Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Will I need more power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will I need more power?

I'm getting an 2005 G35 coupe, and I am already listening to aftermarket speakers to replace the stock ones.
If I get $300./pair JL speakers, will I need a separate amplifier, or could I get away with using the stock 225w Bose system?

Old 05-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Re: Will I need more power?

for $300 imo i would looke for somethign other then JL.
Focal, MB Quarts, Boston, etc...

Old 05-16-2004, 07:29 PM

I agree with that but I am very partial to "brilliant" MB Quart highs (maybe I am a bit deaf to the softer highs).

There is also something about the impedence of the amp that people have mentioned...

And for the record, I just verified with a multimeter...

The stock speakers are two ohm... so if you install 4 ohm speakers, they will "see" half the power from the Bose amp.

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Volk GT-7's/ TEIN Basics
Falken 245/35/ZR19 & 285/35ZR19
Kinetix Racing Camber Rods/ K&N Typhoon CAI

Old 05-16-2004, 09:11 PM

I went with 2 sets of Boston Pros in my sedan. Great sound. FYI - these run at 3 ohms nominal if you want to get a bit more power out of the stock amp.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:42 PM

I know you guys are gonna think I'm crazy, but shouldnt I buy what sounds good to me?

The last few times I was at Tweeters, I listened to Bostons, JL, and MB. I listened over and over, switching between the speakers. All the speakers were in the $200 to $350. range. The Bostons sounded very good but bright compared to the others. The MB did sound even better, but a little heavy on the bass for me. The JL's sounded clean and just right for me.

I was just wondering if I might need a separate amp or can I stick with the stock 225w unit?

Old 05-17-2004, 02:19 PM

yes this is true. you do have your own listening preferences. if you like the JL the best then go ahead and pick them up.

Old 05-17-2004, 02:35 PM

I'd buy the non-premium car if I were planning on replacing the speakers. If you do that, you won't have an amp to worry about.
Regardless, if you have the $$, I'd reccomend buying an after-market amp.

Old 05-17-2004, 02:36 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The stock speakers are two ohm... so if you install 4 ohm speakers, they will "see" half the power from the Bose amp.

<hr></blockquote>You measured the minimum impedance (DC). The typical impedance values you see for speakers isn't minimum impedance. So, if you measured 2 ohms means that the stock speakers are more than that, maybe 3 ohms or so (I've seen some specs for speakers that have double the minimum impedance as their nominal) . The stock tweeters, btw, measure at 4.0 ohms.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:39 PM

"Minimum" impedence??

What is that?

I know when I measure my MB Quarts and my JL 10W6's I get exactly what the speaker says it is.

So minimal, nominal, maximum... does it matter?

And stock tweeter impedence might add to the issue, does anyone know exactly how all the speakers are wired?

Doesn't the amp "see" the same impedence as the meter does?

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Volk GT-7's/ TEIN Basics

Old 05-17-2004, 03:41 PM

correct me if i wrong, but i still think you will have an factory amp in the car. just not a bose system

Old 05-17-2004, 04:11 PM

The non-premium stereo is powered from the deck. No amp.

Old 05-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Again, the difference between the "non-premium" and "premium" sound system is the addition or lack thereof of the Bose amp and the rear shelf 6x9 "subs". The stock Clarion HU is the same for both the N-P and Prem. systems.

What we need on this forum is the definitive impedence listing of every single speaker in the coupe and sedan. I think this listing has been done before in this forum and on 6mt.net and I think there was some disagreements of the front separates, the 6.5"s being 2 vs. 4 ohms, the stock tweeter being 4ohms, the backseat side panel 6.5" and the rear shelf 6x9's being only 2 ohms. Does anyone know for sure what the exact impedences are of every single speaker?

In any sense, if you change out your front seperates, I would recommend adding an aftermarket amp regradless of whether you have Premium or non-Premium. Some people have only switched out their speakers and not their stock Bose amp and said that the sound quality was improved.

IMHO, you can put Michelin Pilot Sports on a Yugo and you will notice a difference in handling but if you turbocharge that Yugo with the Pilots, you'll notice the real difference.

In other words, you can change out you speakers to JL and they probably will sound better but you will certainly not fulfill their true potential unless you upgrade the power source that drives them (e.g aftermarket deck and amp).

Does this make sense?

docron1

Old 05-17-2004, 06:15 PM

good advice from joe. If you don't want to get an aftermarket amp, get very efficient speakers that do well with little power. Infinity kappas are extremely good speakers that do very well with low power.

Old 05-17-2004, 06:27 PM

Addition to last post...

The Infinity Kappa series are great at low power but the "Perfect" line of the Kappa 's (which includes the 6.1 componet set of a 6.5" mid and a 1" high) are power hungry with a recommended 100 watts RMS minimum.

I will post speaker impedences in its own post. Checking them now.

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Volk GT-7's/ TEIN Basics

Old 05-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Again, my $0.02...

If you are not going to change out or add at the very least an aftermarket amp with the stock HU, don't spend/waste $300 on a pair of excellent speakers that won't make a significant improvement on the sound quality.

Again, if you're interested in improving your sound quality NOW on a limited economical budget, do the aftermarket tweeter upgrade with the RadioShaq $0.99 10uF capacitor mod. Then, save up your Starbucks change for an aftermarket amp and components and then, swap the speakers and amp out when you've filled up your piggybank.

Utilizing the POS (again IMO) stock deck and stock amp (or no amp at all) with expensive aftermarket speakers seems like a somewhat impulsive waste of money for the lack of improvement you'll gain. MIght as well do it right the first time rather than be unhappy with your unfulfilled expectations after the swap.... We've all heard of or read about many people doing simple speaker swaps while keeping the stock HU and amp and being completely disappointed with the result.

Again, just my $0.02

docron1 aka joe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will I need more power?