Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

I can't fit my amps!!!! HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I can't fit my amps!!!! HELP

I just had a systme intalled in my G and also had a similar noise... although it was more of a hiss. The gains on the Hi low and amp were too high. Have your installer spend some time on adjusting the gains to an apropriate level an the noise should go away. Also, the sound qualitly is a HUGE improvement over stock. I still want an EQ for some tweeking options. Is it me or are the bass and treble controls on the stock deck useless? Oh, and is your hi lo converter conected before or after the bose amp?

"Dont start none, Wont be none"

Old 06-02-2004, 11:29 AM

I'll have him check the gains today. I have no idea where the hi lo converter is connected. And yes, the bass and treble controls ARE useless. Before the install, I could listen to it at volume 22, any higher it would be distorted. Then when the sub and Navone LOC were installed, I could listen to it at 25. Now that the speakers are changed and an amp is added, I can't get past 17 without going deaf. And it's much more clearer sounding. Almost a little too bright sounding, maybe it is a simple fix like turning the gains down on the amp. I think he said it was at 3/4 of the way. Maybe 1/2 way would be the answer. I'll let you know later tonight!!!

Old 06-02-2004, 12:07 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I just had a systme intalled in my G and also had a similar noise... although it was more of a hiss. The gains on the Hi low and amp were too high. Have your installer spend some time on adjusting the gains to an apropriate level an the noise should go away.

<hr></blockquote>

Ditto

BLKSNAKE - '04 G35 Coupe
Check out my hidden sub! [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2004, 01:52 PM

Oh yea, one more problem. Is it possible my A/C isn't blowing out as cold of air as I remember? For some reason, I think the a/c isn't working as good!!!

Old 06-02-2004, 02:03 PM

I bet it's the -12 attuenator (sp?) button on the PPI amp. When it wasn't pushed, mine would hiss like crazy, and only play up to vol 12 or so without distortion. Push it in, turn the gain up just a bit, and you should safely play to 24-25. BTW - The PPI manual says that you "must press it in when using line level inputs"...

It can get a bit tricky if you are using the RCA outs of that amp. PM me if you are still having problems.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:05 PM

Oh and per David Navone himself, leave the gains on the LOC at max. And my Bass/Treble controls work fine but I usually leave them at 0 when playing a cd. When playing sat. radio I turn the treble up to 2 or 3.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:01 AM

Hey Ya,

You are the man!!!! I did exactly what you said, and it worked perfectly!!! It sounds incredible right now. The buzzing is gone, and the sub hits even harder. When we first pressed that button, it muted everthing. Then after turning up the levels, it sounded perfect. Just a few minor tweaks, and it was fairly easy to achive the sound I was looking for. Now I can't wait until the KIT for the dashboard becomes a little more affordable, then I get to start doing some headunit shopping!!!

Thanks Again!!!

Old 06-03-2004, 10:11 AM

Glad to hear I could help! I knew something wasn't right before pressing that button... My installer wasn't too bright either. After I had everything set correctly, he went back and turned off that switch and messed up my gains and x-over! He did this twice! And my system still isn't finished (waiting on the sub/might need new box...) Ahh. Such a pain.

Oh well, at least one of us is bumpin

Old 06-04-2004, 02:06 AM

mounted my JL250/1 in the rear passenger arm rest.we had to cut a little metal to squeeze it in there.there is plenty of room behind either armrest.while your in there, dynamat everything including the wheelwells(taking away some road noise)

Dark Side Of The Moon

Old 06-04-2004, 11:32 AM

You put an amp in the armrest?? Man I bet that gets hot! Any pics?