Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sound system upgrade on a budget

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2008 | 12:33 AM
|
Sound system upgrade on a budget

I'm trying to upgrade the sound system on my 05 Sedan. This is what I want to get installed

Alpine SPS-600C 6 1/2" Component Set for the Front
Alpine SPS-600 6 1/2" for the rear door

or

Infinity Reference 6020CS Front
Infinity Reference 6022I Rear

Kenwood DNX5120

I already have subs that I will reuse for this system, can I just run these off the radio or will I need a 4 ch amp? Would this be good? I'm trying to spend less than 1k for this not including the DD Kit. If you guys got other suggestions please let me know, thanks.

Last edited by Dominican1NYC; 09-27-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-27-2008 | 12:50 AM
i think it should be fine running off the deck.. the decks only rated at ~22watts rms x 4.. which is really underpowering those speakers.. they can handle a lot more.. 80w rms is what they're rated for.. but you can always add an amp on later.. but it should be ok for now... just don't turn it up too loud.. they'll be too much distortion due to such low power but it'll still sound good definitely

Old 09-27-2008 | 12:52 AM
|
^^
Thanks for the quick reply, what's a good inexpensive 4 ch amp that would give these speakers some power?

Would this suffice?
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19265

Also, with 2 amps in the car will I need a capacitor?

Old 09-27-2008 | 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by Dominican1NYC
^^
Thanks for the quick reply, what's a good inexpensive 4 ch amp that would give these speakers some power?

Would this suffice?
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19265

Also, with 2 amps in the car will I need a capacitor?
i used to have a kenwood amp back in the day.. and i can tell you their older ones were really good.. i cant say much for the newer ones cause i've never used them.. but i'm sure they're just as good

well that kenwood amp you posted up is rated at 50w rms x 4.. thats definitely a lil better than your deck power..

but if you want inexpensive and even more power... look into some of these...

MA Audio M500XE
125w rms x 4ch. @ 4ohms
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=16848

Autotek SM4-800
100w rms x 4ch. @ 4ohms
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19711

Infinity Reference 475a
75w rms x 4ch. @ 4ohms
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19426

Kenwood Excelon KAC-X40
70w rms x 4ch @ 4ohms
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=17653

Hifonics Txi 6408
85w rms x 4ch. @ 4ohms
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=18807

Audiobahn A6004V
75w rms x 4ch. @ 4ohms
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=17046

granted these aren't the "top-of-the-line, crazy expensive, my amp is better than yours" amps.. these are more the "budget minded, i don't care what people say, it sounds good to me, it gets the job done" amps.. you really can't go wrong

and if it were me.. i'd get the MA Audio M500XE... my buddy had MA Audio amps all through his VW Golf running Polk MOMO components and subs... it sounded crazy clean and loud.. he said he never had problems with his amps... the Autotek SM4-800 would be my second choice.. i've heard good things about their amps plus it's only $100!!

Last edited by Nismoboy; 09-27-2008 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2008 | 02:04 AM
|
Wow, thanks for the help with all this. 1 more question, if I get the MA Audio isn't that a lot more power than what I need? Isn't that bad as well? I think I might go with the Infinity speakers since more people recommend those.

Old 09-27-2008 | 08:20 AM
Wow, thanks for the help with all this. 1 more question, if I get the MA Audio isn't that a lot more power than what I need? Isn't that bad as well? I think I might go with the Infinity speakers since more people recommend those.
yes it is more.. but it's better to overpower them then to underpower... underpowering causes clipping and distortion which is what blows speakers.. its harder to blow speakers with more power then it is with less..

plus the amp won't be putting out that much power all the time.. you control that with your volume **** and gains.. don't max out the gain!

so unless you're feeding it a solid sine wave with gains up to the max lol you'll be fine

yea.. infinity's are nice and sound awesome.. i got the reference components in my front doors and reference co-ax's in the rear panels.. they can be ran on the stock deck or aftermarket deck with no problems because they're 2 ohm speakers.. and they can be amped.. those reference comps are rated at 90w rms.. im putting 100w rms to my front speakers and about 25w rms to the rears with no problems whatsoever... i like them a lot

btw... just to throw this out there... you can get a 2 channel amp to run just your front speakers and run the rears off the deck....then run the sub off a separate amp (which is what you're doing already)... i've seen some setups like this and it sounded and worked fine...it helps with sound staging... brings more sound to the front... just another option

Last edited by Nismoboy; 09-27-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2008 | 11:27 AM
|
Nismoboy, thanks a lot. If I could pay you for all the help, I would. I got a better understanding of all this now, I'm going to go with the Infinity speakers F&R. As for amps, if I can find a nice 2 CH amp for cheap I'll prob do what you said, if not then I'll pick up that 4CH MA.

2 last questions.... Will I need a new battery for all this? I still have my stock battery. The other question is will I need some kind of spacers for the doors? I hear some people say yes & others say no, if I do need them what size for the F&R?

Once again, thanks a lot & I greatly appreciate it.

Old 09-27-2008 | 12:07 PM
Nismoboy, thanks a lot. If I could pay you for all the help, I would. I got a better understanding of all this now, I'm going to go with the Infinity speakers F&R. As for amps, if I can find a nice 2 CH amp for cheap I'll prob do what you said, if not then I'll pick up that 4CH MA.

2 last questions.... Will I need a new battery for all this? I still have my stock battery. The other question is will I need some kind of spacers for the doors? I hear some people say yes & others say no, if I do need them what size for the F&R?

Once again, thanks a lot & I greatly appreciate it.
cash only please! hahah jk

yea... you won't be disappointed with the infinity speakers.. they're awesome for the money.. they won't break the bank

i wouldnt think that you would need a battery.. but i guess it wouldnt hurt to get a deep cycle battery like a optima yellow top and a cap also... but then again.. my system is running 500w rms total and i've been through an alternator and a battery since i got the car 5 years ago.. it could be just be normal wear and tear, or even my supercharger haha.. theirs wasnt really anyway proving it was directly related to my audio system

its funny you asked about the spacers... i didnt use one... i actually used the adaptor thing the infinity's came with and i flipped the separate grill surround backwords and it pushed my speakers out far enough to clear the window.. you'll see what i mean if you get those speakers...

but with that being said.. if you got a different brand other than infinity.. it might not come with those infinity brackets.. so i would say yes you would need spacers if that were the case.. but if you wanna be on the safe side and not rig things up like i did haha.. get some spacers

Old 09-28-2008 | 10:15 PM
|
Aight.... just placed my order for all my stuff.

Infinity Reference 6020CS
Infinity Reference 6022I
MA Audio MX500XE
Kenwood DNX5120 w/Ipod cable

All I need to do now is order the DD Kit & I should be good to install next weekend, once again thanks again. Hope you had a safe weekend !!!

Old 09-28-2008 | 10:23 PM

Infinity Reference 6022I
MA Audio MX500XE

All I need to do now is order the DD Kit & I should be good to install next weekend, once again thanks again. Hope you had a safe weekend !!!
wow thats awesome!... should sound really nice.. i love my infinitys! let me know how that MA Audio amp works out for you... i'm thinkin about getting one now haha

Last edited by Nismoboy; 09-28-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2008 | 10:27 PM

Infinity Reference 6022I
MA Audio MX500XE

whoa.. i just realized something else.. the infinitys are 2 ohm speakers.. and that amp puts out 225w rms x 4 @ 2 ohms!!!... that is alooooooot of power haha... be extra careful with the gains! good luck!

Old 09-28-2008 | 10:36 PM
|
Originally Posted by Nismoboy
whoa.. i just realized something else.. the infinitys are 2 ohm speakers.. and that amp puts out 225w rms x 4 @ 2 ohms!!!... that is alooooooot of power haha... be extra careful with the gains! good luck!
Uhhh, lol... damn, I can always cancel & get another one. You think it'll be fine? Would I be better off with this amp since I already have another Alpine?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19262

Last edited by Dominican1NYC; 09-28-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-28-2008 | 10:48 PM
Uhhh, lol... damn, I can always cancel & get another one. You think it'll be fine?
it's hard to say.. i'm leaning towards that it will be fine... i'd rather have more power then not enough.. i'd just turn down the gains a bit... and watch your volume levels... this is something you should do with any amp anyways...

and besides.. the amp wont play at that kind of power all the time unless you're running the gains all the way up and volume all the way up 24/7.. which is really kind of dumb haha

i just hate to think that im giving you all these opinions and then something bad happens.. which of course thats the last thing i want to happen.. so i apologize beforehand.. but i dont foresee anything going wrong if everything is installed and tuned correctly