Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

subwoofer direction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2008 | 02:58 AM
|
subwoofer direction

hi guys, i searched and couldn't find any information as to how to best mount a sub for sound quality.

i have the 08 sedan and have a 12in jl sub + 500watt alpine amp. this will be my first sub ever and i was wondering how you guys would recommend to install it in terms of box type (sealed, ported, bandpass) and speaker direction (headlight facing, taillight facing).

i am not looking for the loudest sound but something that will hit the low end of a variety of music (i listen to everything from rap to rock to jazz)

i've talked to two installers and they suggest either
1) ported, forward facing.. through the ski pass
-installer #1 says this configuration is supposedly good because there is no need to dynamat and the sound goes directly into the cabin rather than getting stuck in the trunk
-installer #2 says this configuration is not good because the airmovement into the cabin will cause a 'wooshing' sound

2) bandpass, rear facing.. through the ski pass
-installer #2 says this configuration is better because the sound will 'bounce off the back of the trunk' and have a fuller sound back into the cabin.. but i will need to dynamat

i don't know what to make of all of this... from most of the installation pictures in the forums, it seems like most of you do rear facing.. i'm not sure if its for show.. or if its for function. i am more concerned with the sound quality than the look of the installation itself..

thanks for your input.

Old 10-06-2008 | 04:18 AM
Xet
why not just get a small sealed box and face it different directions and test what sounds best to you. it all depends on the car and the listener.

Old 10-06-2008 | 04:31 AM
Rear facing will sound better. Even people who don't install parts for show install subs like this for a reason.

Old 10-06-2008 | 11:30 AM
I would advise against a bandpass.

Old 10-06-2008 | 01:37 PM
I'd advise against bandpass as well. Obviously that installer doesn't understand the term low end music. Bandpass is strictly designed to get loud in upper range frequencies and has a STEEP rolloff.

As for ported, if you want it to pick up those low notes, then you will have to tune it low, I'd suggest somewhere around 28 - 32 Hz. I prefer lower, somewhere in the mid to upper 20's but not all subs are able to handle that.

Firing the sub into the cabin will not get rid of all the vibrations and rattling. and the whooshing sound the other installer speaks of is port noise, which can be possible, however is not always true. I've heard a few setups with the port firing into the cabin and I didn't hear any port noise.

If you truly want to capture low end, you have only 3 options.

1. Ported and tune really low.
2. Go sealed (larger sealed = more lowend)
3. Infinite baffle

Already discussed ported so I'll move onto sealed. I prefer sealed over ported because it has the ability to get lower and it's got a much smoother rolloff and it's a more natural sound.

Infinite baffle is great, but requires a lot of work. You need to seal the front waves from the back waves, so basically all the holes, cracks and whatnot must be covered by deadener, wood, sheet metal, expanding foam, etc.

As for the direction, sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes it doesn't. I would do rear facing, unless you facing it towards the cabin and sealing the rest of the trunk off. I've had to fire the sub upwards a few times because my sub wouldn't fit in my trunk vertically (15" and 18" subs) and I had great sound even like that. Rattling was still there, but after deadening the trunk lid a pisston, I had no issues with the trunk lid rattling at all.

Old 10-22-2008 | 04:58 AM
|
thanks for the replies.. i guess i will have to think more about this.. hopefully i'll have a day off soon and be able to go talk to the installer.

i guess ported and sealed are my options. thanks for all your info guys.. hopefully all eventually be able to get more time off so i can get this installed.. the sub and amp look so lonely sitting in my living room..

Old 10-22-2008 | 09:15 AM
sealed box facing the rear... done!

no worries about tuning the box, or bottoming out your sub, or even subsonic filters.. easy construction and no crazy math work to get the right port!

and yes.. stay away from bandpass.. too boomy and it really doesnt sound that great