Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Will I need more power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Will I need more power?

well, here's my .03 :-)

Ask anyone who knows about car stereo stuff and they will tell you that the weakest point in a stock car stereo system are the speakers. You can call Crutchfield for free and I'll bet they will agree with me.

If your stock deck had no power at all like many high end head units that bank on the fact that you'll have aftermarket amps powering all of your speakers, then what joe is saying is true. However, the stock base deck is rated at what 180-200 watts? That's probably closer to somewhere around 12-20 watts per channel rms. This is more than adequate to power an efficient set of speakers. I guess you could get an aftermarket amp that puts out 40-50 watts per channel but that will get you around 3-4 db's (one click up on the volume) compared to what the stock HU can do.

Would getting aftermarket speakers and amps be ideal? You bet but if you're on a budget, do the speakers first. It'll be the best bang for the buck. You can always upgrade the amp later. Otherwise, I guess you could let an aftermarket amp power your stock POS paper speakers.

Edit,
Most of the JL line is good down to 15 watts rms so you won't have any problems using them with the stock system. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by al503 on 05/17/04 04:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 05-17-2004, 09:08 PM

Ditto to Al503.

If you do only one thing, replace the front speakers. I wouldn't reccomend replacing just the tweets.

Start there and see if you're happy. Adding an amp will increase the volume and punch of aftermarket speakers, but begin with the speakers.

Old 05-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it depends on how much you have or want to spend.......

Unfortunately, its a vicious cycle. You upgrade the speakers, sounds ok. You upgrade the amp (w/ LOCs), sounds even better. You upgrade the deck (w/ ~$400 of expensive plastic pieces and an AC controller), it sounds sweet. This is depedent on the quality of the components of course.

The stock Clarion HU may put out 12-20 watts per channel but it sure starts distorting the sound quality IMO similar to reception of an FM station. Try and turn up that treble and turn down the bass and it may sound a little better and a little less muffled. BTW, is the stock deck rated that high or does that include the Bose amp? I heard the stock deck only puts out something like 0.3Volts where most aftermarket decks put out 4-8 volts.

I believe if a non-audiophile listens to a stock "premium" Bose G35 system, a "Premium" system with aftermarket front speaker components, a premium system with stock HU, new fronts, aftermarket amp(s) and LOCs and finally a completely redone system, he/she will definately tell the levels of sound quality difference between each system. BUT, that person wouldn't have know there was a difference until he/she heard the different systems......I know what a stock, stock +speakers+amp, and redone systems sound like. There truly is a SIGnificant difference....

Again, it depends on how much you have or want to spend. I installed my system in phases too except I swapped out all my speakers and amp at the same time and I could tell a significant difference from stock. I guess I can't truly comment from personal experience about the sound quality in swapping just the front b/c I didn't do that. But from reading all the people's posts who did do that, they were very disappointed.

Again, putting $260 Pilot tires on the YUGO will improve handling @60mph but how you would realize the potential of those "high-performance" tires if the YUGO's top speed is only 60mph?

I tried using my stock Bose paper magnets as refrigerator magnets to hold up some family photos but the magnets wouldn't stick very well.....lol

Old 05-18-2004, 01:12 PM

Joepaniolo says "But from reading all the people's posts who did do that, they were very disappointed."

I don't know where that is coming from. I haven't seen these supposed posts.

Yeah, replacing the fronts and adding an amp is the way to go. If you don't want that big of a hassle, replacing the fronts will make a big diff. I'd say get the amp, but it's not my $$.

It all boils down the $$$. There's never enough.

If I had the $$$ I wouldn't be driving an Infiniti! (blasphemy!)

I just got back from Palm Springs, CA. There is the most amazing parade of cars on those streets. I saw Bentelys, and Rolls Royces. Lexus, Benz, Porsche. Infiniti was well represented there too.

Old 05-18-2004, 01:15 PM

If I do go with the speakers + amp, where is the best place to put the amplifier in a coupe without losing any precious cargo room?

Old 05-18-2004, 01:36 PM

I have two. One is mounted to the back of my seat. The other is mounted on a carpeted board on the driver's side wheel well.

Old 05-18-2004, 01:38 PM

Hopefully this photo will attach.

257303-Amps2.JPG

Old 05-18-2004, 01:42 PM

Here's another view. This one shows the sub, behind the driver's side wheel well. (Boston Acoustic 12.5 LF).

257307-Amps 3.JPG

Old 05-19-2004, 08:22 AM

Thanks for pictures 84067.
Looks like a very clean install/setup.
Q: Do you ever fold your rear seats down
for extra cargo room, and if so does your
amp get in the way?

Many of you have suggested opting out of
the premium stereo system and or premium pkg
if I plan on upgrading stereo system.
I agree with this suggestion, execept for the fact
it is impossible to do if you get the stock navi system,
(according to the 'build it portion' of the infiniti website). I am interested in getting the stock navi system, so it looks like I'll be stuck with the entire premium pkg.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:53 AM

One more question for anyone who might know.

My dealer told me this, so please don't jump me for asking.

True or False: There is a subwoofer speaker located underneath the rear passenger seat of the G35 coupe. If true, what is the size of this speaker and why do i never read about it?

Old 05-19-2004, 09:02 AM
Devil's Advocate

Impedance is a 2 dimensional calculation of resistance combined with reactance. Just measuring the resistance with a multi-meter won't get you precise results. I'm no speaker engineer so I'd have to speculate that the reactance in todays speakers is exceptionally low, so you may not bee too far off, but just know that its not only based on resistance.

Old 05-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Devil's Advocate

Should also add that reactance varies at different frequencies. So your impedance at 100 Hz won't be the same as at 10kHz. That's how passive crossovers work.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:21 AM

Ok, that makes sense... And after accessing long lost brain files I do remember a bit of that from electrical theory.

But, I still think in speaker/amp applications, the amp ratings somehow take this into account. Does anyone know for sure?

As far as, in this case, changing from stock speakers to aftermarket speakers the reactance is probably constant in that equation... so the change is still due to the resistance. If my thinking is correct, no matter how we look at it, if we remove a 2ohm stck speaker and install a 4 ohm aftermarket speaker in it's place... it will "see" half the wattage from the stock amp or head unit. Isn't this right? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

J.

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Volk GT-7's/ TEIN Basics
Falken 245/35/ZR19 & 285/35ZR19
Kinetix Racing Camber Rods/ K&N Typhoon CAI

Old 05-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Devil's Advocate

True.

But... you should also pay attention to the sensitivity of the speaker that you are putting in. If it has a high sensitivity compared to the stock Bose you may not notice the difference in power.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:13 AM

Ask your dealer where he's getting his ganga and get me a phone number. There is no sub underneath the rear seats. Your gas tank is underneath it.

It sounds like your dealer rivals mine in terms of incompetence.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will I need more power?