Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

2 ohm impedance door speaker options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 ohm impedance door speaker options?

what 6 1/2" component speaker sets are available that are 2 ohm impedance?

I'm looking to upgrade the door speakers but keep the bose amp and HU....seems like the only 2 ohm option is Infinity 6020 reference.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Kappa series are also two-ohms. I purchased the 60.7cs, which was last year's model. I think the 60.9cs is the new product, but personally I'd get the 60.7's if you can still find them. The price would be way cheaper and the difference in sound quality negligible. I just looked on eBay and there are only two for sale at this point. When I bought mine two months ago there were a ton of auctions for these!

Having said that, if you are keeping the stock Bose amp/HU, I don't know how much the Kappa's will benefit you. Word on the street is they sound great but don't have the most impressive bass response. Mind you, this is with the speakers hooked to an aftermarket amp. I have no idea how they would sound with stock.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Installed the Kappas on the stock HU

I installed the Kappas 60.7cs in the doors on my 05 coupe. The do sound quite a bit better than the stock bose. I also added the kappa 6x9 on the rear deck and 6.5 on rear side panels. Got last years models from Crutchfield and saved quite a bit. I'm still on the stock HU and amp (which equalizes the 6x9 as subs and 6.5 as mids only). Overall quite pleased. Next I'll add an amp and sub. Looking at the Alpine PDX5 amp since its small 5 channel, and I don't need to wake up the neighbors.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thx, i have seen alot of people on here using the kappas and i will look into those closer. I listened to the reference 6020 at best buy and they did not sound very good...it may have just been the display there.

Any other 2 ohm options available?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BOSE replacement Speakers at 2 OHMs

Two main choices I found were, Infinity Kappas or JBL GTO Series.
I have already installed the GTO 637 in the doors with Dynamatt. Vast improvement! Now, I'm presently installing the same for the rear sides and the GTO 937 in the rears. I plan to have the whole install complete by this weekend.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by redwillow
thx, i have seen alot of people on here using the kappas and i will look into those closer. I listened to the reference 6020 at best buy and they did not sound very good...it may have just been the display there.

Any other 2 ohm options available?
i got the infinity reference 6020cs components and they sound amazing, loud and clear! although i do have them amped at 100w rms.. those displays at bestbuy don't do them justice at all...

another 2 ohm option are the image dynamics chameleon components.. kinda pricey but they sound awesome too.. my buddy had them in his altima

Last edited by Nismoboy; 10-08-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:43 AM
JTO
Or you could just buy 4 ohm speakers and not worry about it.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by JTO
Or you could just buy 4 ohm speakers and not worry about it.
well he would have to worry about it if he got 4 ohm speakers.. the stock bose system is 2 ohms all around.. so he has to stick with 2 ohm speakers cause he wants to keep his stock Bose HU and Amp

running 4 ohm speakers on the stock HU may cut the power output in half.. or it might not be stable at all to handle a 4 ohm speaker which is not likely.. but who knows.. stay safe and get 2 ohm for stock HU/Amp setups

Old 10-08-2008, 01:15 AM
JTO
No a higher ohm load will never damage amp. Only a lower impedance because you will cause it to pull more current and it will eventually burn itself out. You are actually putting less strain on it then it would see at 2 ohms. Yeah your cutting your power in half but as long as it gets loud enough for you then its fine. Plus it gives you a lot more options to buy a set you may actually like rather then limiting yourself to 3 or 4 sets. Here is a good explanation. Its talking about going from 4 ohms to 8 ohms but this is a similar situation and all the rules still apply.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31

And yes i do know its stable at 4 ohms. That is how i am running it till i have a chance to put an amp in.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by JTO
No a higher ohm load will never damage amp. Only a lower impedance because you will cause it to pull more current and it will eventually burn itself out. You are actually putting less strain on it then it would see at 2 ohms. Yeah your cutting your power in half but as long as it gets loud enough for you then its fine. Plus it gives you a lot more options to buy a set you may actually like rather then limiting yourself to 3 or 4 sets. Here is a good explanation. Its talking about going from 4 ohms to 8 ohms but this is a similar situation and all the rules still apply.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31

And yes i do know its stable at 4 ohms. That is how i am running it till i have a chance to put an amp in.
yea i figured it wouldnt damage the stock amp... but i personally dont like the fact it may cut some power to the speakers.. i like my sound loud haha but i guess its up to him to decide lol

Old 10-11-2008, 01:21 AM
could use your help, ;)

Originally Posted by Nismoboy
i got the infinity reference 6020cs components and they sound amazing, loud and clear! although i do have them amped at 100w rms.. those displays at bestbuy don't do them justice at all...

another 2 ohm option are the image dynamics chameleon components.. kinda pricey but they sound awesome too.. my buddy had them in his altima
hey there Nismoboy, hey I just got these same speakers. I'm a newbie to this aftermarket install stuff, but so far so good.

but I guess i have to mount these to something (mdf)? the stock bose front door speakers on my g35S sedan are much bigger than these.

how do install these? any advice?

Old 10-11-2008, 02:04 AM
You need MDF spacers for the speakers to sound good. They bridge the gap between your door cover and the speaker itself. The spacers attach to where the factory speakers went, then the speakers attach on top of the spacers. Try eBay and search for 'G35 spacers' or 'ZEnclosures'. I got mine from ZEnclosures and I HIGHLY recommend them. The MDF is high quality and he has the 5" center diameter cutout that fits perfectly with the Infinity 6.5's (he told me the center ends up coming to 5 1/16" I think, which makes for a perfect fit).

Old 10-11-2008, 02:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i was wondering if i was to go with aftermarker 2 ohm speakers and later on down the line i get a aftermaket HU, do i need to upgrade my speakers to 4 ohm?

Old 10-11-2008, 02:47 AM
Nope, because there are plenty of 2-ohm stable amps out there. Plus, the Infinity Kappa 2-ohm speakers have something called True Four Ohm technology, which sounds like its supposed to prevent your amp from drawing too much of a load, thus damaging the amp. Not sure how that works exactly but either way you should be fine with 2-ohm speakers.

To be safe, just look at an amps specs and it'll tell you if you're good to go or not. For example, I just ordered this amp and here are the power specs:

Kicker ZX150.2

RMS Power Ratings:
60 watts x 2 chan. @ 4 ohms
75 watts x 2 chan. @ 2 ohm
150 watts x 1 chan. @ 4 ohms

Peak Power Ratings:
120 watts x 2 chan. @ 4 ohms
150 watts x 2 chan. @ 2 ohms
300 watts x 1 chan. @ 4 ohms

My Kappa 60.7cs's handle up to 90 watts RMS and 270 peak...

Old 10-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^^
well i really don't know much about audio.but i was wondering if i could add like 1 10" sub w/ a amp and run this off of my stock HU ? along with upgrading my door speakers.. or its best to just wait it out and buy a single or double din to give the speakers its true power ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 ohm impedance door speaker options?