. I already have the 637s in the front doors and I'm real happy with them. I would like again to go with the 637 in the rear sides. I just wonder if it is a Depth or Height problem and what adapters are required?
Thanks Avion
im sure its a depth issue.. you have to find a speaker with less than 1.75" of mounting depth... the jbl 637's have 2-1/16" of depth...

its very very shallow back there... i would get a spacer if you're gonna use the jbl's... i think a 1/2" to 3/4" spacer should be sufficient.. maybe even a 1" spacer to be on the safe side... but i wouldnt go bigger than that.. otherwise you might not be able to get the side panel back on

Old 09-20-2008 | 06:32 PM
Some people don't even use the rear side panel speakers.

Old 09-20-2008 | 07:51 PM
|
Rear Side Speakers Issues.

Are BOSE rear side speakers identical to the BOSE door speakers? If so a 1 inch Zenclosure adapter ring like the front doors is the answer! If they are different, then I need the to take out the rears to make the exact thickness measurement required. Zenclosures will make any thickness I want.

Old 09-20-2008 | 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by avion
Are BOSE rear side speakers identical to the BOSE door speakers? If so a 1 inch Zenclosure adapter ring like the front doors is the answer! If they are different, then I need the to take out the rears to make the exact thickness measurement required. Zenclosures will make any thickness I want.
no, if i recall, they're not identical... you're gonna need a spacer for the jbl's... i'm sure anything between a .5" to 1" would be fine