Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Garmin Nuvi 760 Install *PICS*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Garmin Nuvi 760 Install *PICS*

Thanks to all those who have posted their ideas on mounting an aftermarket nav. I took apart the radio last night and ran the nav plug up through the center console and behind the radio. You cannot hard wire these new nav units with fm traffic as the traffic receiver is built into the cigarette plug. This way it is nice and hidden and I still get my traffic updates!

One oddity I noticed that may just be me, but I had to pull out the radio to get the wire behind it. I didnt realize the faceplate to the radio was just a faceplate and not attached to the main radio unit. I pulled the faceplate and a ribbon cable came disconnected. I reconnected the ribbon cable after I ran the wire and put it all back together. Everything works but i swear I lost some bass. I checked all speakers and they all seem to work but there isnt as much punch as their used to be? Maybe it's just me?

Anyhow here are the pics of the final install!

Old 10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks mad clean bro.. But isn't it annoying that the middle cubby is open when you need the navigation? Because I was trying to buy a GPS as well but was wondering where I should put it.. I was thinkin the same concept but when I need it, I can take it out and put it on the dash right above the AC vent next to the ignition! That way the cubby will be closed so it doesn't bother me... How bout it?

Old 10-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Personally I dont think its annoying at all. I used it to find a business this morning and it works great. What dont you like about it there, the fact that its down low or its taking up your cubby space? Just curious..

Old 10-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No, I don't use the cubby at all for any reason. The corner of my eye is gona keep getting irritated by having the cubby open like yours. Plus, would that make a difference in looking at the center digital stuff?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Looks good... What did you use to mount that? Is it just the factory mount the unit came with? Does the cubby open and close without having to readjust the gps unit every time?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
very clean install

Old 12-03-2008, 10:53 PM
i have the same g, and got the same 760 and tried to mount the unit but am having trouble. how did you get the 760 to stick to the cubby top?
thanks,
rob

Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
details please!

Old 12-04-2008, 12:54 AM
mounted mine the same way but i used a metal bracket that i made for a 2 bucks from home depot

the metal mount comes off if you need it in another car and the gps unit rests on the front of where the lid closes so all the weight is suported and will not move even when cornering hard

will take picture and post in a new tread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:40 PM
great thread

I just got the same unit, I wanted to see how you mounted it to the cubby door. I do not like the idea of velcro. Also it is detachable, to use in other cars? I guess the power cord will be the only item difficult to remove. I thought of getting a ball the same size as doc, and mounting it to the cubby door somehow. But it looks like it's been done, no need to recreate the wheel..... please share details and photo's, along with dash disassembly link.

thanks!

Old 12-05-2008, 03:58 PM
mount

found this mount, looks like this could fasten to the cubby door easily and doesn't appear to be spaced out far enough to cause issues with door operation. What do you all think?

http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-moun...ramholga26.htm

Old 01-23-2009, 09:15 AM
I actually cut down the mount that came with the garmin, made it flat then screwed it into the lid. It worked out really well, no issues.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by 03stage2
Thanks to all those who have posted their ideas on mounting an aftermarket nav. I took apart the radio last night and ran the nav plug up through the center console and behind the radio. You cannot hard wire these new nav units with fm traffic as the traffic receiver is built into the cigarette plug. This way it is nice and hidden and I still get my traffic updates!

One oddity I noticed that may just be me, but I had to pull out the radio to get the wire behind it. I didnt realize the faceplate to the radio was just a faceplate and not attached to the main radio unit. I pulled the faceplate and a ribbon cable came disconnected. I reconnected the ribbon cable after I ran the wire and put it all back together. Everything works but i swear I lost some bass. I checked all speakers and they all seem to work but there isnt as much punch as their used to be? Maybe it's just me?

Anyhow here are the pics of the final install!

Hey bro...is there any way you could share a picture of the inside of the cubby hole? I just got this Navi after seeing your install. I think it looks fantastic.

Anyway, I just want to get a better idea on how to install the mount inside the cubby hole. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:04 PM
I just got a Garmin Nuvi 2555 for christmas and want to install in the cubby. I bought my 05 Sedan a couple months ago, got a really good deal on it at auction and have been hooked to this site ever since.