Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Nav screen won't stay up...and more

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav screen won't stay up...and more

First of all, I am new to this forum and new to the G35. I have been an admirer of these cars (4 doors mainly) ever since the 03 models and so far I am extremely happy with my G35 experience except for the gas consumption...lol.

Three weeks ago, I finally found the G35 I wanted. A silver 4d, 2005 with 18" wheels and the Premium package with Bose sound and a Navigation System. One little problem though. The nav screen rises, then lowers. Sometimes it stays up and when it does, works like a charm but I have only gotten the screen to stay up a couple times. The dealer I bought it from (Volvo) told me the car was still under full warranty so it could be fixed with no out of pocket expense.

And he was right. I took it in to the Infiniti dealer in Charlotte and it was determined that in '05 there were a number of recalls associated with the drive motor that raises the nav screen and it would be fixed at no charge. I was happy. I was also happy to drive away in the '08 G35 loaner car too, lol.

Anyway, I got the car back the next day and before I even pulled away, I tried it out. I was astonished at what I saw when the screen raised up. There were approx. 6 vertical, deep scratch lines in the screen. These were deep cuts and covered the entire height of the screen. Apparently, the guy that installed it didn't notice that (yeah, right) but I immediately called the tech guy over and he was very nice about it. Said he would order a new screen and 2 days later he called me and told me to come in tomorrow.

I took the car in this morning, took another '08 loaner (yummmm) with hopes of getting MY car back today. Nope! After 8 hours, he says they are are still trying to determine whats causing those scratches on the screen. I completely understand and would not want them to install the new screen only to repeat the problem. So, they wanted to keep it overnight.

He said they have never encountered this problem before. Does anyone have a clue here? Geez, I would think they could easily determine what's causing the scratches but apparently they cannot. Guess I'll have to wait another day.

Anyone else have or had nav issues?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
sand??

Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 PM
I thought about the possibility of sand but where and how would that get in there. The screen was scratch free before they replaced the motor.

Here is a photo I took of the scratches caused by the raising of the screen. Yuk!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Holy crap,

Old 09-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Update on scratched screen issue:
Service tech told me there was an "adjustment" screw that the mech didn't know about. Apparently if the screw is too tight, the screen will have less room to lower & raise which could cause scratches on the screen if that area has dust particles, etc. I'm glad they fixed it, and the new screen looks awesome.